First generation iPhones may be worthless...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

DiscoJoey

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
there is nothing i hate to hear more then this, because i know im going to buy the 1st generation and then in 6 months a 2nd gen is going to come out and mines going to suck ass compared to it.

Knowsall

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Well I think we knew about iPhone#2 coming in January. I have heard many people discuss this here. The iPhone launching this week is not worthless. I could care less about 3g...Im getting the 8gig and barely putting any music on it because I wants all apps to work/run smoothly. Then again...In 6 months Im sure I will be singing a different tune:laugh2::laugh2:

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
I am not convinced the second generation phone will be out in 6 months.

Maclaptopuser, most of your posts seem to lean towards the negative on the iPhone, do you plan on getting one?

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
there is nothing i hate to hear more then this, because i know im going to buy the 1st generation and then in 6 months a 2nd gen is going to come out and mines going to suck ass compared to it.
I agree, yet I totally believe this as it mirrors my experience with Apple exactly. I have yet to purchase a first generation Apple laptop that was not full of problems, many of which were very serious.

This is the confirmation that I was waiting for where Apple admits that they should have included 3G to begin with, along with more storage.

This also proves the first iPhones will collapse in value so the big losers will be the ones that trust Apple and buy on Friday the 29th.

Once again, it's buyer beware of Apple. They may have answers for everything but it's at our expense.

Great News!

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I am not convinced the second generation phone will be out in 6 months.
I tend to think based on past experience that the 2nd generation will be out in less than six months based on public backlash once they see how poorly the iPhone performs on EDGE.

Maclaptopuser, most of your posts seem to lean towards the negative on the iPhone
Not really. I'm not negative on the iPhone at all. If I was I would not be participating here. While I really like Apple products, I like the truth even better. That's my only complaint with Apple is the misleading hype. Yet since I know about it, there is no problem. I simply do the research to get to the truth and find out what's really happening, which with Apple can be quite a challenge.

I report honestly and many people believe all the hype from Apple and only have good things to say, blindly believing whatever Steve says. Therefore my posts appear negative.

Yes I'm certainly going to buy an iPhone, no question.

However now I know for sure that I will wait for the second generation. If past history tells me anything, it's that the second generation iPhone will be really great!

My second generation MacBook Pro that I just purchased is wonderful. The first generation one I bought when they were released was horrible and it was all my fault, as I knew better than to buy 1st gen anything from Apple.

But I chose not to wait, and paid the ultimate price in lost time, shipping charges to send it out and back for repair, only to have Apple return it with the same problems.

As long as one knows how to deal with Apple and when to buy, everything works out ok.

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
How exactly do you figure that a $500 or $600 mobile device will be "worthless" when a slightly better mobile device is released? That's simply ridiculous.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
I've totally ignored the forum "Future iPhones" because I would like to enjoy the one I don't even have yet before realizing what is wrong with it or what I want to see in the next device I'll pay 600 bucks for. Just my $.02

Good point, I agree with you. For me I will buy one on friday, enjoy it and when the new model is released I will purchase that model and give my old one to a family member. The phone itself is really not expensive compared to the value of the contract and the value to me by owning the latest technology. This is one investment I don't mind taking a loss.;)

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Glad I found out about this before Friday 29th, as it will make all the 1st generation iPhone worthless.

"Apple has released information on a NEW iPhone that will be 3G and 12gig with new features that will launch in 6 Months"

source:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/ip-telephony/?p=1827

If you read the article, it clearly says that it was written by someone who heard it by word-of-mouth from someone else who heard it from an AT&T rep. Yeah, they know what's going on, lemme tell ya.
More third-party speculation. I am honestly getting sick of all these posts. If you don't like the phone, you're not hyped about it, or you have nothing but negative things to say about it, what are you doing here?
Go over to everythingq.com
Maybe that's a better device for you. You obviously aren't happy with the iPhone, even though you, nor anyone else here has one yet.

nvenice

May 31, 2007
under a rock
I agree, owning the latest technology and being an early adapter means accepting the bugs (& countless fixes) & knowing that a better model is right around the corner. I think "worthless" is WAY overstating the case.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
If you read the article, it clearly says that it was written by someone who heard it by word-of-mouth from someone else who heard it from an AT&T rep. Yeah, they know what's going on, lemme tell ya.
More third-party speculation. I am honestly getting sick of all these posts. If you don't like the phone, you're not hyped about it, or you have nothing but negative things to say about it, what are you doing here?
Go over to everythingq.com
Maybe that's a better device for you. You obviously aren't happy with the iPhone, even though you, nor anyone else here has one yet.
Exactly. This friend-of-a-friend thing (ATT rep) should rarerly be considered without additional supporting information (not from other friends/reps).

When the next iPhone model or version is released, this 1G model will not become worthless. I had a 1G iPod that I was able to sell for quite a bit. This device will not lose value very easily.

soloudinhere

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
Well I think we knew about iPhone#2 coming in January. I have heard many people discuss this here. The iPhone launching this week is not worthless. I could care less about 3g...Im getting the 8gig and barely putting any music on it because I wants all apps to work/run smoothly. Then again...In 6 months Im sure I will be singing a different tune:laugh2::laugh2:
Just so you know, the memory allocation for applications has zero to do with the overall storage capacity of the iPhone. You could have 7 gigs free and if the system only has 256mb of system memory, it's still going to be slow. And 256 is pretty standard in high end smartphones right now.

Just like your computer runs faster if you get more RAM, but doesn't run faster if you stick a 500gb hard drive in it. same concept.

Knowsall

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Just so you know, the memory allocation for applications has zero to do with the overall storage capacity of the iPhone. You could have 7 gigs free and if the system only has 256mb of system memory, it's still going to be slow. And 256 is pretty standard in high end smartphones right now.

Just like your computer runs faster if you get more RAM, but doesn't run faster if you stick a 500gb hard drive in it. same concept.
Counting on some surprises re: iPhone system. But to restate...I will be singing a different tune in 6 months time. I mean if I can't save up $700 bucks in 6 months then F me.:p

Ocala

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Ocala, FL
How exactly do you figure that a $500 or $600 mobile device will be "worthless" when a slightly better mobile device is released? That's simply ridiculous.

I'm buying one NOW and I DON'T CARE if they come out with a better one in 6 months. For all I know, Florida will be UNDERWATER due to GLOBAL WARMING....Or we all will have contracted BIRD FLU!

REALLY - SO WHAT! It's worth $100 per month not to wait! I'll enjoy it now. In 6 months, if the new one is so much better, I'll give this one to my daughter!

If we have to think this way about it then it might be a better idea to put the money in a LONG TERM CARE POLICY! That will certainly cost you MORE later.

lasquintanas

Bronze
May 21, 2007
THIS JUST IN:

In a startling revelation from some guy who knows the mail man that drives by the local AT&T store.

In 6 months, the iPhone will be bundled with a coupon for a free dinner at Applebees. Do not buy at launch if you want to miss out on a spectacular dinner for 2 at your neighborhood Applebees establishment.

I don't know about you guys, but i'm holding out until January.