Finger Scanner

Cloverfield

Bronze
Jan 16, 2008
UK, Kent
www.CloverfieldMovieForum.com
I sent an email to Apple about this (though it stated i wouldn't get one back as it was just an 'advice' email to help them go further.

But i was thinking to myself, you have all this technology AND it's touch screen...it only makes sense that you can protect your phone from being 'accessed' by having a finger scanner AS WELL as the 4 digit number, which to be honest is not terribly hard to crack.

The finger scanner would pretty much guarentee that no one other than yourself will have access to the phone and if you are a builder or something and your fingerprints have gone or half gone etc you can still use the number code thing.

But come on, it makes sense for this to be installed, i cant see how hard it would be...like money wise and installing wise. I'm hoping in the next update but i very much doubt it...

Thoughts?

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Apple does not accept "outside" ideas very well. You may even get a cease and desist email back. I see Apple's point though, in this "lawsuit happy" country we live in. Say Apple, was already working on putting a fingerprint reader on the iPhone. You look up and iPhone has a fingerprint reader. Now you (not you personally) want to sue Apple for stealing your idea. Yet Apple was working on it before you even emailed them. This is why Apple does not accept unsolicited ideas from the general public. Mark

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I see, well what do you think of the idea anyway?
I personally think that the 4 digit pin is fine. Your idea does have merit, but they can only put so much on a phone. Remember, any type of lock can be compromised. The purpose of a lock is to slow down a thief, and keep an honest man honest..Mark

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
My HP PDA has fingerprint recognition and one out of every 4 tries it fails to recognize my print. I like the idea but I think that the 4 digit pin is enough to discourage nosey people from accessing my phone. I would hate to have an emergency and not be able to get into my phone because it doesn't recognize my print.

Morval

Bronze
Oct 23, 2007
Buffalo,NY
you can make emergency calls without entering the 4 didget pin, so if there was a fingerprint scaner im sure it would allow the same.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I also think, that with no usable file system (if unmodded). Why would there be a need for such security? I really don't care if someone steals aunt Bess's phone number...Mark

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
AFAIK the screen is a touch screen rather than a see screen. It would require another device to read the fingerprint.

The web app you refer to is just a toy - it's not really displaying your fingerprint, just any fingerprint image - at least that's what I read in the developer's website.

coolie

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
All you are going to get is your finger chopped off.

KeKe

Bronze
Dec 26, 2007
I think the 4 digit pin is good enough

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
AFAIK the screen is a touch screen rather than a see screen. It would require another device to read the fingerprint.

The web app you refer to is just a toy - it's not really displaying your fingerprint, just any fingerprint image - at least that's what I read in the developer's website.
Yes, it's a toy of course.

And you are right, there is no chance that the current touch screen can read anything other than touches. It's not a scanner by any stretch...

--
Mike