Firmware Released to Make Your Old iPod Video's UI Look Like the New iPod Classic

Discussion in 'iPod Classic' started by princess_80854, Oct 15, 2007.

1. princess_80854

princess_80854 New Member
    Silver

I found this over at Driven Designs. They have released a modded firmware update for 5 and 5.5 generation video ipods to make them look more like the new ipod classic.

You can watch this YouTube video to see what it looks like prior to downloading.

Ready to take the plunge? Here are the download links..

5th Generation iPod
    http://generaciondealcance.com/drivendesign/classic/ClassicFirmwarefor5Gv1.0.zip (OR)
    http://rapidshare.com/files/62552350/ClassicFirmwarefor5Gv1.0.zip

5.5 Generation iPod
    http://generaciondealcance.com/drivendesign/classic/ClassicFirmwarefor5.5Gv1.0.2.zip (OR)
    http://rapidshare.com/files/62583102/ClassicFirmwarefor5.5Gv1.0.2.zip

Thanks to Driven Designs for this information.

**EDIT**
    INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS

I found this install guide that is missing from the download package.

1. Download iPodWizard 1.3.7 here
    2. Download the firmware. Make sure you know if you which version of the iPod you have. There is a very suttle difference between 5th gen and 5.5 Gen!
    Now follow these steps:
    1. Select “Firmware File” as edit mode and press “Open Firmware” after.
    2. Locate the folder where the you unzipped the 5G Classic Firmware.
    3. Double click the file called “5G Classic Firmware”
    4. Modify the firmware the way you want to. The background image is at index 138.
    5. Press “Write” first and press “Write to iPod” next. Make sure you press “Write” first of the changes won’t be saved.
    6. Go into your taskbar and look for the “Safely Remove Hardware” and unmount the iPod
    7. Your iPod will automatically reboot itself with the new UI
    Caution
    There have been many reports of this firmware putting ipods into an endless boot loop.
    BUT DON’T WORRY
    This problem is not permanent, and is EASILY fixable.
    But before you do anything, to help avoid this problem, Take caution to some vital steps in the installation proces.
    • Make sure you have the correct firmware for your ipod. If you have a 5g get the 5g firmware. If you have a 5.5g get the 5.5g firmware.
    • Make sure your using the latest version of IpodWizard. The latest version, 1.3.7, can be found on this site.
    • Make sure no other programs are accessing your ipod at the time of writing the firmware. Including iTunes.
    • Make sure you give IpodWizard time to write the firmware, it will alert you when the writing is complete.
    • Safely eject your ipod with the “Eject” button in IpodWizard.
    If you install this firmware onto your ipod and it doesn’t start up, and remains at the Apple logo
    Then it’s in a Boot Loop, but is VERY easily fixed
    Press and hold the center button, and the play button at the same time, until the “Disk Mode” screen appears.
    From here you can connect your iPod to your computer and safely restore your firmware Using any backups or other firmwares you may have. You can then use iTunes and restore your iPod back to the stock firmware

2. Youngbinks

Youngbinks Zealot
    Gold

Ah that's pretty cool. I just got my 160gb iPod Classic this weekend and I'm loving it.

3. scandalex

scandalex Member
    Silver

I thought iPod Video was 5th generation. Whats 5.5?

4. blacklabel775

blacklabel775 Member
    Bronze

Excellent find. I am in the process of updating now.

5. blacklabel775

blacklabel775 Member
    Bronze

I asked myself the same question. I figure this is the answer:

Apple came out with the 30 and 60 gig Video iPod's first. Those are Gen 5

In late 2006, Apple came out with 30 and 80 Video Ipods. I believe those may be 5.5. Not exactly sure, but thats what i understood it as.

Also, to the OP:

I figured there would be instructions in the zip file, but i don't see any.

Any instructions?

6. princess_80854

Silver

5.5 is the iPod video with the 30% brighter screen, the added search feature and the ability to play more games like Bejeweled and such.

7. iPhone3.0

iPhone3.0 New Member

iPod Nano Upgrade ?

Is possible to use Classic Firmware in the 4Gb iPod Nono.

Thanks

8. scandalex

scandalex Member
    Silver

Princess, thanks for the reply.

Not trying to be funny, but how would someone know by looking at their screen if it was 30% brighter? 30% brighter than what? I have 1 iPod (80GB) which has games. Am I to assume based on what you posted that I have a 5.5? Does that mean the 5 (whichever one that is) is 30% darker.

There's got to me some way for a novice to know which one they have and if this is a 1st iPod, then comparing it to brightness sorta doesn't make any sense.

9. princess_80854

Silver

The 5.5 version has a brightness setting in which you can change the brightness level. The default brightness level is set at that of the ipod video 5 generation. As you increase the brightness, you'll see a difference. (It's actually 60% Brighter instead of 30)

The 5.5 version also has an enhanced power scroll and search feature for more efficient track navigation. When you are scrolling rapidly through a long list, the power scroll will be automatically activated. A shaded square will appear on the middle of the screen with a letter on it, allowing you to scroll by first letters instead of individual items on the list. As an alternative, you can choose Search from the Music Menu, and locate podcasts, songs, artists, albums or videos by keyword or by letter.

10. noobpwn

noobpwn New Member

Ipod Wizard

Does anyone know how to use ipod wizard on a Macintosh?

11. VoyArrasando

VoyArrasando New Member

How can you figure out if your ipod is 5 or 5.5?

12. cpolaris502

cpolaris502 New Member
    Bronze

don't worry about it too much, just try either one and if it gives you an error message just restore and try the other. if you bought your 5g within the first few months that it was released it is most likely just a 5, not 5.5. you will probably not have many scratches either because the early ones scratched very easy.

i just got it working on mine. its cool to see something else besides the normal screen. its not exactly like the classic much at all, it doesn't show the album art in the artist lists. it took a few tries to get it working smoothly, the first two kept going into the boot loop. and when you connect to iTunes, don't upgrade the software, it will put it back to normal.

13. beethoveniano

beethoveniano New Member

Having trouble

I have problems with the write to ipod process. The program said that i have a program running my ipod and it is not truth because I closed iTunes and all programs.

14. cutecub00

cutecub00 New Member

Excellent find. I am in the process of updating now.....
    Gin rummy