Fingerscan unlock

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
need i say more?

they're starting to put this feature on laptops, and i wonder if it's possible to integrate that into the touch screen... i'm sure there's a way.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
need i say more?

they're starting to put this feature on laptops, and i wonder if it's possible to integrate that into the touch screen... i'm sure there's a way.

I don't know what resolution the screen is capable of resolving at or how many points it can distinguish at one time, but I would venture a guess that it's not nearly close enough.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Well, the same holds true for the future. You'd need to have the resolution to determine ridge detail on the finger - which isn't impossible as many fingerprint biometric solutions currently do this. However, whether or not this can be integrated into a touch screen I can't really say other than to say that it should be possible from a physics perspective.

neo_gr8est1

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
try this:
If u use customize, go to the spring board strings and change the 'Enter Passcode' to something like 'Finger Print Verification':laugh2:
Sure to get some people thinking...

Jun 11, 2007
Lansing, MI
www.freemod.net
What about instead of something like that, which for now is not likely possible, have a tiny device that plugs in via dock connector that associates itself with a preinstalled app and then locks down the phone. And in case the small device is lost/damaged, there is a corresponding PC/Mac app that can unlock via cable connection, like an iTunes sync.

I don't mean to hijack a thread, but as I was reading through this, I thought of that :)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
not a hijack at all... conversations are two-way streets.

either way, it would be cool to have an easy, personalized, high-tech security feature like that.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
there's a mod over a modmyifone that has a top secret official looking wallpaper/splash screen with the slider as a finger print. Its pretty cool and just what you're talking about.....

...except for the fact that its all LOOKS and really doesn't "secure" anything... Especially the iPhone!

Sep 29, 2007
Don't mean to change the subject but since the iPhone cannot have a finger scanning capability how about instead of a "slide to unlock" at the bottom of the screen there is a customize slider app and you slide your finger in a certain range of motions or even a handwriting recognizer so that you can sign your name or initials depending on how long you wish to spend opening the phone.

Just a thought

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
I think the down fall of a finger scan would be the time it took. For me it would be more of a novelty than anything eles. Shore it would be kewl to show off but it wouldn't be practical to scan my finger every time I wanted to unlock the phone.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I think the down fall of a finger scan would be the time it took. For me it would be more of a novelty than anything eles. Shore it would be kewl to show off but it wouldn't be practical to scan my finger every time I wanted to unlock the phone.

it wouldn't take any longer than the "slide to unlock". anyway, just likethe password on this iPhone, you wouldn't HAVE to use it.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I think the only way this would be practical if it were indeed integrated into the home button, and was a way to bypass the passcode lock. That way, if your hands are cut off as punishment for whatever top secret stuff you stole away and kept hidden on your iPhone, at least you can nose your way into it.

CBRfanatic

Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Bronx
im more then certain this can be achieved on this generation of iPhones. All we would need if the software to be written so that you have the option of making the "slide to unlock" screen the fingerprint screen. Then have a small 1"x1" connector that plugs into the dock connector that you input your fingerprint on, and the only way to change the fingerprint would be through iTunes or 3rd party app. I work for the DoD and we have this for or computer systems and office doors. What you guys think?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
im more then certain this can be achieved on this generation of iPhones. All we would need if the software to be written so that you have the option of making the "slide to unlock" screen the fingerprint screen. Then have a small 1"x1" connector that plugs into the dock connector that you input your fingerprint on, and the only way to change the fingerprint would be through iTunes or 3rd party app. I work for the DoD and we have this for or computer systems and office doors. What you guys think?
this would only be cool, imo, if it were built into the iPhone. extra hardware sucks.

i also like the idea of making it part of the home button.