Flash Theory...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
It occurred to me that it's very possible the reason we don't have Flash is because of iTunes.

If Apple gives us Flash, we will then have the ability to visit any network website and watch streaming video of most of the tv episodes that Apple charges us $2 to download on iTunes.

Granted, the whole format issue and potential 3rd party negotiating could still be the underlying problem, but this just seems to make the most sense. Give iPhone Flash and Apple loses revenue.

I hope I'm wrong. If I'm right, we may never get Flash...

:-(

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Could be a reason, the other being that flash mobile was only released (formally) on the first of the month. Apple might actually have to do a little work on their end to make it work well with the mobile version of Safari. I really do hope that Flash comes to the iPhone as while the internet on the iPhone is better then other phones it is not the "complete internet in my pocket" as SJ pitched it.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Now that I'm in a Flash frame of mind, along the same lines, it would open up a whole host of games and applications that Apple may be planning to charge us for in the future through iTunes.

If this is actually the reason (and we may never know for sure), this logic would be the first thing Apple's done that would anger me enough to consider abandoning the product line.

I'd better stop now, I'm getting myself worked up over mere speculation!

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Could be a reason, the other being that flash mobile was only released (formally) on the first of the month. Apple might actually have to do a little work on their end to make it work well with the mobile version of Safari. I really do hope that Flash comes to the iPhone as while the internet on the iPhone is better then other phones it is not the "complete internet in my pocket" as SJ pitched it.
With "full" Safari, we shouldn't need Flash mobile or FlashLite.

On a less cynical note, there is also the possibility that, due to the very locked up nature of the iPhone os, there may simply be no way to embed Flash into Safari. This also makes sense due to proprietary software components that neither Apple nor Adobe are willing to concede. Apple would either have to allow Adobe access to Safari/iPhone code or vice versa. With both companies' deathgrip on internal secrecy, it becomes more apparently complex an issue than just getting it to work.

I just want Flash to work like everyone else. I hope it's coming soon...