First day working at McDonalds

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Alright This is the story of my first day at McDonalds, I felt a mixture of anxiety and nervousness when first starting at McDonalds cause everyone is so fast and experienced its just demoralizing:p

4:30, I arrive at McDonalds. I had not been given a uniform yet so I just wore my regular preppy type clothes, it was an Abercrombie shirt with the A&F jeans, and pumas:cool: I walk in and theirs a cute olds couple enjoying their Big Mac and "senior" coffee, I walk up to the counter and tell them that "today is my first day at McDonalds( with a smile of course), and that I was ready to work and get started". The lady at the front counter couldnt believe that they had hired another member, not that she didn't like me or anything just that are McDonalds is right next to the Mall and is the 2nd busiest in town- We have 93 workers spread throughout the week!
"She" takes me to the "break-room" where she gives me a uniform consisting of 2-packs of shirts, and 2-pairs of pants, a Workers Cap, and SHOES! But of course with my bad luck the shoes hadnt arrived- Reminding you Im wearing suede pumas, so I she gives me the clothes and tells me to go change in the lobby's bathroom- cause they're isn't a special "employee's" bathroom. I walk out with the 1st bag of shirt & pants towards the bathroom, and I notice that their is indeed ANOTHER person getting interviewed lol! Gladly their were no one in the bathroom so it was me and the sounds of clothes being torn outta the bags. Sadly 15 year-olds have to wear "Brown-shirts" so I guess everyone knows they're not anyone important at McDonalds haha!
I come back with the clothes and the hat on and the 1st manager tells me that I can rip the top portion of the cap off to make is a visor only! I was like meh lol! I ask them "that since Im 15 and have no choice but to work the cashier Im gonna need some training and maybe a helper!"- I was really anxious and nervous to deal with the public when it came to the cashier, and all I could focus on was not messing up so badly that I get a customer who wants to yell at me or throw things at me ya kno;)
Since I have such badluck, I find out that the trainers cash register is broken and out for repairs- ON MY FIRST DAY! So I'll have to be trained upfront at the counter on spot! I couldnt believe how easy the casheir register is cause its basically just the pictures of the food, and you just press the # or if they want a Apple pie or McFlurry you press "dessert" then find it, If they want a BigMac with no cheese I press: "M" for medium/meal, #1 with the picture an everything, coke- cause the customer gets their own drinks, ask them "will that be all?" they probably say no, I ask them "Is this for here or togo?" they say which I press the button, I give them the total, they probably hand me a $5 dollar bill, I press "exact 5" in the machine and it tells me the change of the order. . .Amazingly easy!(Super Serious)
Everything at McDonalds is so simplified even down the broom and dust-pan lol! The casheir has food with pictures and various menus, The Cooks have "beepers", and notifications to when the food is done, I mean it is just so simple!
-Its like everything is made for the employee to be in charge of various operations, or for new people like me:p
Ofcourse there was a learning cuvre to where something's in cash register is located, like for example I would never expect to find the the option of having a McFlurry without any M&Ms in the "Grill" options area. But they slowly let me take the customers orders without much help, and I began to get wicked good! Im not nowhere as fast and quick as the experienced people were, but I could get things done with "small-talk" throughout the process which is good:laugh2:
As I got to the end of my shift, they told me that I had to do some cleaning- which is what everyone has to do as they shift begins to end- so I first had to the dreadful kids area! There was coke, and sweet & sour sauce all over the place! French fries, wrappers, etc that I had to clean-up haha, and sadly got some of it on my pumas:sick:. Then I had to return used trays back up the counter, gladly I didn't have to clean the bathroom.
At 7:30 I just had to sign out cause for the "Training period" I cant work as long as I would like buts that o.k, they told me the reason was because they don't/ and cant have someone who doesn't know the job that well "yet" cant be expected to be thrown out front alone without the/a constant need of help which is plausible
-But I need to get proficient at my job soon cause I need those hours in-order to guarantee my iPhone before summer is up.

THE CUSTOMERS
-They actually werent bad at all, probably cause I told them before hand that this was my first day, and surprisingly I got a congrats or a welcome! I hated the people- and didn't realize this was also me- who would come up to the counter and then start looking to decide what they wanted haha!, instead of already knowing what they wanted! I also got annoyed by the "seniors" when they would tell me like 20x that they were a senior and wanted they're "senior discount" coffee, then give me like 100 pennies! And it got quite hard trying to the signature McDonalds Smile for 3 hours lol! AND I KEPT FORGETTING TOGIVE THE CUSTOMERS THEIR VALUE MEAL CUPS!
-Of the 30 or so customers I served I only messed twice: These 3 hot blonde's came in and ordered Tea, small fries/ with no salt- how sterotypical-,and cookies, I took the orders and everything but I forgot to give them their 3-pack cookies cause I could not find the grabber thingy- cause you cant just touch the cookies with your hands duh!
-The second was when this Peter Griffin looking guy comes in and orders a "plain" double chesse burger, small fries, and a diet coke haha! I got it to him and everything, but I did not know what a "plain" double cheese burger was? So he comes back and asks that he wanted a "plain" double cheese burger and my "runner" replaces it quickly :) -Luckily he knew it was my first day

Well that was my first day working at McDonalds as a "Crew Casheir", and overall I can tell that this will be an O.K job, definitely not a career but...

