first generation home button, charge, speakerphone not working

reme

Aug 29, 2009
My brother gave me his first generation iPhone a couple of weeks ago. The LCD(a few 'streaks' on the upper side)/digitizer(wouldn't respond on a couple of 'rows)/screen(shattered in corners) needed replacing, but everything worked really:). I jailbroke it, it took 3 times and many hours of searching, but I got it done and it synced, etc. and work with my AT&T sim card.

I ordered a new lcd/digitizer/screen combo off of ebay, OEM part for it and installed it(after MANY hours):D. At first, it wouldn't come on, I took it apart again and looked to see if everything was hooked up and put it back again. I hooked it up to my computer to charge and the Apple came to screen(so excited!), it turned on, but the battery was at 20%. The screen/digiter/lcd work beautifully, but now my Home button and speakerphone will not work(i can still hear through the earpiece, just when i switch to 'speakerphone' or try to listen to tunes, nothing). Also, my phone will not charge! i've tried all my chargers, my computer, outlet, my husbands computer, etc....nothing. it will not register as 'charging'. :mad:

i've been searching for an answer and the only thing i've read seems to be pointing to the 'flex cable', located behind the battery. I couldn't/didn't pry the battery out when I replaced the other stuff, it was glued with cement and i was afraid of tearing it. i leveraged on side of it, but the other side wouldn't budge, so i didn't take it out. I also didn't remove any of those wires-under-the-glue, none of them.

i've cleaned a good bit of 'lint' out of the thing. I pryed the home pad up with the button when i was pulling off the old screen, i wonder if i pulled something loose without knowing? i wonder if something under the battery is jacked from my trying to pry it out initially? i was VERY careful, used those plastic tools and didn't get too risky on removing parts. the home button fell out, but i put it back in correctly. i opened her up a 3rd time to make sure i didn't rip the home button flex thing, but it looked intact/fine.

i've spent ENDLESS hours on this phone, researching, reaching, fixing and now that the screen is lovely, now the other stuff doens't work!:mad:

i may loose my mind! can anyone offer any help as to WHY the home button and speakerphone aren't working and why it WILL not charge--it's not even recognized in iTunes! like i said, it's weird when i have it OFF, then plug it into charge, it turns on but does not charge.

sorry so long winded, this is my first iPhone experience and it's thusfar been exhausting!:sneaky: everything is put back flush, looks great, won't work.

thanks!

reme

Aug 29, 2009
I left it plugged in overnight and now the battery is full. it did not respond it was charging(it was off), but when i turned it on, the battery was full. iTunes will not recognize it still and the other problems still exist(home button, speakerphone).

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I had these problems with my 3G. I dropped it, it only fell about a foot onto the floor, no visible damage. I put the phone on charge and it wouldn't charge (even though it was), even iTunes couldn't recognize it. I could make and receive phone calls but no one could hear me. My home button ceased to function as well. I was lucky to have mQuickDo installed, as you can use gestures to get round the home button.

I'm happy with taking the device apart and looking for the the usual problems. But i'm not so sure about a V1 as it looks like i'd probably break it ;(

I took mine apart after I got my problems and all it was, was a unseated bit of ribbon cable (wires). At first glance it appeared to be in the correct position, but wasn't making contact.

So, I suggest you take it apart again and have a good look at wires. Make sure there all pushed together properly.

If you have a digital camera, take some pics and post them up here, it may help others in the future with there problems.

Let us know how you get on.

reme

Aug 29, 2009
I've taken it apart twice more and the same result, no working home button, no speakerphone and no iTunes recognition. i'm at a loss.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
You may have broken a part when taking the phone apart or re-assembling it. There are plenty of places you could send your phone to, which are available on the net.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Is it possible that the phone had some water damage? It could be that the phone appears fine but water has messed up the dock connection area.

reme

Aug 29, 2009
There is no water damage or dropping. The home button, speaker, and charging/iTunes were in absolute working order until I replaced the LCD/digitizer/screen. After reassembly, screen/lcd/digitizer are brilliant and the other stuff is kaput!