"Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating"

smitty589

Dec 19, 2008
This is better than the coating on the 3G but my question is will it deteriorate over time due to wear and tear? If so can it be replaced/repaired?

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
It's amazing! It doesn't exist on the 3G. I can tell you, it's like night and day. I barely see any fingerprints or grease smears. As for your other questions about it wearing out, no idea.

Joe

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
yeah im sure it will wear over time which is why im using a screen protector. I bet its durable but sooner or later it will get scratches in it and start to wear im sure.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
yeah im sure it will wear over time which is why im using a screen protector.
Just to play devil's advocate, what's the point of protecting it if you're not going to use it? :p

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
Just to play devil's advocate, what's the point of protecting it if you're not going to use it? :p
ha good question. Mainly because it doesn't bother me all that much, i wipe it down daily with micrifiber anyways so the grease or fingerpints don't really get to me much. Also i want it to be mint in case Apple decides to throw another big update next year so i can get a good resale out of this one.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
I really haven't seen a big decrease in smudges. The smudges don't seem as "smudgy" but they still happen. It IS a lot easier to wipe them off. One swipe with the microfiber cloth I use, and they are gone.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Is there a coating on the 3G?
Yeah there is a coating or something it was treated with but it was probably just for resisting scratches. The 3GS includes whatever was on the 3G but with the oleophobic to resist fingerprints.

fides7

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
San Antonio, TX
i thought i remembered reading somewhere that the 3GS coating was more prone to scratching, that's why for now I have chosen to use a screen protector. I would prefer not to use one but don't want to take a chance :(

bredfan

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
I really haven't seen a big decrease in smudges. The smudges don't seem as "smudgy" but they still happen. It IS a lot easier to wipe them off. One swipe with the microfiber cloth I use, and they are gone.
This is exactly what I've noticed. I almost thought I had a regular 3G when I heard stories of no prints or smudges. Since it seems the same as my V1 with the exception of cleaning more easily.

As for it wearing down over time? I can only assume it would. However, how much and how long before it does would be a question for someone with a bit better knowledge of the substance and it's properties.

Honestly, I doubt I'll have this phone long enough for that to become an issue anyway.

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
I believe the way I use it is the answer to what you're saying. I have it in a holster (The newest one AT&T came out with). This is the best holster I've ever used. As with most holsters, it totally protects the screen when not in use, but when you snap the phone out, you are using the naked screen the way it was meant to be used. :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

JimMayor007

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
The way they upgrade these phones, how long is longevity suppose to be?

isal

Bronze
Mar 22, 2009
Toronto
It isn't as fingerprint-resistant as it is LESS fingerprint-prone.

But hell of a difference... the prints go off so easily!