Finished with Apple.

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by lancer_325, Feb 24, 2014.

1. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

Ok. Today I plugged in my phone to top it up. It was at 44% and the second I plugged it in it jumped to 55%. I have not had any more than 2.5 hours out of the phone since I got it. I do admit I'm a heavy user of the phone but this is a ricicilous statistic for a so called smartphone. We have all heard of other manufacturers recalling their products because of faults. Apple need to acknowledge that they have a serious issue with their batteries. Not a peep out of them about this issue. Thousands of users cannot be wrong about their battery performance. This is just not good enough. I have tried everything to resolve this problem and I'm just sick of basically getting not even 3 hours out of the phone. I'm done with Apple after this phone. Not a peep from Apple about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. snerd

snerd New Member

Peep!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8" using Tapatalk Pro

3. snerd

snerd New Member

LOL! Sorry, that wasn't funny. Hope u get it worked out.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8" using Tapatalk Pro

4. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

Don't worry. It was kinda funny. I've had enough if Apple at this stage. Soon as I can upgrade I'm gone.

5. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

You might be less concerned about battery life if you'd turn the % indicator. I really believe that it can make some people a bit panicky, overly concerned, about battery life. You can lower the screen brightness along with the auto brightness option turned on. Finally, some apps will tend to not let the screen turn off while they're playing a song or station, for example. Just some things to investigate if you're willing.
    YMMV

#5 MrMike6by9, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  6. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

Not a solution I'm afraid. I need to know how much I have left for when I'm away from a power source. Turning off the % indicator will not address the battery issue which seems to be prevalent with Apple iPhones.

7. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Have you taken your device to an Apple store and let them run diagnostics on it?

8. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Forgot to ask, how old is the phone? Under a year they would replace it if there's an issue with the battery. Over a year? Go to ifixit.com and get a battery replacement kit for $30 or so. Friend of mine had same problems with their battery. They went the ifixit route and now get all day out of their phone instead of a few hours.

9. Chancellor

Chancellor Contributor
    Bronze

If calibrating the battery meter doesn't help, I would suggest replacing battery.

I am so "pro" trying multiple devices and platforms. If Only msft/Nokia would make a flagship phone...

Note3/iPhone5s

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I don't have battery life issues with my iPhone 5. There's a lot you can do to improve your battery life. You don't say what you do on your phone. Many games will run a battery down fast. Is your phone still in warranty? Check these tips and if they don't help, take it to Apple as has been suggested. http://www.everythingicafe.com/fix-battery-life-ios-7/
    http://osxdaily.com/2013/09/19/ios-7-battery-life-fix/
    2.5 hours is not normal. I haven't heard where thousands have that problem.

11. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

Thanks. If you check the Apple Forums pages you will see the amount of people over many pages and many topics expressing exasperation about battery and Apple will say nothing. I'm just fed up with ridiculous battery stats. I've tried everything possible with no results. I'm not laying out €100 for a new battery. The phone is over a year old now so out of warranty. Thanks all for the advice on fixing this. I'm just frustrated.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Why didn't you exchange it when it was still under warranty? You should be getting closer to six hours of battery life with heavy usage. Most of the thousands of complaints on the forums are from people expecting more that six hours. It's rare for someone to experience battery life as poor as you have, but Apple will absolutely replace each one as long as you do so within the warranty period.

13. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

In addition to what Europa says, if you approach them at the Apple store with a calm, perplexed frustration versus an angry attitude, you'll likely get free or low cost help or even a swap out. Be nice to them and give them a chance to retain your loyalty. Attitude with them will get you nothing. Just saying'.
    YMMV

14. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

Ok will try that. Thanks all for the help. Just shame to have such a otherwise good phone but bad battery.

15. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

Hey, Lancer. Also check out which of your apps are set for background app refresh. Facebook has a rep as a real battery consumer in that mode.

#15 MrMike6by9, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  16. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

For those who may be interested I think at last I may have found a solution to my dreadful battery problem. I did a bit of research over the weekend and I discovered that by restoring the iPhone via iTunes from a physical download of the firmware seems to have dramatically improved my usage. I'm posting a screenshot of the best stats I've ever had and since I did the restore. It didn't effect my data or apps which is even better. At this rate I hope to be able to exceed 5 hours usage before needing to charge. Here's the link to the article that helped me.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5522640?start=15&tstart=0

[​IMG]

17. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

By the way it's slick pouch's suggestion which I followed. Will report back further after usage. Hope this is the start of good battery performance.

18. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

So how's your phone's battery now?

19. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

Actually surprisingly good. Been pretty much these stats of late and I admit I'm a very heavy user of the phone for news and web browsing. [​IMG] so all in all I'm happy enough because I doubt I'll get any better stats than this. I've also invested in an ibattz battery case which permits hot swapping of a 2400 mAh battery without removing the case from the phone which is perfect. I can either run the phone off the case til that dies then the phones battery or else I can use the phones battery til about 20% left then switch to the ibattz. Sorry for the long reply but I is happy again. .

20. Lucy Preston

Lucy Preston New Member

Hi

I find my battery doesn't last as long as I would hope also. Reading around this forum MrMike6by9 highlighted the issues with having apps open such as face book. I use face book on a daily basis and maybe this is why my iPhone's battery is suffering. Also, can someone clarify the following:

1. You must wait until the battery is at 5% before you fully charge the iPhone. This prolongs the batteries life.

2. A battery has a life of about 18 to 24 months and its a good idea to replace it. My iPhone 5 coming up to 2 years old.

3. dimming the iPhones screen brightness makes a big difference to battery life. I personally tried this and there is not much difference in battery life.

4. Closing down apps in the background uses less battery power.

thanks in advance.