Pros:
-Everyone is nice, and has a personality
-Customers are nice( well today they were)
-Amazingly easy, I guarantee you children could do this coming out of 4th grade! Everything is computerized, or simplified in some way
-The smell of food is just so irresistible
-Overhearing random gossip is funny!
-They have a super-flexible schedule
-Its a job
-Food

Cons:
-The smell of food is just so irresistible
-Im still no experienced speedy person with the cashier
-Cleaning the kids area
-Being 15
-Might gain some fat over my muscles
-Its McDonalds( but its a start)

Any Questions?

Btw, What I found really weird is that I cant do "nothing" until I'm 16, I cant cook, I cant even insert fries into the McD fry cup! And I cant even work the hours I want to work until then, and since I turn 16 in september I can probably only work week-ends full time to pay my iPhone bill!

Last edited by a moderator:

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Wow. It seems like you enjoyed it. Hope you never have to clean the bathrooms :D

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Wow. It seems like you enjoyed it. Hope you never have to clean the bathrooms :D
Yeah I really hope I don't cause when I was their I went into the bathroom to wash my face, and they're was this old guy in their that was breathing really hard going towards the stall:sick: It was so scary cause he looked hurt, or like as if he was about to collapse
- I asked him if he needed help, and he told me "No thank you, Im a Marine we don't show pain or emotion, Ill be alright young man:cool:"
But I stayed outta sight anyways to make sure nothing bad happened;)

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Yeah I really hope I don't cause when I was their I went into the bathroom to wash my face, and they're was this old guy in their that was breathing really hard going towards the stall:sick: It was so scary cause he looked hurt, or like as if he was about to collapse
- I asked him if he needed help, and he told me "No thank you, Im a Marine we don't show pain or emotion, Ill be alright young man:cool:"
But I stayed outta sight anyways to make sure nothing bad happened;)
Lol. Wow...that bathroom guy was...interesting... lol

H

Hayesimus

Well congratulations! Sounds like your first day went fairly well all things considered. On my first day at Dairy Queen, I wore my DQ polo buttoned all the way to the top(because I for some reason thought you had to lol) and everyone made fun of me! Then the manager up front would come by and say,"HEY! do you want us to talk to you?!" And I just shook my head no because I was so scared. That was back in my introverted days. Well the Store Manager was working that night and he told the front manager to go easy on me,"He's a scared little bunny." lol. yeah. that is a direct qoute referring to me!

It didn't take long for me to come out of my shell and I soon became the DQ prodigy. I was the best at the register hands down. And I made blizzards faster than anyone. I knew what went on everything without looking. The only thing I hadn't memorized were the prices. But I still knew quite a few of them. I even knew that if you bought 2 dilly bars separately as opposed to buying them on one ticket, you saved a penny. lol. Vital info huh?

Its so silly. But I really miss those days. When all you had to do was work to make enough money to go see a couple movies on the weekends and buy clothes. No house payment, no car payment, blah blah. If I ever get to retire, I'm probably gonna go back to DQ lol. It was just a fun job.

H

Hayesimus

I used to do things extra up at work too. Like I'm pretty artistic, so i would make signs they needed and all that on my time off. Like a list of procedures and all that so that people wouldn't have to ask the manager and stuff. Me and a Manager friend even came up with mottos. She came up with the shake motto: "Not too thick, not too thin, but right up to the rim." It was okay, but I thought my blizzard motto was better: "Make it thick and to the top and mix it well before you stop!" lol. What do you think? I even made a little book out of post-it notes with each blizzard and all their ingredients and amounts listed so people could learn it a little easier since it wasn't written down anywhere. I'd give it to the new ice cream workers and they laugh about it, but everyone would tell me how it actually helped them out a lot.

okay okay. enough of how much of a dork I was back when I was 16! :p

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Well congratulations! Sounds like your first day went fairly well all things considered. On my first day at Dairy Queen, I wore my DQ polo buttoned all the way to the top(because I for some reason thought you had to lol) and everyone made fun of me! Then the manager up front would come by and say,"HEY! do you want us to talk to you?!" And I just shook my head no because I was so scared. That was back in my introverted days. Well the Store Manager was working that night and he told the front manager to go easy on me,"He's a scared little bunny." lol. yeah. that is a direct qoute referring to me!

