firmware 1.1.1 is a joke... We'll be free soon enough

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
Listen everyone who is at home $h1ting their pants about this stupid little update... Throw a big FU at Apple or most likely att in this case... But thats not gonna change the sitiuation at hand... To many people are acting like this is the end of the world... Take it from someone who has modded any item in the hose that could be modded... Computers, phones, cars, cable boxes, my brand new tvs firmware, ps2, gameboys, ipods, psps.... Do i have to go on... When you mod something to expand its capabilitys or make it do something it was plain not designed to do you should acknoledge the fact that something might go wrong... If anyone had a psp when themodding first started thenyou know what im talking about... When modding a psp you ran a great risk of bricking it.... And no that does not mean restore and its ok... No DEAD as a frigging rock... Many a great systems were lost to the cause of progress... It took a while and countless firmware upgrades and walkarounds but sony who was adimit about keeping out homebrew finally gave in and stoped wasting time and money on trying to stay a step ahead because as long as firmware is upgradeable then there is a way in.... And what happened to all the little fallin soldier psps that became paperweights? Well someone figured out how to short out the board and clear the memory and restore... This crap will all blow over in a while just give it time to fall from the public eye.... At least we can restore no matter what happens with the iPhone so enjoy your phones and just don't upgrade until you hear from others that its safe... And if younust couldnt wait and are stuck now... Just hang on for a little we will be up and running soon enough.... :)

ojasray

Jul 17, 2007
Listen everyone who is at home $h1ting their pants about this stupid little update... Throw a big FU at Apple or most likely att in this case... But thats not gonna change the sitiuation at hand... To many people are acting like this is the end of the world... Take it from someone who has modded any item in the hose that could be modded... Computers, phones, cars, cable boxes, my brand new tvs firmware, ps2, gameboys, ipods, psps.... Do i have to go on... When you mod something to expand its capabilitys or make it do something it was plain not designed to do you should acknoledge the fact that something might go wrong... If anyone had a psp when themodding first started thenyou know what im talking about... When modding a psp you ran a great risk of bricking it.... And no that does not mean restore and its ok... No DEAD as a frigging rock... Many a great systems were lost to the cause of progress... It took a while and countless firmware upgrades and walkarounds but sony who was adimit about keeping out homebrew finally gave in and stoped wasting time and money on trying to stay a step ahead because as long as firmware is upgradeable then there is a way in.... And what happened to all the little fallin soldier psps that became paperweights? Well someone figured out how to short out the board and clear the memory and restore... This crap will all blow over in a while just give it time to fall from the public eye.... At least we can restore no matter what happens with the iPhone so enjoy your phones and just don't upgrade until you hear from others that its safe... And if younust couldnt wait and are stuck now... Just hang on for a little we will be up and running soon enough.... :)
haha i love the positive thinking.....

Joon

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
What I find absolutely hysterical is that there are people complaining about this update? Kinda the damned if you do damned if you don't. Apple sits on their hands and does not update, and people complain that they are not taking care of their customers. They update and protect their product and people say that Apple is not taking care of their customers.

What I do not understand is, APPLE ISSUED A WARNING TO EVERYONE! It was all over the internet. Don't update if you have an unlocked phone. Simple as that. I don't understand how anyone could think using a program to unlock your phone and then updating would not brick it(or say invalid SIM). Basically what that is is running an illegal version mac OS X on a windows based computer and then running the software update.

I updated my iPhone and had 3rd party apps on it fully knowing I would lose them. I restored my iPhone on 1.0.2 and then update to 1.1.1. For the guys that knew they would lose 3rd party apps or had unlocked phones and updated and are now upset I don't understand that. If it ain't broke don't fix it, and to the people who had working hacked or unlocked phones, you tried to fix something that did not need to be fixed. Lesson learned for all.

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
i predict that within a week this will all be solved and everyone can go back to bitching about the next update taking too long LOL

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
thanks for that post...its one of the few sensical views I've read.
its not the unlocked bricked or lost 3rd party apps that is the main issue (although i don't know why an Apple wouldn't let the latter go).
its the very basic functionality that Apple could (really should) include that'd make the features they do include more well....functional.
I mean I assume Jobs used the iPhone ..and set up his email accounts....and had a couple 100 emails setup... And went to delete, ONE-AT-A-TIME..and said 'well that kinda sucked'...but couldn't call his engineers and prepare a fix?'
I just don't get that! Theres about 6 features like that that are basic imho.
THATS the issue I have with the current update...not all my lost apps...or any relocking.

