Fire TV Stick - Cheap for Amazon Prime members

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by Santa, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

Amazon just announced a "stick" version of their Fire box. Maybe not newsworthy, BUT:

If you're already a prime member, you can get one or two for only $19 if you pre-order today or tomorrow. I ordered a couple, well, just because they're only $19!

Click here to see the description

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I've got a Fire TV and like it a lot. It's hard to go wrong at $19. My only concern is that I'm not sure where I'll put them. We have a bunch of Rokus, an Apple TV, a Fire TV and a Chromecast (sitting in a draw).

3. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I'm still using my Apple TV... I have a Roku 3 upstairs and a Chromecast in a box somewhere..

I looked at the Fire TV but it did not have NHL and MLB apps.. These 2 are must haves for me as I subscribe to them for watching my favorite teams play live..

Does Fire TV have them yet?

4. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

we've got a couple non-connected TVs so it's a no brainer.

5. Njshoremom4gurlz

Njshoremom4gurlz Contributor
    Silver

I need something for my daughters TV for Christmas which do u recommend?
    Apple,roku,chrome cast OR Amazon?
    I have Amazon prime

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I'd recommend a Roku 3. I have all of the boxes you mentioned. We use the Amazon Fire pretty regularly, but I find the interface is bit confusing. Roku has the largest selection of apps, it's got a rock solid UI and it's my personal favorite.

7. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Changing my favorite streaming box to the Amazon Fire. It gets the nod simply because it can decode Dolby Digital Plus from Netflix and output Dolby Digital 5.1 to a soundbar or AVR. Advantage, Fire. I bought a Roku 2 (the new one) and boxed it up after a day.

We use the Fire Stick regularly too. Great value for $19. That too decodes DD+.