Firmware 2.0 Beta OUT for YOU !

J

jashsayani

Hi all,

Just got the new 2.0 Beta firmware that Apple released for the Developers.
And guess what? Its also for YOU.

Its for both iPhone and iPod touch (2 versions).

Get it now from by Blog ---> direct link to the firmware download !

http://theifoneblog.blogspot.com

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
If you actually type in the address and not follow the link, he's good to his word. The torrent file is link on his site. Now whether or not it's a legit file, that's up for debate. :D

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Had a friend try this and it didn't work out so well. We spent more time just getting him back to 1.1.4 than anything, and once we finally got there his modem firmware wasn't recognized because the baseband was flashed to 4.05 :T Cool way to turn your phone into an iPod though. He returned it for another, I'd hold off on anything until iLiberty or ZiPhone are updated to address the new baseband firmware.

Caveat Emptor

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Had a friend try this and it didn't work out so well. We spent more time just getting him back to 1.1.4 than anything, and once we finally got there his modem firmware wasn't recognized because the baseband was flashed to 4.05 :T Cool way to turn your phone into an iPod though. He returned it for another, I'd hold off on anything until iLiberty or ZiPhone are updated to address the new baseband firmware.

Caveat Emptor
thanks for the warning
i guess i'll stay clear of the beta

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Unless you're a cheap developer, what can you possibly gain by upgarding NOW to 2.0? It doesn't make any sense.

tzhourdeka

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
Can anyone else confirm that this is fake? I'm really tempted to download it.

aaronsiphone

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007
why are you tempted to download? Just so you can be the first on 2.0 woop de do! It won't give you anything extra at the mo! If you want, me and a few others can rig your iPhone so it looks like your on 2.0...I.e 2.0 logos and change your version code to say 2.0 seriously I don't see the point in even wanting to upload now.

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
why are you tempted to download? Just so you can be the first on 2.0 woop de do! It won't give you anything extra at the mo!
Wouldn't the EAS (Exchange Active Sync) work? Not saying I either do it or condone it, but there might be some value in it.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
Wouldn't the EAS (Exchange Active Sync) work? Not saying I either do it or condone it, but there might be some value in it.
I'm not sure about that, so i can't confirm or deny. But i hear its pretty buggy so to me there isn't much a of a motivation to upgrade.

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
I'm not sure about that, so i can't confirm or deny. But i hear its pretty buggy so to me there isn't much a of a motivation to upgrade.
The Beta is all about the enterprise functionality which is all about EAS. So it should work to some extent.

Can you please share what you've heard about its 'bugginess'?

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
The Beta is all about the enterprise functionality which is all about EAS. So it should work to some extent.

Can you please share what you've heard about its 'bugginess'?
I haven't heard anything specific about this being buggy or that, but reading through threads and just general information, people who wanted to upgrade to the the firmware for the sake of upgrading (not because they are a developer) were suggested not to because its not worth it because of the bugginess.

tzhourdeka

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
So has anyone else tried downloading this onto there iPhone? I have a folder on my mac named "iPhoneos2.0.sdk" Is that the beta? I don't know how to download it onto my iPhone. Can anyone help?

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
So has anyone else tried downloading this onto there iPhone? I have a folder on my mac named "iPhoneos2.0.sdk" Is that the beta? I don't know how to download it onto my iPhone. Can anyone help?
2.0SDK? Did you download this from Apple or somewhere else? There is a 'new' SDK that adds the Interface Builder, but I don't believe it is rev labeled 2.0 (the dmg is labeled iPhone_sdk_9a2151).

Anyway, I don't thinks so. That should be the developer kit that allows you to create aps for the iPhone. The Enterprise Beta is something else.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I am running the current 2.0 beta (I'm an official Apple developer so my copy is a legit copy). Unless you really, really want the EAS support, I'd recommend holding off on upgrading. The 2.0 is really buggy right now. You'll get lock-ups and random crashes all the time forcing you to reboot the phone. It's not bad enough that it makes the phone unusable, but it can be pretty annoying. But it is a beta firmware so you have to expect that. Also, you'll find that newer songs bought through iTunes won't play on the iPhone (I'm assuming some DRM problem).

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
I am running the current 2.0 beta (I'm an official Apple developer so my copy is a legit copy). Unless you really, really want the EAS support, I'd recommend holding off on upgrading. The 2.0 is really buggy right now. You'll get lock-ups and random crashes all the time forcing you to reboot the phone. It's not bad enough that it makes the phone unusable, but it can be pretty annoying. But it is a beta firmware so you have to expect that. Also, you'll find that newer songs bought through iTunes won't play on the iPhone (I'm assuming some DRM problem).
Excellent. Thank you. Can you tell if the crashes are from the EAS code or something else that was added/tweaked?

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Excellent. Thank you. Can you tell if the crashes are from the EAS code or something else that was added/tweaked?
I'm pretty sure all the crashes have to do with EAS. I can't imagine that much else has change, though I could be wrong. I wouldn't even try to add a custom ringtone or picture to someone, you'll be crashing left and right.

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
I'm pretty sure all the crashes have to do with EAS. I can't imagine that much else has change, though I could be wrong. I wouldn't even try to add a custom ringtone or picture to someone, you'll be crashing left and right.
Forgive me for being dense, but can you elaborate on the relationship between crashing due to custom ringtones or pictures to contacts and EAS (Exchange Active Sync). Are you stating that the contact db may be being corrupted in the syncing process?

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Sure. I have my contact set up to use the exchange server contacts. What would happen prior to beta 3 is if you tried to add a picture or a custom ringtone to a contact, the contact program on the iPhone would hang up, then it would return you to the home screen. When you went back to contacts, the custom picture or ringtone was not on the contact and suddenly you had two, three, sometimes 4 of the same contact.

With beta 3 they've fixed the multiple of the same contact problem. They've also fixed the custom pictures. They all work great. Custom ringtones still crashes contacts, but they are most definitely making progress.

Also a note to anyone who is interested, beta 3 is MUCH more stable. I haven't had a crash or hangup yet other than custom ringtones. Overall things seem to be progressing really nicely on the beta. I'm glad Apple released this build.