First time using iPod touch

johnnyh

Jan 13, 2008
What are the basic settings for all the fields to be in when trying to connect to any Wifi signal?

iStealth

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
What are the basic settings for all the fields to be in when trying to connect to any Wifi signal?
Why do you ask, unless the router you want to connect to has WEP, WPA, WPA2 all you need to do is connect. if it has one of the above you need the password. I have never had to change any settings... if you accidentally messed them up.. do a restore in iTunes

johnnyh

Jan 13, 2008
Trouble with Wifi on iPod touch

I need the info that goes in under settings, Wifi, linksys:

IP Address
Subnet Mask
Router
DNS
Search Domains
Client ID

Why do you ask, unless the router you want to connect to has WEP, WPA, WPA2 all you need to do is connect. if it has one of the above you need the password. I have never had to change any settings... if you accidentally messed them up.. do a restore in iTunes

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten

IP Address
Subnet Mask
Router
DNS
Search Domains
Client ID
It sould just auto-detect your network. If your network is password-protected it'll ask for the password when you select the network.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Welcome to the forum.

You need to go into settings/wifi and turn on the button to auto join wifi.

Your touch should then show your router and ask to join it, then enter your Pass Phrase.

If your touch does not discover your router then you can click to join a network, then enter the router name and then the Pass Phrase.

iStealth

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007

IP Address
Subnet Mask
Router
DNS
Search Domains
Client ID
Yes assuming your wifi is on, it should auto fill this info.

sah

Oct 2, 2008
If you've upgraded your routers security from WEP to WPA or WPA2 you'll need to tell your ipod to "Forget this Network" before can rejoin your WPA or WPA2 network of the same name.

From Home -> Settings -> Wi-Fi -> right arrow on existing network -> Forget this Network -> Other... -> Network Name -> Password

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
have any of you ever noticed that the iPod touch picks up lore wifi networks? I have sat in several spots and the iPod touch usually picks up at least 8 and my 3G will pick up 1 source.

iHero

Bronze
Aug 7, 2008
Washington State
codyjk.com
If the iPod touch sees your wifi network it should autofill all of the information except (if you have one) the password which it should autosave on your iPod.

iPhone™

Bronze
Oct 4, 2008
Australia
Oh and just for the record, I think it's actually called an iPod Touch :p

I went over to Hong Kong awhile ago and I saw a "Best MP4 Player" with the box name iPod touch :p