Flash on The iPhone. It's NOT coming. Well at least not from Adobe by themselves.

kariya9mdoa

Bronze
Oct 26, 2007
Adobe is backpedaling from their previous statement regarding the development of flash on the iPhone by Adobe. It now appears that Adobe will not be able to develop the iPhone flash themselves as they previously claimed. If flash is coming to the iPhone Adobe is going to need the help of Apple.

If you remember a couple days ago Adobe announced that "We have evaluated (the software developer tools) and we think we can develop an iPhone Flash player ourselves."

Turns out they spoke too soon. Adobe has come out with a follow up stating:

“However, to bring the full capabilities of Flash to the iPhone Web-browsing experience, we do need to work with Apple beyond and above what is available through the SDK and the current license around it,” the company said.

“We think Flash availability on the iPhone benefits Apple and Adobe’s millions of joint customers, so we want to work with Apple to bring these capabilities to the device.”

Way to go Adobe. Look before you leap next time. Hopefully Apple works with you to bring flash to the iPhone, even though Steve says your current mobile flash isn't good enough.

[via macworld]

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Even Mobile flash would be better than nothing. Sooo tired of going to sites that I cannot view because either some or all of the content is Flash. Granted, Flash is a resource hog from hell, kinda like PDF's can be ( gee, another adobe product) but it's definitely not going away, and it can be streamlined to run faster and more efficiently.
I think that the big hurdle is the internet cache size is not large enough to handle a full flash site.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
yes, I said in an earlier post that even with the SDK Adobe couldn't create a full flash plugin for the iPhone. Mostly because the license doesn't allow for Safari plugins and because you can't develop plugins with the SDK anyway. The only way for Adobe to be able to do it would be to develop a new browser for the phone and release it with flash. However there is still the problem of Apple approving the program which is unlikely. Hopefully Apple gets the point that people want it. I wouldn't be surprised if they are developing it in house so they don't have to deal with Adobe but who knows.

I would love to see some other browsers on the iPhone besides Safari but I don't think it will ever happen.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
“Adobe has evaluated the iPhone SDK and can now start to develop a way to bring Flash Player to the iPhone. However, to bring the full capabilities of Flash to the iPhone Web-browsing experience we do need to work with Apple beyond and above what is available through the SDK and the current license around it.” via news.com.

I think you are painting a grimmer picture than necessary.