First Impressions and Hands On with iPad Mini

ITS ME DAVID

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
L.A C.A
Looks like macrumors have a first impression list up from reviewers.

Apple introduced the long-rumored iPad mini today. At 7.9" in diagonal, the new smaller iPad is said to allow for one handed usage. Apple had the device on hand for reporters to have hands on demos with the device.
img_1795.jpg

Overall, the impressions are positive with many focusing on the build quality and lightness of the device. While the device is smaller, others note that it's certainly not tiny. Here is a roundup of some of the early impressions:
Techcrunch
The finish of the device is matte on the back, making for a very nice feeling in the hand. The weight is really the most impressive part, though – as with the iPhone 5, but to an even greater degree, the iPad mini feels almost weightless when compared to its predecessors. It’s so thin and light as to feel almost like a prop, rather than a functional device.
TheVerge
The display on the mini looks incredibly sharp, and even though the resolution is lower than the 3rd and 4th generation full-size iPad, it doesn't immediately seem like a 1024 x 768 display. The smaller, 7.9-inch surface area certainly helps squeeze the pixels.
Engadget
It's still not "small," though. While a fully outstretched adult hand can generally grasp it without help from the other, you'll still want both for typing and using apps. It's still too big for your average pocket, and it's not going to save you a heck of a lot of room in your knapsack compared to the 9.7-incher.
Anandtech
Macrumors

ITS ME DAVID

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
L.A C.A
For having the iPad 2 then retina iPad 3 I prefer te smaller 7.9" over a 10" tablet to be the iPad was too big to use when lounging on the chouch or laying in bed.

ITS ME DAVID

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
L.A C.A
Haha that means your were at lease debating it now you confirmed you want it lol.

uralocal

Jun 5, 2010
I have been waiting a mini version of ipad since the original ipad came up. For a 7 inch lover i bought a kindle fire which sucks. The day came but i am not buying it. First i don't like the res. of the screen, second i didn't like the way they think developers do not need the resize their apps because its using the original ipads app size. What the f..? You are selling a product for 350 and making to use old screen because of this? Tim cook u are not Jobs and i think the company lost it soul. I am buying nexus thats it. And till that time i am using my handicapt kindle fire at least the res. is better..

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
I have been waiting a mini version of ipad since the original ipad came up. For a 7 inch lover i bought a kindle fire which sucks. The day came but i am not buying it. First i don't like the res. of the screen, second i didn't like the way they think developers do not need the resize their apps because its using the original ipads app size. What the f..? You are selling a product for 350 and making to use old screen because of this? Tim cook u are not Jobs and i think the company lost it soul. I am buying nexus thats it. And till that time i am using my handicapt kindle fire at least the res. is better..
Dude you have posted the same thing in four different threads I opened. Either you're a bot or we get it, you don't like the specs of the iPad mini.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe app

ClarkKent724

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Nashville, TN
Great thread...I've been scouring Youtube for hands on footage. I can't wait to get my hands on one.

theorioles33

Evangelist
Silver
Jul 21, 2007
USA
I have been waiting a mini version of ipad since.... oopps sorry! :)

Actually I will be getting my daughter the iPad Mini to replace her iPad 1. Gonna give the iPad 1 to a girl at work for her daughter. I'm nice like that. :)

mrbunglez

Zealot
Bronze
Mar 20, 2008
I'll be up at 2:50am EST to purchase 2 of them lil beasts! And I have to wake up at 5am to go to work. It's going to be an interesting day at work ill tell you that much.

uralocal

Jun 5, 2010
Sorry i couldnt choose one wont happen again

Nov 9, 2012
I played with the new iPad mini at my local Apple Store, it's a really nice small tablet, but after using my 7" tablet and iPhone I just did not see me doing a lot with one. I just use my iPads at home on WiFi so having a mobile iPad is not important for me. But I do think the iPad mini is a nice small tablet. I do feel Apples price of $329US is somewhat high comparing it with the pricing of other small tablets, but that's Apple for you. Shade's of dear old departed but never to be forgotten Steve Jobs really runs deep at Apple.