Fitness with the Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ZR_Yancy, Jun 12, 2015.

1. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Today, I tested the fitness metrics of my Apple Watch and boy does it track a lot of info. I love it. I went on 2 exercise sessions today. A 20 minute walk outside and a 30 minute walk outside. I cleared 2 rings but one of them I couldn't achieve. What metrics does the middle ring measure? It says 30 minutes to achieve but I did a total of 50 minutes today. Battery on this thing is incredible. I played with it all day along with multiple exercise sessions and I still had 59% battery life left.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434167541.763481.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434167551.966447.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434167561.116988.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434167863.370442.jpg

2. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

The middle ring is exercise. Even if you chose to go on an "outdoor walk" in the exercise app you have to maintain a brisk pace in order for it to get counted at exercise (basically you have to get your heart rate up). Now, if those walks you did were runs you would have gotten credit for the 50 minutes.

When I walk the dog for 30 minutes in the morning I might get 10-12 minutes credit if I'm lucky. He likes to stop and sniff around a lot.

Hope that helps.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't have the watch, so I'm curious about a few things. Are those specs for the 24-hour period on Friday? If so, resting calories of 3,163 doesn't sound right. Shouldn't that be under 2,000?

I hadn't thought about how it wouldn't count slower walks since the heart rate isn't raised significantly. So what happens if you go for a fast-paced walk and stop to talk to someone for a few minutes and then resume your walk? Do you have to start the activity in the app again when you resume?

Is this app strictly for walking/running? Since it doesn't use GPS for cycling distance, are entries from Runkeeper automatically synced to the exercise app on the Apple Watch just like they are automatically synced with the iOS MyFitnessPal app?

4. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

The resting calories does seem high. @ZR_Yancy did you enter your age, height and weight into the Activity App on the watch?

@Europa ... you can leave the workout app running during your walk and it will only count what it thinks is exercise. If you fall below the threshold of "brisk walk" (ie, slowing down, stopping to talk, stopping to let the dog do his thing) then you'll stop getting credit. It'll pick up again once you're above the threshold. There is also a pause option in the app you can use if you chose (it turns off the heart rate monitor until you resume again). I used this feature when I hiked Angels Landing at Zion last month and took a 30 minute break at the top.

In the workout app you can track indoor/outdoor walk, indoor outdoor run, indoor/outdoor biking, elliptical, rowing, stair stepper and other. When done, the workout app will then upload the info to the Activity App and translate the data to the rings. Does that help? If not I can try to be more specific.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

So the workout app is on the watch and uses GPS from the phone to track cycling?

Cool. Angels Landing is such a great hike. I live about an hour from Zion N.P. I've climbed it quite a few times. I love using Flyover to adjust the angles and viewpoints.
    image.jpg

6. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I went on another outdoor walk this morning at a pretty fast pace for 45 min. It logged every minute this time. My HR seems pretty high but then again it's Florida at 90 degrees and 100% humidity.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434229730.382947.jpg

• List
  7. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

Here' Apple's write up on GPS/calibration, etc.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204516

Angels Landing was the most intense/scary hike I've every done. One misstep and you can plummet off a 1200 foot cliff. I can't wait to do it again!!

That's a great pace for a walk. No wonder you got full credit for it!

8. detroity2k

detroity2k Member
    Bronze

Are you getting the same step numbers in your watch and phone? My Health app on the iPhone has a much higher step number than the apps I am testing in the watch. The numbers on the watch a all the same but much lower than the Health app. I thought the watch would combine the numbers with the phone since it is not with me all day.

Does the watch count steps when it is out of range from the phone?

If it counts steps while out of range, does it sync with the Health App once your back in range?

I have the watch on all day, why would it count less steps than the phone that is only with me 1/2 the day?

What's the best watch app for tracking my steps all day. Clean looking on the watch and easy to see the current steps in glance?

Does anyone know why they didn't put the Health App on the Apple Watch?

#8 detroity2k, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  9. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

The watch does. It learns. Mine is fairly accurate now. The first 2 times I was on the treadmill for about 44 minutes and covered 2.79 miles. The watch only gave me credit for 2.2 miles.

But I found if I did a couple times around my neighborhood outside with my phone and watch. My next treadmill was almost spot on. I have really enjoyed the Health portion of getting the watch. I did cheat one day at work. lol. I found going up in the Elevator. I could walk around the perimeter of the elevator and it gave me credit for Climbing Steps. lol

• List
  10. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

Duplicate steps are supposed to get canceled out - so if you have both your phone and you watch on you each step will only get counted once.

The watch should count steps when your separated from your phone and then sync up at a later time. If it's not try resetting either the phone or the watch and see if that helps. I've had to do that a few times to force a sync.

11. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

Hey @Europa - just for fun, flights climbed from my day at Zion! :)

image.jpg

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's actually 1500 feet. (y) It's my favorite hike there. It's too dangerous in the winter, though. I just go to Scout Lookout and then turn back if it's icy at the top. You still need crampons for your shoes for Walter's Wiggles (the switchback right before Scout Lookout) since it doesn't get any sun. The warning on the shuttle right before they drop you off at the trailhead always makes me feel like a bit of a daredevil. Hehe. You went at the perfect time of year. If you ever get a chance to go back, do Observation Point. It's across from Angel's Landing and about 500 feet higher. You can look down at the people on top of Angel's from there. It has even better views of Zion and it's a great workout with fewer people. Here's a few pics I took at Angel's Landing a couple years ago:
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

13. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

I'll have to check out Scout Lookout next time I go. Here are a few pics from the trip. Don't let the chains fool you! They give a very false sense of security! And to keep the thread on topic I included my activity app stats for that day. :cool:

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Great pics! You went through Scout's Lookout. It's immediately after the switchback. It's the turnaround point for those who don't want to climb the narrow ridge to the summit.

15. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

Thanks! iPhone 6 does take some nice shots. Ok, so I did see Scouts Lookout. I do remember a few worried looking people there not sure if they should continue or not.

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I worry every time Mindi climbs it. I mean, who's gonna make my grilled cheese sandwiches and artichokes?

17. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

That sounds delicious!!

18. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

All joking aside, she's like here mother - a great cook.

19. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Id be worried about mountain lions!!

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They aren't really a concern. Falls are the biggest worry. I hear about a fatal fall there about once a year. I've never heard of anyone being attacked by a mountain lion at Zion and I've never seen one, even on night hikes. Apparently, they stay away from humans and it's extremely rare that they attack people. Very young children who are alone are at the highest risk. You're more likely to have a fatal bee sting, snake bite, dog attack or lightning strike than be killed by a mountain lion.