first cell contract what do i need?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
What kinda stuff am i gonna need to bring with me on friday? I.D., SS card, money anything else?
You need to be able to pass a basic credit check. If you don't have established credit they may ask for a deposit which can be refunded after a year.

LTownBrodown

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Landrum, South Carolina
You need to be able to pass a basic credit check. If you don't have established credit they may ask for a deposit which can be refunded after a year.
I called the other day and they did one for me and since i don't really have any credit yet, im only 18, they said i will have to pay $100, which isn't bad since i will be able to use this contract to build my credit anyways...

so anything else?

soloudinhere

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
They run the credit check with your SSN and birthday.

And don't use a cell phone contract to build credit. It doesn't. Cell phone companies only report default, they don't report proper payment. You won't gain anything from having a cell phone contract.

JackBauer

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
New York
Oh and I am going to be an AT&T coustomer with a new number and everything on the 29th (hopefully) would it be a bad idea to go to my AT&T store this week and setup all my info (SS, Credit Check, ect.?) Can I even do that?

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Oh and I am going to be an AT&T coustomer with a new number and everything on the 29th (hopefully) would it be a bad idea to go to my AT&T store this week and setup all my info (SS, Credit Check, ect.?) Can I even do that?
I think you can but it is worth a trip over there to find out. Anything that speeds up iDay for you.

LTownBrodown

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Landrum, South Carolina
Yeah man you can, i did it over the phone with the manager at my local AT&T they said it stays in he computer for 30 days. Just give your local store a call and tell them that you want to talk to the manager and he can do one for you.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
It only takes a minute or two for the credit check. It's almost as fast as getting a credit card purchase approved. Don't sweat it unless you're afraid there's something on your credit history that might cause a problem.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I know im only 16 and you may not believe me 100 percent but I work at a mortgage/financial company. If you want to build credit take the "gift card" approach. Put aside about 100 and then get a credit card and ONLY use it for the 100 dollars worth of stuff. It can be anything gum candy w.e. then make all your payments. You won't need to worry about missing any because you know how much you are gonna spend and will not go over that. GOOD LUCK

JackBauer

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
New York
Yeah man you can, i did it over the phone with the manager at my local AT&T they said it stays in he computer for 30 days. Just give your local store a call and tell them that you want to talk to the manager and he can do one for you.
But If I go to the store, can I do it with just a normal employee, or do I have to go to the manager?

captain4004

Bronze
May 2, 2007
Charleston SC
$300 deposit 4 me

I called the other day and they did one for me and since i don't really have any credit yet, im only 18, they said i will have to pay $100, which isn't bad since i will be able to use this contract to build my credit anyways...

so anything else?
No big deal for you, I have to throw down a $300 deposit but I am still going to get one, get my deposit back after a year. What it all means in the end is no eating out, going to movies and a whole lot of PBJ sandwhiches for a while :laugh2:

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
FYI cell phone contracts don't really help to build credit in a general sense. It will help you with AT&T, in the future. In terms of improving your credit score, though, it won't help. The cell phone companies do not report to the credit bureaus, unless you default. So it does not really help to build credit.

Just make sure you pay your bill on time, so it does not hurt your credit.