first time jailbreaker to updating firmware user and have a few questions..

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by merlconn13, Oct 18, 2011.

1. merlconn13

merlconn13 Member
    Bronze

Quick question. I'm jailbroken on iPhone 4 and going to update. What are the steps i need to do to keep my jailbroken apps for next time i decide to jailbreak again. i have pkgbackup and aptbackup downloaded. which is better and easier? and is there anything else I should know before updating (restore to factory?, old Back up? Anything?) im not gonna try to rejailbreak it until its unteathered so im not worried about that. thanks in advance.

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

PKGBackup is the only program I have used to save and restore all of my Cydia applications. As far as anything else you should know before updating, it's completely up to you whether or not you restore to factory or use an old back up. There is no major difference, all your apps and music are still on iTunes. However, some Jailbreakers like to restore to factory just to be sure that there isn't any trace of their Jailbreak if they do have to take it into Apple. Before updating, usually you should "Restore" and then update your iPhone to make sure you don't get any crazy error messages during the process of "Restore & Update".

3. merlconn13

merlconn13 Member
    Bronze

ok and i know when i do that i lose my JB apps so when i decide to JB again how do i restore those apps that i backed up?

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Re-Download PKGBackup, and it will have your recent backup in it. Then click "Restore" on the PKGBackup application. Let the application load first, and double check that everything is there. It'll say "50 of 96 uninstalled" as an example of what mine showed. Then press "Restore" in PKGBackup.

5. merlconn13

merlconn13 Member
    Bronze

sorry one more thing if i saved a backup that was a JB backup on iTunes will that matter if i rstore from a backup when its all updated?

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

To be completely honest, I'm not sure what the backup for iTunes is as far as backing up your JB with PKGBackup. It says it's just an extra backup, but I'm not sure. I just use PKGBackup and backup my applications every couple days or when I feel I have downloaded or removed more applications. When I go to re JB I just reinstall PKGBackup and everything is good, I just have to "Restore" specifically from PKGBackup.

7. merlconn13

merlconn13 Member
    Bronze

i just mean when u normally backup your phone on iTunes. is it a problem if my last backup was from when my phone was jailbroken when i decide to restore it from a backup after the 5.0 update. nothing to do with jailbreaking at all.

8. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

That makes no difference. When you backup your phone in iTunes, it only saves APP Store applications and music and other information. Nothing to do with your JB though.

9. merlconn13

merlconn13 Member
    Bronze

thought so. just didn't want an error. thanks a lot

10. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Not a problem. Let me know if you have any more questions.