Flash for iPhone

Aug 1, 2007
Notice how when you go to YouTube.com or a site with videos, you need a plugin. Anyway to walk around this or fix this?
lol if there was, it would be on here like right away that second the person finds out. Im sure we'll all get notified the day Flash comes out as an update or someone cracks it.

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
When and IF flash is ever avaible on the iPhone I bet it will boost the salses because I think a lot of people want it....I just want to play flash games...

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I disagree, I doubt 10% of the general public even has a clue about Flash.....
They may not understand all the ins and outs of Flash, but they ALL know when it doesn't work. Too many sites and apps depend on it these days for it not to be integrated into EVERY web browsing device. Lack of Flash in the iPhone is one of those "wtf were they thinking" scenarios. Hopefully an oversight (or bad decision) that will be corrected sooner than later...

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
We don't even need full flashnimtergrstion just enough so menu bars and stuff like that work... I can see were loading an entire page made out o flash could be a problem

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Flash is partly up to Adobe as well. You know how long it takes Adobe to port things over... plus it has to get up to Apple's standards.

My guess is we won't see Flash on iPhone until 10.5 (Leopard) ships. (And when Apple unveils a "formal" SDK for the iPhone.)

jedibugs

Jul 26, 2007
The reason the iPhone doesn't support Flash is because Apple wanted to give Google a reason to switch their content over to H.264 for higher quality on the iPhone and larger selection for AppleTV. Once all YouTube videos are H.264, we'll likely see an update with flash support in Safari.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
The reason the iPhone doesn't support Flash is because Apple wanted to give Google a reason to switch their content over to H.264 for higher quality on the iPhone and larger selection for AppleTV. Once all YouTube videos are H.264, we'll likely see an update with flash support in Safari.
Where did you get this information? (Citation.)

I find it a bit hard to believe as even the number of new videos on YouTube is out pacing the number converted to H.264. At this rate they will never finish.

--
Mike

jedibugs

Jul 26, 2007
Sorry, I didn't mean to present that as confirmed fact, it's just the theory that makes the most sense to me.

From what I understand, the H.264 switchover is supposed to be complete by the end of fall...so I'd guess Early November or thereabouts. I assume this means that new videos added are automatically getting the H.264 treatment.

YouTube forst started implementing H.264 for the AppleTV and it only makes sense that Apple would give them as much incentive as possible to keep up with rolling out the superior format. A flash-compatible iPhone would take away some incentive, especially given the lackluster sales of the AppleTV. But holding off on supporting flash gives AppleTV users a larger YouTube library and, thereforee, larger incentive to buy an AppleTV.

There's no logical or technical reason for Apple to ignore the importance of flash in the concept of having "the internet in your pocket" other than one of businesss. I think it's highly likely and very smart, in the long-term.

Where did you get this information? (Citation.)

I find it a bit hard to believe as even the number of new videos on YouTube is out pacing the number converted to H.264. At this rate they will never finish.

--
Mike

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Mind sharing your version of who shot Kennedy?

Sorry, I didn't mean to present that as confirmed fact, it's just the theory that makes the most sense to me.

From what I understand, the H.264 switchover is supposed to be complete by the end of fall...so I'd guess Early November or thereabouts. I assume this means that new videos added are automatically getting the H.264 treatment.

YouTube forst started implementing H.264 for the AppleTV and it only makes sense that Apple would give them as much incentive as possible to keep up with rolling out the superior format. A flash-compatible iPhone would take away some incentive, especially given the lackluster sales of the AppleTV. But holding off on supporting flash gives AppleTV users a larger YouTube library and, thereforee, larger incentive to buy an AppleTV.

There's no logical or technical reason for Apple to ignore the importance of flash in the concept of having "the internet in your pocket" other than one of businesss. I think it's highly likely and very smart, in the long-term.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona

About a week ago I followed a bunch of new videos to see if, or how long, they would appear for the iPhone. My conclusion at the time was they weren't even keeping up with new videos.

Plus, out of 3 dozen or so videos I have been waiting to be converted not one has yet.

While I've heard about the by fall time-frame for awhile now, I guess I'm just finding it hard to believe lately. If at least some of the vids I have been waiting to be converted were complete I might feel differently.

--
Mike

iPaul

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
Minneapolis

Well, they simply are not being converted. My experience is that very few new or old vids are being converted - really only ones in the "Most Viewed" or "Featured" sections it seems.

Has anyone here actually uploaded or knows anyone who has uploaded a private video that's been converted? Not likely - this widgit is more of a proof of concept implementation than anything if you ask me, and it's taking up valuable real estate. IMHO, I think Apple changed course when they realized that Flash was going to need to be fast tracked, and H.264 is not going to be fuly implemented in Youtube... I mean if some type of Flash functionality is included, why bother? If I can't actually access anything except "Chocolate Rain" and Beyonce videos, I'd really like something else there... I could think of a few things...:sick:

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
this widgit is more of a proof of concept implementation than anything if you ask me, and it's taking up valuable real estate.
Well then don't use it. C'mon now.... YouTube is a free service! It's meant to waste time on the iPhone anyway.

If you were YouTube, wouldn't you try to focus on the most viewed first, instead of some obscure video that only gets 2 hits per month?

YouTube is probably tweaking its software as well so eventually when you upload a video, it will also convert to h.264. Converting millions of videos (and subsequently adding more storage space) doesn't happen overnight.

There's also many security reasons Adobe (and Apple) need to address before there's Flash support on the iPhone.

Aug 27, 2007
If you were YouTube, wouldn't you try to focus on the most viewed first, instead of some obscure video that only gets 2 hits per month?
This is just faulty logic...
The videos that show up are on some sort of featured list...Someone...somewhere...is selecting these videos...and that's how they get selected...

go to your iPhone youtube search
type Funk soul brothers

then go to your desktop....go to you tube and search the same thing...

My video is the 6th one down...and has more views than almost all of the videos returned in the iPhone search that have already been converted and are viewable on the iPhone...

Not sure of the method of selection...but it has nothing to do with views...