First Generation iPhone running 1.1.2

KGMJr32

Bronze
Oct 15, 2007
Boston, MA
Hey all,
I haven't upgraded my phone due to the horrible reviews I have read about 1.1.4 and even worse ones about version 2.0. I am not unlocked and/or jailbroken and I am happy with the results but I don't want to fall too far behind on upgrades.

Has anyone upgraded to 2.1 with a first generation iPhone?

If so, how has it been?

chrismmm

Silver
Dec 27, 2007
Gwinnett, Georgia
yes i did. i resisted for a long time.not as long as you but a month ago i switched over. just like any other firmware it sucks. summerboard doesn't work right and has been replaced with a weaker version called winterboard. the jailbreak process has been replaced by quickpwn'd for hacking th platform. i certainly understand your hesitance. i too was very comfortable with my setup and malability...i don't necessarily regret it. I do like cking out new shi! and it has been an adventure. Anyway regardless of what i say you will do your research and make your own decision. good luck and bear in mind just like 112, 113 it will take you some time to get it tweaked to were u want it. Have fun!

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
2.1 is dramatically better than what you have. Do it.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
How have you been able to stand it this long without any 3rd party apps? Do upgrade - the App Store is terrific with lots of free apps that will dramatically increase the functionality of your iPhone.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
First of all, you were misinformed on 1.1.4. That was an awesome FW... very stable and thoroughly supported on the jailbreak scene. I camped out on a 1.1.4JB for a looong time with my V1.

I finally made the switch with 2.1. It's stable, fast, and is compatible with appstore and jailbreak apps. It's the best of both worlds and yes, it is time for you to make the jump.

Quickpwning is different than ZiPhone, but not really much more difficult or time-consuming. Read all about it here on this forum.

Mike12000

Bronze
Oct 22, 2007
Southern Illinois
My 1st Gen phone has been working well since I upgraded to 2.0. It did lock up a few times early on, but interestingly enough, I haven't had any problems since 1) quit using my Aurora Feint game app and 2) learned that there are problems with using the App Store directly on the phone. I now do all my app DL'ing/updating through my PC. I've haven't updated to 2.1 yet because of all the bad experiences (battery life, etc.) I've read about, but I'm itching to get my phone up-to-date.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
learned that there are problems with using the App Store directly on the phone. I now do all my app DL'ing/updating through my PC. I've haven't updated to 2.1 yet because of all the bad experiences (battery life, etc.) I've read about, but I'm itching to get my phone up-to-date.
While some have had worse battery with 2.1, I would say the majority here noted an improvement in battery life with 2.1 (especially with a 3G phone). Also, 2.1 eliminated the concern with using the Appstore on the phone... it works flawlessly now. They did, however, remove the "update all apps" option from the iPhone. You can still do it from iTunes.

Elbacanazo920

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Bronx, NY
Hey all,
I haven't upgraded my phone due to the horrible reviews I have read about 1.1.4 and even worse ones about version 2.0. I am not unlocked and/or jailbroken and I am happy with the results but I don't want to fall too far behind on upgrades.

If so, how has it been?
You patience level must be insane. I don't even know if 1.1.2 iPhones exist anymore. I'm a person that is always hitting the check for upgrade button every 5 minutes. Congratulations and yes do upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:

KGMJr32

Bronze
Oct 15, 2007
Boston, MA
Thanks for the input everyone...How would say the battery life is for the first Gen phones and 2.1?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It's great here. As good as ever, if not better.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Hey all,

If so, how has it been?
WOW man when I first read this thread I thought it was from like last year or something so I checked the date it was like 2 weeks ago you posted this haha!
-How can you have gone this long without even have updated to 1.1.4 bro:eek: Update to 2.0 and Jailbreak then you really reall really wont regret it Im tellin ya man;)

KGMJr32

Bronze
Oct 15, 2007
Boston, MA
My phone is work issued so I am not going to be jailbreak but I went to 2.1 and as suspected am having a tough time with battery life. I just charged from 10% and reset. I hope this works...

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Work issued:eek:
-Wow man that is cool :cool:

But its great that you finally upgraded haha cause you were like the last person in the world besides the sealed v1 iPhones who was still on firmware 1.1.x :p;)

KGMJr32

Bronze
Oct 15, 2007
Boston, MA
Cool? Version 2.1 sucks, my battery is dead again and I haven't even used the phone. I went to bed and when I woke up this morning, it was dead. Any suggestions?

To save some time...Please don't tell me my battery is faulty, it was fine until the upgrade.