Flash Overated?

cdfink08

Jul 17, 2007
don't get me wrong, I would love to see flash incorporated into safari on the iPhone but how necessary is it? I saw a demo of the new browser for ppc's and it was neat that it could play video and stuff of that sort but is worth it on a 3 1/2 inch screen? Personally i would like the ability to download stuff while in safari over flash, hell, id rather see copy and paste before flash. I just want do know why everyone is jumping on the flash bandwagon? what are your thoughts? Afterall i think we keep forgetting, however nice the iPhone's safari may be, it's still a phone lol.

AntonChigurh

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
A lot of website incorporate flash and I don't like seeing that blue box appear when it cannot load something. I think it's inconvenient when I can't see what is on the site. I like to think that I should be able to go on any website on my phone that I can on my computer and have it be the same.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I agree with the above posters. I may not think flash is that big a deal until the one time you need to get to a site to get information and it is not reachable due to not having flash capability. Kind of like car insurance. Not necessary 99.99999% of the time but the one time you need it.....

steviep831

Bronze
Jan 15, 2008
The reason we're jumping on the flash bandwagon is because flash is so pervasive in web content. A lot of websites use flash. Not only for video but for actual content. It's amazing just how much flash is actually out there. And as others have said, it's really disappointing to visit a website that is crippled because the iPhone does not offer this simple integration. The fact that I could listen to XM on my iPhone is just icing on the cake (h/t hexonxonx).

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
Flash is going to be huge for the iPhone, because Flash is not just about website intros, overly-complicated-navigation menus, or streaming video, its actually a lot more robust a platform than a lot of people realize.

Just consider what Ajax did for the iPhone, now pump that full of steroids and you'll understand what Flash brings to the table. Its really quite powerful, it can pass variables to and from all the major database platforms without much leg work, if any, and is already built around delivering high impact visuals and interactivity at low bandwidth rates. Flash works on most every platform out there and doesn't need OS/Manfacturer specific builds. A flash movie made on Mac will play on PC and vice versa. Whats great is Flash could also be used to power native apps, just like a projector on your desktop ;)

Get ready for a huge influx of web applications if Flash comes to the iPhone.