It didn't take long for me to come out of my shell and I soon became the DQ prodigy. I was the best at the register hands down. And I made blizzards faster than anyone. I knew what went on everything without looking. The only thing I hadn't memorized were the prices. But I still knew quite a few of them. I even knew that if you bought 2 dilly bars separately as opposed to buying them on one ticket, you saved a penny. lol. Vital info huh?

Its so silly. But I really miss those days. When all you had to do was work to make enough money to go see a couple movies on the weekends and buy clothes. No house payment, no car payment, blah blah. If I ever get to retire, I'm probably gonna go back to DQ lol. It was just a fun job.
Forgot to add in my post that I did get to make two things today, and I failed horribly at both:p
-The first was a McFlurry and you have to this spining thing with the cone and the machine or something! I messed it up horribly! I really don't know how to really practice it cause If I did, I'd waste 100s of dollars of ice cream:p
Then they tried to teach me how to make a ice cream sunday, I messed up on that also but as bad as the Mcflurry! Cause first you get the cup, pull the lever down for the ice cream and then pull down the lever for the chocolate syrup, put the cup on, then put then put the spoon in
-Then get this! The spoon has this special hole in the middle cause you have to put it on the special machine that spins and mixes the ice cream!
-I don't think I'll ever try to work any of the ice cream:sick:

okay okay. enough of how much of a dork I was back when I was 16!
Nah bro, I need all the help I can get especially from an very experienced worker in the same industry as I was in, so post away man :laugh2:

Last edited by a moderator:

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Forgot to add in my post that I did get to make two things today, and I failed horribly at both:p
-The first was a McFlurry and you have to this spining thing with the cone and the machine or something! I messed it up horribly! I really don't know how to really practice it cause If I did, I'd waste 100s of dollars of ice cream:p
Then they tried to teach me how to make a ice cream sunday, I messed up on that also but as bad as the Mcflurry! Cause first you get the cup, pull the lever down for the ice cream and then pull down the lever for the chocolate syrup, put the cup on, then put then put the spoon in
-Then get this! The spoon has this special hole in the middle cause you have to put it on the special machine that spins and mixes the ice cream!
-I don't think I'll ever try to work any of the ice cream:sick:

Nah bro, I need all the help I can get especially from an very experienced worker in the same industry as I was in, so post away man :laugh2:
I think that is the most complicated way to make a sunday I have ever heard of...lol

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Or even a sundae!

Congrats on the first day! Remember that they won't always be easy, they won't always be fun, and you won't always have hotties, but at least you'll be saving for your iPhone. Print a pic of an iPhone and put it in your wallet or someplace handy so that you can look at it for inspiration. :)

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Or even a sundae!

Congrats on the first day! Remember that they won't always be easy, they won't always be fun, and you won't always have hotties, but at least you'll be saving for your iPhone. Print a pic of an iPhone and put it in your wallet or someplace handy so that you can look at it for inspiration. :)
Once he gets his iPhone, he'll have a hottie with him all the time ;)

H

Hayesimus

true, the 3g iPhones come with a complementary hottie...

1228064766_d2558f9602_o.jpg

H

Hayesimus

only if you jailbreak lol

H

Hayesimus

i'm pretty sure its a thirdparty app. :p

H

Hayesimus

oh i thought you said you were jailbreaked/jailbroken. :p

You could just wait for the app store. It might be there. lol

H

Hayesimus

haha. send an email to Apple requesting the chick-reeling app. lol

H

Hayesimus

i think that when you email Apple it tells you directly that they will not respond. at least it has every time i've emailed requesting like a music video or something.

H

Hayesimus

I got your IP burn... And I'll raise you a knuckle sandwhich!

knuckle sandwich.jpg

H

Hayesimus

i was in a hurry or I woulda put one of those POW! balloons like on the oldschool batman show. :D

H

Hayesimus

batman.jpg

Pow!..........

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Things really have changed with McDs. Sounds like you had fun and it was good that you asked that person in the bathroom if he needed help...very observant and thoughtful.

I don't remember my first day but we didn't have fancy-shmancy electronictronical cash register, they were the mechanical type where you had to know the prices, punch them in and be able to figure how much change to give back by doing the math. You got good at it really fast too. The friers were the only things that had timers on them and you had to cook the burgers by eyeballing them and know when they were ready to flip. The cashiers would call the order back to the grill on a mic and we had to remember 5-6 orders ahead but there weren't as many things on the menu as there is today. They didn't have computer displays to refer to. You got good at remembering stuff.

When they opened the first McDs in a mall around here, they got people from several stores to come in and run it on the first day because they expected HUGE crowds, and the crowds showed up. Each person had a specific job and for 3 hours, mine was to put mustard on Quarter Pounders. Just mustard, nothing else. Other people put ketchup and pickles on them, others toasted the buns and others put them together. That was just for QPs. There was about 12 people back on the grill that day and we were busy the entire time. I think it was the first store to open in a mall anywhere in the country. This was back in 1977.