aaiphone

Sep 21, 2007
its not the unlocked bricked or lost 3rd party apps that is the main issue (although i don't know why an Apple wouldn't let the latter go).
its the very basic functionality that Apple could (really should) include that'd make the features they do include more well....functional.
I mean I assume Jobs used the iPhone ..and set up his email accounts....and had a couple 100 emails setup... And went to delete, ONE-AT-A-TIME..and said 'well that kinda sucked'...but couldn't call his engineers and prepare a fix?'
THATS the issue I have with the current update...not all my lost apps...or any relocking.
Jobs probably has an iPhone running version 1.0.2 with installer.app on it with all the useful 3rd party apps :) (He had an inside tip not to install v1.1.1)

pn.md

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Jobs probably has an iPhone running version 1.0.2 with installer.app on it with all the useful 3rd party apps :) (He had an inside tip not to install v1.1.1)
So true, LOLZ :p

mparkes

Jul 17, 2007
Multi-mail delete is coming with firmware 1.1.2 with the introduction of the "wifi iFeatures store". You'll be able to purchase feature enhancemets for your iPhone like iMultiMailDelete ($19.95) and iPastie ($24.95 copy and paste for you "power" iPhone users! Right on your iPhone !

garmcd

Jun 24, 2007
Seller Rights and buyer Rights!

Apple has a right to sell the iPhone and place whatever restrictions they want on it. Buyer has a right to not buy it if they don't like the restrictions/requirements of ownership.

Apple released/sold the iPhone with the restriction that it only be for use with AT&T. Buyer decides to voilate that restriction/contract and use the phone in an illegal manner.

Apple warns buyer that voilating use contract will result in potential loss of use of phone. Buyer is upset because they're not allowed to voilate use contract because Buyer feels they should be allowd to do as they d*** please with phone.

Hmm...what's wrong with that picture?

Where did we go wrong in this Country where people start believing they have a right to voilate the law-- hack into technology. You don't have that right and if you do so you do so at your own peril. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time--can't handle the result.....

I hope it doesn't get hacked again--although it probably will. I'm just glad I don't own anything that others can rip off and make me fell like I'm the criminal....

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Hahaha youll be hanging on forever,, u screwed yourself with the mods you geekhead. BTW are u an idoit savant or something, your sentence structure and spelling suggest that

tonyj81

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
VA Beach
Apple has a right to sell the iPhone and place whatever restrictions they want on it. Buyer has a right to not buy it if they don't like the restrictions/requirements of ownership.

Apple released/sold the iPhone with the restriction that it only be for use with AT&T. Buyer decides to voilate that restriction/contract and use the phone in an illegal manner.

Apple warns buyer that voilating use contract will result in potential loss of use of phone. Buyer is upset because they're not allowed to voilate use contract because Buyer feels they should be allowd to do as they d*** please with phone.

Where did we go wrong in this Country where people start believing they have a right to voilate the law-- hack into technology. You don't have that right and if you do so you do so at your own peril. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time--can't handle the result.....

I hope it doesn't get hacked again--although it probably will. I'm just glad I don't own anything that others can rip off and make me fell like I'm the criminal....

I'm glad others out there are seeing this as well. I have no problem with others doing what they want with their phones, but i keep mine stock. I'm fully confident Apple will release everything I want in time. In the process IO still have a great product that I absolutely love.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007

Excellent post! I just wish more people could see this and know it's true, so we could go back to an everythingiPhone that helped people instead of a complaint factory.

reality

Sep 29, 2007

You're right! Except for the fact that when you say "buy" one would infer that you own it. Perhaps the more appropriate verbiage would be when you lease, you are restricted to the restrictions/requirements of leasing. "Owning" implies the right to with as you wish, however "leasing" entails restrictions. As a matter of fact from Merriam-Webster 1 a : to have or hold as property : [SIZE=-1]POSSESS[/SIZE] b : to have power or mastery over <wanted to own his own life>
I guess your opinion or outlook might depend on your definition of ownership. If "ownership" implies "conditions", then is it really OWNERSHIP? Do you own your computer and choose cable/dsl?

Is it so illegal to invoke the rights of DMCA, it's law, right?! (Do you know what I'm talking about?)

