Flash drive

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

DD0

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Is the iPhone's flash drive removable? How hard would it be to take apart and access it?

Last edited by a moderator:

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Tech. YES but not easily. It looks like the iPhone will be sealed so getting it open will be a problem.

How do you know this? We all know its a sealed unit but I would think that its a single board inside with the flash chips soldered onboard. If you were to use any other method the phone would not be as sleek. What is the source for your "Yes" answer on this one? Or are you just making stuff up?

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Your right anything COULD be removed, its getting it to function completely after adding another that is tricky. He didn't ask if we could upgrade it just if it was removable.

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Your right anything COULD be removed, its getting it to function completely after adding another that is tricky. He didn't ask if we could upgrade it just if it was removable.

By removable he probably meant had a connector on it. The iPods have a ZIF ribbon on their drives which make them sorta upgradable. the ZIF connection used in an ipod has a 1.8" hdd attached. Even a drive this small wouldn't fit in an iPhone.

It would be cool if those in the know could soup their unit up by adding memory, but this could be an arduous task. I wouldn't do it.

I would however attempt to replace the battery myself if the process was well documented by third party battery producers. That shouldn't be that bad.

iJohn

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Long Island, NY
johnburke.tumblr.com
Not that you would really want to use it as such, but will the iPhone have the "Use This As An External Disc" option in iTunes to add files and such? Theres one or two files I would like to have with me.

Or would it be better to just email it to myself and then be able to view them.

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Not that you would really want to use it as such, but will the iPhone have the "Use This As An External Disc" option in iTunes to add files and such? Theres one or two files I would like to have with me.

Or would it be better to just email it to myself and then be able to view them.
I would bet you are able to use the drive option like on all the other iPods.

LTownBrodown

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Landrum, South Carolina
I probably wouldn't want to risk opening something that costs $600, it would be nice tho if one day Apple set up a program like they have for replacing ipod batteries. Maybe they could offer larger flash drives once they start offering larger flash drive iPhones

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Bluetooth would be nice if you could hook it up that way. I don't have bluetooth on my pc. I need to fix that.