Fist Pump for MuscleMommy

MuscleMommy

Contributor
Bronze
Sep 8, 2011
HI everyone - first before you ask - no I am not from NJ LOL - just felt like giving this thread a dorky title.

I wanted to start a thread to maybe get some entertainment from members as I go through a journey over the next year that is going to be painful and daunting to say the list. I found this forum over 2 months ago and I have loved being a part of it. I read a lot more than I post although I have started to post a lot more lately. I am settling into a "regular" on the board :)

Here is my back story for those that may not have saw on another thread:

I am a mom to four wonderful kids, a personal trainer, and a wife. I was just recently diagnosed with Stage 4 Hodkins Lymphoma and will be starting chemo on Nov 21st. I will receive 9 months of chemo, followed by some radiation, then a stem cell transplant. While the road will be a tough and bumpy road I have been told by my doctor that if you were going to get cancer this is the one you would want. It has a very high success rate of beating.

So on to this thread. I was saving to buy me an ipad to take with me to treatments since my chemo will require one by a drip and 3 by a syrnige. I also wanted one to have when I am to sick to get out out of bed instead of my much bigger 17" laptop. Today when I arrived home from a doctor's appointment there was a UPS package on my doorstep. It was an Ipad2 that was sent to me by a group of personal trainers that are stationed up in Canada. They got together and sent me this wonderful gift so that I would have easy access to stay connected to them and on the internet or to just play games etc. I can not tell you how thankful I was for such a heartfelt gift. I really wish they had not but I was told to just say thank you and accept it so I have done just that.

I thought I would create a thread to maybe post my journey, get some jokes told, have some techie questions answered I might have, or just whatever anyone feels like posting. Going through this is hard and now that I can not really be out and about because of flu's, colds, etc I really need things to get my mind off of this ugly disease. :(

I am a really easy laid back person that has a sarcastic sense of humor at times. I enjoy cooking, fine dining, yard work, College Football (GOOO UGA!) and tennis. I also love to check out different websites, blogs, etc.

So have a favorite bookmarked website I should try? Have an app that you suggest I put on my ipad? I have a joke? Or just want to chat? Well I am all up for it.......

And I do have a few questions for you while I am here. With my new Ipad - I put it in an otterbox today but my question now is about how to take care of the battery life. Should I just charge it after the battery runs all the way down? Or what do yo suggest? Any other words of wisdom for this new ipad owner? ;)

I look forward to many great chats over the next year ...... (y)

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
I have my ipad usually on the dock
Anyway "Words with friends" I have a few members from here on there and it is play as you feel like.
I had to look up my name on there "Kata Rina" (facebook)

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Thanks for sharing. Bless you and Good Luck on your journey. You sound like a strong person and there are many supporting people here. Maybe drain the battery to zero once a month, but otherwise charge it as much as you like. The battery has no memory but likes to stay charged.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Well, now you really need to tell me to shut it because I'm not leaving this thread.
We are going to keep you company and you can make fun of me if that is what's gonna take to make you laugh :D

verwon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 29, 2011
Seattle
Plants Vs. Zombies to keep you busy!

Hope all goes well and that's a superb gift. Congrats!

I had congestive heart failure last year, now they stick me with needles to prevent everything, flu, pneumonia....I feel like a pincushion! :p

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

MuscleMommy

Contributor
Bronze
Sep 8, 2011
Thanks all - and Benni maybe I can get me a wig to match your hair in that picture of you ;)

Verwon - would they maybe look at putting in a port for you? I am not sure if they do that for patients other than cancer but definitely makes all the sticks a lot easier!

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Hehe, it's a towel, but hair grows back. I know this dude very close to me that is going through chemo and radiation right now and his hair is actually darker ;)

You need to download some word games like words with friends.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
Sorry to hear of your diagnosis but as Lon said - you sound like a strong person and I wish you the best during the upcoming months. Keep your head up.
It sounds like you have a great bunch of friends and family that care a lot for you - and that will be there for you.

I am glad you found this forum because now you also have a virtual group of friends that will care for you and keep you company over the months ahead. Words with friends ID <- Mike Baturin

verwon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 29, 2011
Seattle
Thanks all - and Benni maybe I can get me a wig to match your hair in that picture of you ;)

Verwon - would they maybe look at putting in a port for you? I am not sure if they do that for patients other than cancer but definitely makes all the sticks a lot easier!
No, they're just considered inoculations, so they won't do that, it's just that every single time I go to the doc, she comes up with more!

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
Thank you for sharing something so personal about yourself. I hope we can provide some occasional comic relief and entertainment :)

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Muscle Mommy my 29 year old brother in law was just diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. Him and my sister have been together since they are 14 years old so he is more like a brother to me. Not only that, but we are a pure-blooded Italian family so whatever one member goes through, we all go through. He is getting chemo now and was told he would have to get it for the rest of his life. He was recently rushed to Sloan-Kettering (where he's getting treated) because he was sick. After a CAT scan, it was discovered that there's been significant shrinkage....of his tumor. ;)

Anyway, while I can't fully understand what you're going through, I can related to some of it. You have friends/family here. Never forget that. :)

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Muscle Mommy my 29 year old brother in law was just diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. Him and my sister have been together since they are 14 years old so he is more like a brother to me. Not only that, but we are a pure-blooded Italian family so whatever one member goes through, we all go through. He is getting chemo now and was told he would have to get it for the rest of his life. He was recently rushed to Sloan-Kettering (where he's getting treated) because he was sick. After a CAT scan, it was discovered that there's been significant shrinkage....of his tumor. ;)

Anyway, while I can't fully understand what you're going through, I can related to some of it. You have friends/family here. Never forget that. :)
that's great to hear about your brother in law.

verwon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 29, 2011
Seattle
Oh yeah, medications are my job, so if you ever need information on any and want the real details that most docs don't tell you, feel free to ask. My work research resources on my iPad and my knowledge are at your disposal!

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
I'll keep you in my prayers. You're a brave gal. Glad you're here on the eiC.

Target

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Oh yeah, medications are my job, so if you ever need information on any and want the real details that most docs don't tell you, feel free to ask. My work research resources on my iPad and my knowledge are at your disposal!

got a questions for you LOL but I message you later

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Hey MM what color UP did you order? Mine went from pending charge to NOthing I called and was told that was only an pre order :( then I called stores and all were sold so I guess I stick with the pre order . Evenso am mad the stores are already sold out.

SunnySweet

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 23, 2010
Upstate NY
LOVE the thread title! We are here to do the fist pump with you when you can and for you when you are feeling a bit under the weather! I see some of the best members have jumped in and I am sure will all be keeping you company along the way! I am sure we will all offer way more advice than you will want or need along the way!
If you like word games - Words With Friends - as several have mentioned, is fun. You can also message the person you are playing with to pick on them. Watch out for Benny ... He is one tough customer in that game lol I am SunnySweet if you want to add me to your WWF list!
I am sending prayers to you for the battle ahead and plan to keep you company here whenever you need it!

MuscleMommy

Contributor
Bronze
Sep 8, 2011
LOVE the thread title! We are here to do the fist pump with you when you can and for you when you are feeling a bit under the weather! I see some of the best members have jumped in and I am sure will all be keeping you company along the way! I am sure we will all offer way more advice than you will want or need along the way!
If you like word games - Words With Friends - as several have mentioned, is fun. You can also message the person you are playing with to pick on them. Watch out for Benny ... He is one tough customer in that game lol I am SunnySweet if you want to add me to your WWF list!
I am sending prayers to you for the battle ahead and plan to keep you company here whenever you need it!
Ok I am MuscleMommy on words for friends. I started a random game with someone to check it out and really like it. I am not to well at figuring out the words yet though lol. I will go and add everyone om this thread later this afternoon. I have to run into town and pick up some meds.

I am LOVING the iPad. I am on it now and it makes it so easy to use when I am just laying around the house. I still wish they would not have gave this to me and it is hard for me to just say thank you and accept things bug I really appreciate their friendship and thoughtfulness.

I am trying to lead a bit of a normal life without letting cancer change me. I told my doctor that I change cancer ;). But sometimes it is hard. There is always this worry about if you will beat it or not you know?

Oh and I have another question. What is a good app to maybe watch movies or shows in the iPad? Should I just get a Netflix or is there something better? I tried to do a search but I didn't want to pay for something that wasn't going to really function you know?

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I am really sorry to hear that but I am very glad you are being positive and strong about it, as you should be. I truly wish you all the best and hopefully you will get over this and be just fine. All of us here support you and I'm sure you're going to enjoy your stay at EIC just like everyone does :D. Just listen to your Doctor and have faith in God's compassion and you'll be fine.

About the iPad's battery, don't let it drain to zero and then recharge it (also known as battery calibration) except like once every two or three months because batteries now don't have memory and are better off being topped-off and not letting it drop below 40%.

Best of luck with everything and have fun with your kids. :)