First review of iPhone 3G

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
You've got my first thanks I've given out.

I was waiting for reviews. The reviews seem "satisfied", though not ecstatic. However, this doesn't surprise me as the differences aren't vast in the new model.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
It looks like mileage does vary (from Mossberg's review):

"I’ve been testing the iPhone 3G for a couple of weeks, and have found that it mostly keeps its promises. In particular, I found that doing email and surfing the Internet typically was between three and five times as fast using AT&T’s 3G network as it was with the older AT&T network to which the first iPhone was limited."

EDIT: Of course, he was only getting about 74 kbps on EDGE...

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
i like what i hear, except the prices, but who cares i cant wait until friday

quib

Jun 30, 2008
You've got my first thanks I've given out.

I was waiting for reviews. The reviews seem "satisfied", though not ecstatic. However, this doesn't surprise me as the differences aren't vast in the new model.
Dunno much about this thank you system really since I'm a new member, but thanks! :)

Well, overall the 3 reviewers seems to be pleased with the new iPhone, and I'm more excited now since this will be my first iPhone :laugh2: And I guess it's official that the speakers are indeed louder!

NateEssex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
NJ
Man, I didn't like the part where the writer had no 3G service in NJ. I wish they had listed the town...

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Man, I didn't like the part where the writer had no 3G service in NJ. I wish they had listed the town...
If you are in Essex like your name suggests, I find it hard to believe that you won't have 3G in you area.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
What's with his 3G speed?

I can't believe Mossberg is only getting 405 kbps with 3G. :(

On my first generation Blackjack, I normally get around 800+ kbps, often I can get T1 speeds (approaching 1,024 kbps). :cool:

NateEssex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
NJ
What do you think about Middlesex County? I'm there a lot ;)

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
"You can also now open Microsoft PowerPoint files sent as attachments, though I found in my tests that opening larger PowerPoint files crashed the phone."

Ouch! :(

Greer

Aug 15, 2007
I can't wait to get my new iPhone on Friday!

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Look like most if not all the county is covered as of May 2008. Do a quick Google search if you want to see for yourself.They are expanding all the time too, so I wouldn't worry about it considering that you are so close to NYC and within the megalopolis.

quib

Jun 30, 2008
"You can also now open Microsoft PowerPoint files sent as attachments, though I found in my tests that opening larger PowerPoint files crashed the phone."

Ouch! :(
Yeah, I kinda felt the same way. I hope it's just a minor bug that can be fixed. It can also just be the powerpoint file itself that's corrupted. I'm confident that Apple tested this functionality and made sure it works seamlessly, especially since they're really pushing the iPhone for businesss use. So I'm sure this is one thing they won't overlook, knowing how every businesss pretty much uses Microsoft Office. it would really suck if you're limited to viewing only smaller file sizes :(

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
sounds sweet! but yes NJ should have 3G. that area is like hand in hand

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Nate, Hi, I'm in Essex county too and the AT&T map suggests that where i live is fine for AT&T service as well as the 3G network. You should check their map, it appears to be accurate. Put in your address and you will find out quickly if you are covered or not.

Here is a link directly to checking out AT&T's maps.
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
Nate, Hi, I'm in Essex county too and the AT&T map suggests that where i live is fine for AT&T service as well as the 3G network. You should check their map, it appears to be accurate. Put in your address and you will find out quickly if you are covered or not.

Here is a link directly to checking out AT&T's maps.
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/
At least with regard to voice coverage, the AT&T map is SPOT ON for my town. The coverage in my house mostly sucks, but drive three houses south, turn right, go to the light and turn left, BOOM - it's a whole different world right where the map changes color.

There is zero 3G in my town, but I work in Davis and the whole town is solid blue. It will be the best thing about going back to work when summer ends. :)

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
i live in Denver Colorado and i have 3g just about everywhere i go

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I still think the iPhone v1 looks better for some reason, the iPhone 3G IMHO looks more like an iPod touch to me:eek:

-And do you see around the bezel how on the iPhone 3G theirs black space where they could have filled the screen :( And the bezel doesn't look as shiny as the v1 maybe cheaper quality. . . not trying to rip apart the iPhone 3G because I also want one but the iPhone v1 design is pure sexyness and I cant let that goooooo haha! Have fun ya'll :)

Last edited by a moderator: