First mods to my iPhone

Sep 22, 2007
My iPhone is arriving next week. I was hoping someone on here could point me in the right direction to the 1st steps in moding the phone. When it arrives it will be unlocked and jailbrake will also be done to it also. What would be the next steps in getting the 3rd party apps like games, programs etc.

Know its not arriving until next week but I want to be ready for it :)

Thanks everyone

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
My iPhone is arriving next week. I was hoping someone on here could point me in the right direction to the 1st steps in moding the phone. When it arrives it will be unlocked and jailbrake will also be done to it also. What would be the next steps in getting the 3rd party apps like games, programs etc.

Know its not arriving until next week but I want to be ready for it :)

Thanks everyone
Apptapp (aka installer.app) will get you all the 3rd party apps (you need to install it anyway for the anysim unlock) i think :D

Most mods are done at root level anyway

Windows or OS X?

Sep 22, 2007
Apptapp (aka installer.app) will get you all the 3rd party apps (you need to install it anyway for the anysim unlock) i think :D

Most mods are done at root level anyway

Windows or OS X?
Windows Stevo, does that make much of a difference? Just download installer.app and install? Does that have the summerboard or iSwitcher in it? Is it difficult to change the icons and wallpaper?

Hope that makes sense to you? Thanks

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
Windows Stevo, does that make much of a difference? Just download installer.app and install? Does that have the summerboard or iSwitcher in it? Is it difficult to change the icons and wallpaper?

Hope that makes sense to you? Thanks
There's an installer for Windows. Make sure you have iTunes v7.32, as v7.4 has a few problems with Jailbreaking etc

Yeah install.app has all them in it :laugh2: it's probably the best 3rd party app out there! Makes it simple for us n00bs :laugh2:

Modding Icons etc you will need to do via WinSCP (a SFTP Program) or connected via USB with iBrickr (it does that amongst other things including ringtones etc). You need to go into the root of the phone etc replacing icons.

If there's anything else i can help with then just ask ;)

Sep 22, 2007
There's an installer for Windows. Make sure you have iTunes v7.32, as v7.4 has a few problems with Jailbreaking etc

Yeah install.app has all them in it :laugh2: it's probably the best 3rd party app out there! Makes it simple for us n00bs :laugh2:

Modding Icons etc you will need to do via WinSCP (a SFTP Program) or connected via USB with iBrickr (it does that amongst other things including ringtones etc). You need to go into the root of the phone etc replacing icons.

If there's anything else i can help with then just ask ;)

Right last few questions and then I will leave you alone Stevo. Thanks for all your help so far. I think i am a bit confused over apptap and iBrickr. They are not the same thing and you can have both installed at the same time? I thought they were the same sort of program. I have a couple of icon sets I have downloaded and would like to put on to the phone. I your iPhone working properly in Scotland? Im in Ireland and hope everything will work ok, apart from visual voicemail:oops:

Thank you again ;)

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
Right last few questions and then I will leave you alone Stevo. Thanks for all your help so far. I think i am a bit confused over apptap and iBrickr. They are not the same thing and you can have both installed at the same time? I thought they were the same sort of program. I have a couple of icon sets I have downloaded and would like to put on to the phone. I your iPhone working properly in Scotland? Im in Ireland and hope everything will work ok, apart from visual voicemail:oops:

Thank you again ;)
Yeah got my iPhone working on 02 no probs! I've unlocked 5 Phones this week (having never done it before Tuesday this week lol)

Apptapp (aka installer.app when installed on your phone) will actually be installed on your phone and is the program you run whenever you wan tto install, update or remove a 3rd party application and it will bring up a list of all the available applications (separated into categories like games etc),

Whereas iBrickr is Windows software for certain mods like replacing system files with mods, installing FREE custom ringtones etc.

The easiest way 2 change icons is with a program thats on Install.app called "Summerboard" which lets you mod the "Springboard" (which is the menu system lol) and apply themes on the fly without the need 2 permanently mod system files :laugh2:

LOL i've picked this info up throughout the week, i only got my iPhone on Tuesday this week!

Unlocked & Modded 5 iPhones in under a week!

Sep 22, 2007
Yeah got my iPhone working on 02 no probs! I've unlocked 5 Phones this week (having never done it before Tuesday this week lol)

Apptapp (aka installer.app when installed on your phone) will actually be installed on your phone and is the program you run whenever you wan tto install, update or remove a 3rd party application and it will bring up a list of all the available applications (separated into categories like games etc),

Whereas iBrickr is Windows software for certain mods like replacing system files with mods, installing FREE custom ringtones etc.

The easiest way 2 change icons is with a program thats on Install.app called "Summerboard" which lets you mod the "Springboard" (which is the menu system lol) and apply themes on the fly without the need 2 permanently mod system files :laugh2:

LOL i've picked this info up throughout the week, i only got my iPhone on Tuesday this week!

Unlocked & Modded 5 iPhones in under a week!
Stevo your a legend. Makes a lot more sense to me now. Counting down the days until my phone arrives. Next wednesday is the day. Im also going to go pay as you go on O2. Is it everything you expected it to be? I still haven't seen one in the flesh I just know I want one :laugh2:

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
Stevo your a legend. Makes a lot more sense to me now. Counting down the days until my phone arrives. Next wednesday is the day. Im also going to go pay as you go on O2. Is it everything you expected it to be? I still haven't seen one in the flesh I just know I want one :laugh2:
Yeah! Love it :laugh2:

The few let downs are lack of MMS (Coming in v1.1.1 - next update, an 02 guy told me today) the speaker is a bit quiet, but great none the less.

I love the iPod part! the headphones are genius, it fades out the music and a matter of hitting 1 button on the headphones 2 answer, when the call ends music fades back in! A life saver for me, because i used 2 always miss calls when listening 2 my iPod :(

I have yet to see a person not stunned and amazind by the iPod. I was in the 02 shop in Glasgow today asking about unlimited data plans for when the iPhones hit, and he tryed 2 talk me into ordering one....when i told him i already had one and pulled it out! You should have seen it, 3 sales guys from 02 came charging over trying to pry it from me lol! He said 02 Edge would be setup for the launch when i already pointed out it was active (the Edge sign was active on my phone)

he seemed stunned when i told him it was unlocked to all networks!

All in all, i love it, best all in one device ever!

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
Here's a Pic of my slightly Moded iPhone (moded the slider from "Slide to Unlock" to "Stevonw" and changed the flash (that glows over the text from white to blue) all of them were done via replacing files in the root.

I also changed the slider from the arrow to the Scotland Flag slider from the pack i released earlier today. Ther Ireland one is in the European Slider pack 2 ;)

Take from another iPhone (not the greatest lighting, but oh well)

Sep 22, 2007
Yeah! Love it :laugh2:

The few let downs are lack of MMS (Coming in v1.1.1 - next update, an 02 guy told me today) the speaker is a bit quiet, but great none the less.

I love the iPod part! the headphones are genius, it fades out the music and a matter of hitting 1 button on the headphones 2 answer, when the call ends music fades back in! A life saver for me, because i used 2 always miss calls when listening 2 my iPod :(

I have yet to see a person not stunned and amazind by the iPod. I was in the 02 shop in Glasgow today asking about unlimited data plans for when the iPhones hit, and he tryed 2 talk me into ordering one....when i told him i already had one and pulled it out! You should have seen it, 3 sales guys from 02 came charging over trying to pry it from me lol! He said 02 Edge would be setup for the launch when i already pointed out it was active (the Edge sign was active on my phone)

he seemed stunned when i told him it was unlocked to all networks!

All in all, i love it, best all in one device ever!

Thats brilliant. My phone will be unlocked too. I hope the next fireware update does not relock the phones again. Have you installed many new apps or icons and themes? Easy? If you install an app from apptap does it already come with an icon or do you have to go and search for one?

Edit: That looks really well :) Did it take you long?

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
Thats brilliant. My phone will be unlocked too. I hope the next fireware update does not relock the phones again. Have you installed many new apps or icons and themes? Easy? If you install an app from apptap does it already come with an icon or do you have to go and search for one?

Nah, takes a few minutes as long as you know where 2 put the files then a retsart of the phone and your done :laugh2:

I have a theme on through Summerboard. Install.app has an icon on the phone, u open that and basically scroll up and down having a look at what u want to download/install. Each app has a small description

I will take a few pics of themes, install.app later for you.....i'm working on Slider Pack 3 - Asia at the moment, so may post the pics for about 30 mins or so, sorry :(

Sep 22, 2007
Nah, takes a few minutes as long as you know where 2 put the files then a retsart of the phone and your done :laugh2:

I have a theme on through Summerboard. Install.app has an icon on the phone, u open that and basically scroll up and down having a look at what u want to download/install. Each app has a small description

I will take a few pics of themes, install.app later for you.....i'm working on Slider Pack 3 - Asia at the moment, so may post the pics for about 30 mins or so, sorry :(
Thats no probs man, you have been more than helpful today. Take your time:)

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
Hey frank, finally had some time to get the pics for you :laugh2:

Here goes........

The 3rd image is installer.app that i was telling u about, it's excellent! An essential for modding & 3rd party apps :laugh2:

Last edited by a moderator:

jonamond

Sep 24, 2007

i think locking the phones back up is quoted by Apple and its supposed to permantly damage your phone as fars as Apple says

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
i think locking the phones back up is quoted by Apple and its supposed to permantly damage your phone as fars as Apple says
Its rubbish though, Sony said the same thing with the PSP and look how that battle is going, Hackers Win every time - Sony 0

Its just a BS statement to make people think twice before unlocking their phones! :laugh2: