first time jailbreaking, now what?

nb4836

Dec 14, 2008
I just jailbroke my iPhone (2.2), and basically... I have no idea what to do with my iPhone now. Does anyone have a necessities kit for applications I need? I keep reading the word springboard and I'm not sure what it means, or how the themes work. I'm also seeing the word "winterboard" a lot... again, i'm lost.

Any and all help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
Winterboard is a app through cydia. It allows you to apply custom themes,sliders, and all the visual stuff. I would also go into cydia>repositories> add the steffwitz source> and then add all sources. This will add a lot of new stuff to the changes menu and throughout the sections menu. Your springboard is just your home screen with all of your icons on it.

nb4836

Dec 14, 2008
Winterboard is a app through cydia. It allows you to apply custom themes,sliders, and all the visual stuff. I would also go into cydia>repositories> add the steffwitz source> and then add all sources. This will add a lot of new stuff to the changes menu and throughout the sections menu. Your springboard is just your home screen with all of your icons on it.

I added the steffwitz source, but I'm not not sure how to add all sources from that point.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
Go into cydia> changes> at the top it should say all sources. If it doesn't then go into cydia> more sources and it should be in there.

nb4836

Dec 14, 2008
lol... I just don't seem to be getting this. I'm just not sure what adding those repositories did. I know it installed a lot of something, but I have no idea what that something is.

Regardless, thanks kenneth. It's really cool of you to help a guy out. I'm pretty much in the dark about ALL of this.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
Well you can go and downlaod themes, ringtones, and all other things that are fun about having a jailbroken phone. What are you wanting to do? Why did you jailbreak?

a1t

Dec 8, 2008
MIchigan
You gonna have a lot of phun my friend. I got my phone last week, from jailbreaking- having my own entire custom thme, you gonna have a lot of phun lol good luck and welcome to the mod community :D

nb4836

Dec 14, 2008
Well, landscape texting and mms were huge for me. I did want to do themes, customization of the status bar and such. From what I've seen on cydia so far though, I'm not a fan of the full themes that are out there. However, I can't use swirly mms (says my mmsc setting is wrong... not the place to post this, I know) and I found out it costs $8 for swirly and the true sms app is 10 euro.. (not sure what that translates to in us dollars).. compounded with the fact that I have no idea what I'm doing, I'm kind of losing my fervor for the whole process. The benefits of jailbreaking, I see. I'm having a hard time seeing the VALUE, though. idk, we'll see how it goes I guess.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
For landscape texting download bitesms and then openbot and push the blue arrow, set it up as carrier, and then you can landcape. Look in the sections> themes(springboard) there should be like 400 to choose from. Try glass, deep, and incineration. Those are decent to start of with. Also download Make it mine and then you can change your banner and carrier logo.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
some cool apps to get are:

-BiteSMS (keeps track of how many sms are sent and landscape view)
-Cycorder (Video Recorder)
-Five Dock Icons (5 icons on the bottom instead of 4)
-Make it Mine (Change the AT&T/Time to whatever you want)

those are just the things i am using but there are tons out there. My wallpaper is the blackberry impressions

Last edited by a moderator:

nb4836

Dec 14, 2008
from what I read from bitesms, they charge per message? I assumed originally the fee was for international texting, but I never read anything that said that domestic texting was free. I just didn't get how it worked, so I stayed away. I got iRealSMS and it's incredibly slow... so live and learn on that front. lol. I have been looking everywhere for what makeitmine does, so thank you for mentioning that!

to bigcix:

thanks for the tip five dock icons is another one that I had been looking for, and I didn't realize the app would be so unoriginally named haha.

So bitesms seems to be the consensus choice, eh? I'll give it a shot then!