finishing a call, screen doesn't wake

Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas
got a problem. when I make a call and finish, my screen is not waking back up to end the call. if i don't get the person and don't want to leave a message, i cannot end the call. pressing the button doesn't wake the screen. HELP!

sstalk

Bronze
Mar 25, 2009
Lakeside, CA
Does your phone respond to other accelerometer actions? I probably misspelled accellerometer.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
is there something blocking the proximity sensors near the speaker? thats what it sounds like to me. either way, you can also try pressing the lock button to hang up. thats how i end all my calls anyway..

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Hehehe. I might be able to answer that if I knew what that is.
the accelerometer is what senses if you tilt your phone, as in if you were in safari and wanted to switch to landscape.... but honestly, i really don't see what that has anything to do with his problem...

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
my phone is in a case. i'll try making calls without it and see.
yes, that is exactly what im talking about, if you have a 3g with a v1 case or vice versa, the sensors will be covered up and the screen wont come on.

Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas
yes, that is exactly what im talking about, if you have a 3g with a v1 case or vice versa, the sensors will be covered up and the screen wont come on.
it is a 3g phone and it is supposed to be a 3g case. I have had the case for almost a month, but the problem just started a couple of days ago.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Ok to clear up some things.

If the phone was sleeping and you got a call, you slide to answer. Once the call is done and you/or the caller hangs up, it'll go right back to sleeping... this happens instantly.

Now... If you have the wrong case on your phone and its not built for a iPhone 3G the case may be blocking the accelerometer/brightness sensors. Either that or when you are on a call and holding the phone your hand is covering those sensors and the phones screen will go off as if it was against your face.

To determine if something is wrong with your accelerometer open your Ipod and tap artists. Turn the phone onto its side, if nothing happens then thats not good. If when you turn it onto its side (landscape mode) and your album art comes up then rotate the phone upwards and it should display a list. If this happens than thats good and your accelerometer is working fine.

Test it again using Safari. Hold the phone lengthwise, then rotate the phone to landscape mode and the safari window should rotate accordingly.

IF the screen doesn't rotate like it should, then i suggest you power the phone off, then power it back on and see if the problem is still there.
If its still there, connect to iTunes and restore the phone...once done see if the problem is still there.
If it is, then take the phone to the Apple store, tell them what is happening. They will test the phone and since its a software issue you will get a new replacement.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Ok to clear up some things.

If the phone was sleeping and you got a call, you slide to answer. Once the call is done and you/or the caller hangs up, it'll go right back to sleeping... this happens instantly.

Now... If you have the wrong case on your phone and its not built for a iPhone 3G the case may be blocking the accelerometer/brightness sensors. Either that or when you are on a call and holding the phone your hand is covering those sensors and the phones screen will go off as if it was against your face.

To determine if something is wrong with your accelerometer open your Ipod and tap artists. Turn the phone onto its side, if nothing happens then thats not good. If when you turn it onto its side (landscape mode) and your album art comes up then rotate the phone upwards and it should display a list. If this happens than thats good and your accelerometer is working fine.

Test it again using Safari. Hold the phone lengthwise, then rotate the phone to landscape mode and the safari window should rotate accordingly.

IF the screen doesn't rotate like it should, then i suggest you power the phone off, then power it back on and see if the problem is still there.
If its still there, connect to iTunes and restore the phone...once done see if the problem is still there.
If it is, then take the phone to the Apple store, tell them what is happening. They will test the phone and since its a software issue you will get a new replacement.
wait, am i missing something here? the accelerometer has nothing do to with shutting off the screen during a call, only the proximity sensors. that really makes no sense at all... :(

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
Learn something new everyday. Where are the sensors for the accelerometer on the 3g? I had no idea that the cases had to allow them to be visible (I have the Incase Slider for 3g so no issues). I thought it was something like a gyro inside the phone.

sstalk

Bronze
Mar 25, 2009
Lakeside, CA
Okay, thank you London for thoroughly explaining what I meant. (Wow there are some knowledgeable people on here.) I guess the statement about cases over rides my thoughts. So we are back to square one. :)

got a problem. when I make a call and finish, my screen is not waking back up to end the call. if i don't get the person and don't want to leave a message, i cannot end the call. pressing the button doesn't wake the screen. HELP!
Did you drop your phone recently or anything like that? Does your phone's screen go black after you've dialed the number?

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
wait, am i missing something here? the accelerometer has nothing do to with shutting off the screen during a call, only the proximity sensors. that really makes no sense at all... :(
LOL, it was late at night... i mean the proximity sensor, then just a overall test of if the accelerometer sensor was working fine.

robinhooddaffy

Bronze
Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas
phone hasn't been dropped. It appears that it may be the case blocking a sensor. seems to work fine outside of the case. Thanks everyone for their input. You guys ROCK! by the way...............I LOVE MY iPhone 3G!

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
I realize this threads a little old but I had the same problem, took my phone back and Apple gave me a new phone no questions asked.

robinhooddaffy

Bronze
Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas
hey...noticed today when I got a call and was finished, I tried to end the call and the screen wouldn't wake, but moving it around into the brighter light make the screen come on. It seems that the wake up is affected by light.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
hey...noticed today when I got a call and was finished, I tried to end the call and the screen wouldn't wake, but moving it around into the brighter light make the screen come on. It seems that the wake up is affected by light.
the iPhone has an ambient light sensor that detects the brightnessof the room to adjust the screen brightness, but ive never heard of it affecting the screen like that.

but seriously, if you're still having problems you should take it to an Apple store for them to look at. that's the best advice I can give you

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
Why are we worried about the accelerometer when we should be worried about re proximity sensors? I believe they are two different sensors?

Last edited by a moderator: