Flash coming to iPhone according to Adobe

ItalianBoston

Bronze
Aug 9, 2007
Adobe Bringing Flash to the iPhone

Tuesday March 18, 2008 11:39 PM EST; Category: iPhone
Written by Arnold Kim

Adobe made comments today that they will be delivering a Flash client for the iPhone. According to Adobe's Chief Executive Shantanu Narayen, Adobe has downloaded the iPhone SDK and is planning on building a Flash Player for the iPhone and distributing it via Apple's iTunes App store. "We believe Flash is synonymous with the Internet experience, and we are committed to bringing Flash to the iPhone," Narayen said. "We have evaluated (the software developer tools) and we think we can develop an iPhone Flash player ourselves."

The news comes a few weeks after Apple's Steve Jobs stated his reasons why Flash is not available for the iPhone. Jobs claimed that Flash Lite for mobile was not full featured enough, while the full version of Flash would not run well on the iPhone. Other reports have claimed the core issue preventing the release of Flash for iPhone is a licensing negotiation between Adobe and Apple over the iPhone's PDF renderer.

It's not clear how exactly Adobe would bring Flash to the iPhone, as there are several restrictions in the iPhone SDK that could prevent its release.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
good news. at least they're working on it.

AntonChigurh

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
For $49.99......
(not actual price, it's a joke)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
why would they charge for it? it doesn't cost anything on any other platform... does it?

ItalianBoston

Bronze
Aug 9, 2007
I woulnt pay that much for it, I hope that is not the case.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I would pay up to 9.99 for a Flash client that could play YouTube, GoogleVideo, DailyMotion and CollegeHumor in Safari and not in some separate video player.

Video playback about the extent of my Flash use, and unfortunately its one of the most important aspects of the medium.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
don't forget pandora! It is THE coolest website ever (after EIC, of course).

www.pandora.com

check it out. I don't work for them, i swear.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
This is really good news people. Yes, I bet they will charge for it. But if it's more than $10 they're fools.

If it's $10 they're geniuses.

p.s. Pandora is wicked.

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
Ill pay 30 bucks for it easy, flash would literally allow you to view practically any webpage I can think of that I wish I could visit.

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
I mean 9.99....lets not lose our minds here, 30 dollars is a bit pricey for software on a phone, dontcha think?

KeKe

Bronze
Dec 26, 2007
Finally some new about flash but I hope it won't cost too much. But I would love to have it especially for myspace and to watch videos online.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
It may not cost anything at all. Having Adobe software running on every iPhone may be enough of a reward for the company.

Videos would be great to have embeded in the web pages, but I would love to play all those flash games available online on the iPhone! There are literally thousands of them!

jbarrack

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
New York
www.facebook.com
I read this earlier today. I think its awesome. I like the face that Adobe see something that the people want and is going to give it to them rather than wait for Apple to develop it.