WHERE IN THE HECK DID WE GO WRONG IN THIS COUNTRY TO THINK THAT WE CAN'T DO WHAT WE WANT WITH WHAT WE OWN, AND WHEN DID YOU DECIDE DMCA (LAW) WAS ILLEGAL, WHEN DID APPLE DECIDE THEY COULD VIOLATE DMCA. WHEN IN THE HECK DID WE IN THIS COUNTRY BECOME SUCH STUPID CONSUMERS AND LET THE "POWERS THAT BE" RUN OUR LIVES? GOOD LUCK TO YOU, BUT I'M FIGHTING FOR THE FUTURE. APPLE SUCKS.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio

We have a right in this country to do what we want with our property, so go back to watching your movie on Lifetime. You're probably a liberal Democrat, too!

2russky

Jun 26, 2007

You are wrong - people who unlocked their phones did not break any laws, everyone who owns iPhone have a legal right to take it apart, unlock it, do whatever they please with it. They did however voilate Apple warranty agreement and Apple has a right to brick any hacked phones.I believe there was FCC ruling few months ago confirming consumer's right to unlock their phones, hovewer phone manufacturers are not required to continue service and support for such devices.

Sep 19, 2007
You think Apple would of learned with their PC version many many years ago. Trying to lock up the system providing no access to third party developers turned Apple from a major PC player to a pimple on Bill Gates butt. They once again are following suit with a very short sighted policy. I surely understand attempts to protect the phone from unauthorized carriers as they have agreements with AT&T to protect. But doing their best to block third party software development is insane. Imagine the tools that would already available if Apple opened this phone up. Instead there are people hacking with semi functioning apps and decnet apps like iPhone RingTone maker that no longer works all in the attempt to rip people of for a dollar a ring tone. FU Apple

Arcangel2176

Silver
Jul 24, 2007
Im a conservative republican and I have to say there are many things like cars for example that if u mod while under warranty your warranty is VOIDED by said manufacturer, so why should Apple be any different with there iPhone than say GM with their product! We as consumers in this country respect automakers, and other companies but yet expect Apple to be ok with us hacking the crap out of the phone. Put this into perspective with other products we purchase and most warranties will be voided by our mods. So if you chose to mod, accept the consequences don't complain when Apple tries to protect it's investment!

Sep 19, 2007
Im a conservative republican and I have to say there are many things like cars for example that if u mod while under warranty your warranty is VOIDED by said manufacturer, so why should Apple be any different with there iPhone than say GM with their product! We as consumers in this country respect automakers, and other companies but yet expect Apple to be ok with us hacking the crap out of the phone. Put this into perspective with other products we purchase and most warranties will be voided by our mods. So if you chose to mod, accept the consequences don't complain when Apple tries to protect it's investment!
Not sure what being a conservative republican has to do with anything but there are significant differences with your analogy. I can go into any auto parts store and add third party products to my GM car, I can have it serviced anywhere I want to and NOT void my warranty. If i do chose to take my GM car in for service at a dealership they do not strip off my third party parts and force me to buy GM replacement parts. Apple can not accept the fact, like every other hardware/software technology company that 3rd party developers make the product stronger and more appealing to the market.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
You're right! Except for the fact that when you say "buy" one would infer that you own it. Perhaps the more appropriate verbiage would be when you lease, you are restricted to the restrictions/requirements of leasing. "Owning" implies the right to with as you wish, however "leasing" entails restrictions. As a matter of fact from Merriam-Webster 1 a : to have or hold as property : [SIZE=-1]POSSESS[/SIZE] b : to have power or mastery over <wanted to own his own life>
I guess your opinion or outlook might depend on your definition of ownership. If "ownership" implies "conditions", then is it really OWNERSHIP? Do you own your computer and choose cable/dsl?

Is it so illegal to invoke the rights of DMCA, it's law, right?! (Do you know what I'm talking about?)

WHERE IN THE HECK DID WE GO WRONG IN THIS COUNTRY TO THINK THAT WE CAN'T DO WHAT WE WANT WITH WHAT WE OWN, AND WHEN DID YOU DECIDE DMCA (LAW) WAS ILLEGAL, WHEN DID APPLE DECIDE THEY COULD VIOLATE DMCA. WHEN IN THE HECK DID WE IN THIS COUNTRY BECOME SUCH STUPID CONSUMERS AND LET THE "POWERS THAT BE" RUN OUR LIVES? GOOD LUCK TO YOU, BUT I'M FIGHTING FOR THE FUTURE. APPLE SUCKS.
When will we ever be free of all that whining?Do what u want with your iPhone. Put it in the blender or the microwave, but don't expect Apple to support you when you do something idiotic or illegal. Doesn't matter what you feel or want, it is their software. You're not fighting for the future. The future will see to it that rights and ownership are respected.