Firmware 1.1.4 might be out with SDK...

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
'Claiming that it is “working with Apple and with their SDK (software development kit) for the next firmware release and SDK applications,” a company called “Tiny Code” has pulled it’s repository of unofficial third-party iPhone software “for legality reasons” and says “you should see us soon on iTunes.”

Tiny Code maintains a collection of software for the iPhone, comprising fixes for other unofficial applications, including fixes that “reduce the chance that an old app won’t work with firmware 1.1.3+.”

The company also has a strange message on its site sidebar that says “Now targeting fw 1.1.4 Alpha 2,” apparently referring to an upcoming iPhone software/firmware release."'

http://www.iPhoneatlas.com/2008/02/15/developer-claims-its-working-with-official-apple-iphone-sdk/
http://www.iphonealley.com/news/iphone-sdk-running-on-firmware-version-1-1-4

--

Mike

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I think most thought we will see an update whenever SDK is released. This would make sense to get the iPhone ready.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I think most thought we will see an update whenever SDK is released. This would make sense to get the iPhone ready.
yes I've been saying for some time now that another update would likely appear with the SDK. The big question is whether 1.1.3 will still support SDK apps. Time will tell...

--
Mike

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
yeah, because as Nate announced earlier in January, 1.1.3 is supposedly already fit to run Apples official apps.. or something like that, read about it here - cre.ations.net/blog

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I just hope the jailbreak for 1.1.4 can be made a lot easier than current methods.
I'd like to be able to just glance at the iPhone and whisper 'Free yourself' and be done with it :laugh2:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Nice find. 1.13 is SDK ready, but 1.14 with it wouldn't be much of a surprise. Perhaps it's this 'unbreakable' firmware we've been hearing of.

- John

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
Actually, I'm kinda wondering what will become of the Jailbreak app development crowd once they realize they can go legit and make money selling their stuff on iTunes? Do you think most will "join the dark side" as it were?

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
I'm sure some will go to the darkside. But I'm sure some will make apps available for free downloads

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
I've not seen the businesss model for the SDK, but it's been rumored that any apps that are sold via iTunes nets Apple 15% of the sales price as revenue.

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
i'm very excited to see what'll happen with the SDK. my hope is that Apple will allow a lot of flexibility with the developers, but will also enforce apps being updated and bug-free. installer and 3rd party apps are great, but it's such a pain to find fixes for all the stuff that doesn't work with 1.1.3.

i can't wait to see what the end of february brings. in the meantime, i'll enjoy my jailbroken phone.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I just hope the jailbreak for 1.1.4 can be made a lot easier than current methods.
I'd like to be able to just glance at the iPhone and whisper 'Free yourself' and be done with it :laugh2:
You practically have that now for 1.1.3 with ZiPhone 2.2, at least for Windows. I ran the GUI program, selected jailbreak, and about thirty seconds later, my brother had an unlocked iPhone. It doesn't get much easier than that.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
You practically have that now for 1.1.3 with ZiPhone 2.2, at least for Windows. I ran the GUI program, selected jailbreak, and about thirty seconds later, my brother had an unlocked iPhone. It doesn't get much easier than that.
Yeah, I used ZiPhone 2.something and it was ridiculously easy - that's kinda why I was joshing about it getting easier :laugh2:

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
it would seam that the jailbreak has ben mad as about as simple as it posibly can be. I can't imagine how it could get any easier.

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
Well, I think 1.1.3 could have been SDK ready, but the early release of these jailbreaks pretty much threw a wrench into the machine.

Its common sense that Apple would want to protect it's third party developers from piracy, and thats just where this open infrastructure can lead. I can't think of one previously closed platform that was opened for homebrew that didn't also leave the door open for software piracy. Look at Installer for example, its being used for iRom now, a rom repository for all the consoles being emulated on the iPhone. Its only a matter of time before it gets worse, especially if SDK apps were released on 1.1.3 as it is now.

The SDK key has been posted, so you could assume that cracked apps with decrypted binaries would follow SDK releases not long after. This is why I think that 1.1.4 has to happen before the SDK apps hit the shelf on iTunes.

Apple has bent over backwards for the music industry and DRM, its about to take that to a new level with 1.1.4 and SDK apps. Having just one app go rogue after launch would effectively turn off Apple's "Blind Eye" switch with regards to the homebrew community and turn on "Seek and Destroy" mode.