First impressions of Leather Loop band for Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iErik, May 8, 2015.

1. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

Leather Loop first impressions...

I ordered two loop bands around launch (stone and bright blue) and today the stone one arrived. First thing I noticed was the packaging. The band came in a heavy plastic box (the weight really surprised me) that resembled the packaging for the Watch Sport. I can only wonder how much has been spent on packaging and how much could have been saved (and passed down to us) if it was toned down a bit.

The band was very easy to swap out just as Apple advertised. The band has more of a plasticy/vinyl feel to it than leather. That might be because the leather is tightly wrapped around the all the tiny magnets - which are very strong and leave me no concern of the watch flying off my wrist. Don't get me wrong, it still feels nice and the quality is definitely there.

Being able to get a very precise fit is something I really like. No more too tight or too loose. The band itself feels very nice on the wrist and I'm not worried about it not being comfortable at all.

My only gripe so far (and it may be a deal breaker) is that it's noisy. I know that sounds funny but I'm not quite sure if it rattles or it's squeaky but it makes a very distinct sound. I think it might be the leather rubbing against itself where the magnets meet. I'm really hoping once it breaks in a bit it will go away. If not, I'm not sure I'll want to keep it.

The Stone color is pretty light. It seems to change from a tan to a gray depending on the light. I tend like lighter bands so it works for me. I was also drawn to the blue band so I'll just have to chose which I like better when it arrives - I'll only keep one! IMG_0949(2).jpg IMG_0950(2).jpg IMG_0946(2).jpg IMG_0948.jpg image.jpg

#1 iErik, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 10, 2015
  2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Presentation is very important to Apple. It fits with their "premium" products. I just can't see them using low-quality packaging. It would cheapen their products in a sense. We wouldn't see much of a cost savings anyway. You're paying hundreds for a watch or a leather band, what's another $5 for premimum packaging?

I prefer leather watch bands with stitching. It gives them a higher quality look. The Apple Watch leather bands are disappointing to me and look too processed. Here's a picture of one of my watches with a leather band that I think looks better than Apple's.
    image.jpg

3. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

Yeah, I get the whole presentation thing. I'm a simple guy so it just seems a bit over the top to me. :)

@Michael Baturin are you experiencing any of odd sounds/sensations I mentioned above. I swear it feels like the taptic is going off when it's not.

4. rollinfromhell

Gold

Very true. But I hear the basic sport bands are very very comfy. They do look cheap though. Amazon is our best friend in that scenario.

5. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I have a sports band and love it. in fact I think it's the best looking of all apple's bands, which is kind of a shame. the Milanese loop is my second favorite, but something about the shape I don't care for.

6. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

I'm pretty sure this one is going to go back. The odd clicking sound it makes is driving me a little crazy. I'm still convinced it'll go away once broken in but I'm sure I want the blue band instead. The skin toned color of this one is turning me off the more I look at it.

My whisper quiet sport band is back on for the time being! :)

#6 iErik, May 9, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015
  7. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

I did have the same sensation as you. The taptic feedback is so subtle, even with prominent tapic turned on, that i sometimes mistake the leather rubbing or adjusting a bit as a notification only to flip the watch up and not see anything. As I've worn the Loop since receiving it 5/7, I've learned the difference between a Leather Loop Rub (the official name I'm going to coin for it), and the taptic notifications.

8. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot
    Gold

I was pretty set on the ML with a space grey. Went to the store and did NOT like the combo. The ML in person (to me) did not look as good as the photos. I felt the opposite about the leather loop and ordered one in black. My space grey lands tomorrow and then I'll be selling off my sport white.

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Holy crap, @Ramesh! Long time no see!

10. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot
    Gold

word. ran into @acosmichippo on reddit. he reminded me this placed existed. :)

11. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I'm used to seeing @Ramesh on Facebook. This is quite the surprise.

12. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot
    Gold

Guess I'm back in the game.