Flash, videos, PDF, and more

Jan 10, 2009
I just purchased a new 8GB iPhone yesterday (I presume it's the G3/3G), that I was hoping to use as my primary phone and Internet device, however, I was unaware that a lot of the bells and whistles I'm used to on a PC were done away w/ and possibly won't be available. For example, there are some videos I've got saved on my ancient laptop, that I usually view in Media Player, and I occasionally like to use QuickTime as well, but I couldn't even get QT to download, nor did I see it as an option in the APP store. I would also like to view things in PDF format that are e-mailed to me, or sites that require a PDF reader, in addition to using MS Office apps, like Word, Excel, and PowerPoint primarily, or at least download the viewers for each one. I know there are MS and other programs geared to work w/ the Mac OS', but I am having a hard time finding things to work w/ the iPhone.
Did I make a mistake in purchasing this hyped-up product?

iprncess

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
I wouldn't call it "hyped" up. You just have to do your research before you purchase. I can tell you Flash is not available and I can view PDF/office documents from my email just fine.
I would suggest searching the forum and viewing the Apple site to see what the phone is actually capable of. Not saying this is the case with you, but I know lots of people who run out and get the phone just to have an iPhone, then they are pissed when they realize what it doesn't do. I personally have a love hate relationship with my phone but I knew what it wouldn't do when I bought it. For me the pros out weighed the cons.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I'm not going to slam you here, as you didn't sign up to be a troll (we got a lot of those) but you really need to research products before you buy them, especially with larger investments like the iPhone. The device has lacked Flash since it's release in June of '07. It may come in the future, but for now, you just can't get it.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I know we all see things different - designs, feature needs etc.

But I still....(after a long good relationship with my V1 and now 3G iPhone)....don't get it!? Why are people calling the super gadget iPhone for "over-hyped"?

I have only one thing to say to these people - go buy other mobile phones and complain about ALL the missing features on these!

I would like to repeat myself: I have tried out Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Samsung and non...I mean NON..is near the features and "wooorw" effect like the iPhone!

....or is it just me...:cool:

Webby

Jun 5, 2008
I wouldn't call it "hyped" up. You just have to do your research before you purchase. I can tell you Flash is not available and I can view PDF/office documents from my email just fine.
I would suggest searching the forum and viewing the Apple site to see what the phone is actually capable of. Not saying this is the case with you, but I know lots of people who run out and get the phone just to have an iPhone, then they are pissed when they realize what it doesn't do. I personally have a love hate relationship with my phone but I knew what it wouldn't do when I bought it. For me the pros out weighed the cons.
It is hyped up

Dec 8, 2008
N
It lacks some simple features most old phones have/has more features then most phones, and you also got an ipod. Go with windows mobile, come tell us about it later, lol

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
There are apps to view your office files. Search in the iTunes app store. Quicktime is already on the iPhone, but it only plays MP4 files. You can easily convert your videos to work with the iPhone. Search the everythingiCafe DVD conversion forum.
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/forums/dvd-to-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch/
It's not surprising that the iPhone (an Apple product) would not play windows media files. They are a competing brand. Just convert the files. It's not that difficult and good software (like one called "Super") is available for free.

The only problem you will face is with flash. Flash is unsupported. Other things to look forward to never receiving: Copy and paste. MMS. A2DP and any other bluetooth profile. And apparently turn by turn directions for your GPS.

I don't think the iPhone is over-hyped. It's* the best phone on the market, despite its* flaws. Don't listen to the fanboys telling you to get another phone. You will soon find that the best phone really is the iPhone. It might lack certain "essential" features, but the user-interface has no peer. And that is really the most essential "feature" of any phone.

*notice the lack of an apostrophe in "its" ;) LOL. "It's" means "it is." "its" is the possessive form of "it." No biggie. Just think you should know.

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
Ok here. You can view PDFs and MS Office files. You can't view flash (yet), but you can watch virtually every flash Internet videos (if you jailbreak it) via iMobileCinema.

XJM

Jan 10, 2009
the iPhone Is not hyped up you're just a dumb retard that does not know how to use it. All phones are inferior to the I phone.If you have noticed I phone is never advertised with any other phones

Jan 11, 2009
XJM - glad to see you're the chosen bully of enlightenment. Nice.

The iPhone is lacking is certain areas, but I agree with the earlier post that the pros far outweigh the cons. As a PDA, my 7 year old iPAQ had more use, but as a wireless tool - nothing beats the iPhone. Besides, I haven't had this much fun with a new toy since my first computer 20 years ago! ahhh... the thought of those beautiful 5" floppy boot disks! And, the 26 disks that came to load Microsoft Windows!

XJM

Jan 10, 2009
I phone is the ultimate device. Forget using it for a phone call I've been playing the flute with mine, and taking piano lessons LOL. "dumb retard" was to see if anyone was reading.

KarlJ

Dec 17, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Your mistake was failing to do your due diligence before buying. Don't blame the so-called hype. You would have known if it was for you, had you researched beforehand.

XJM

Jan 10, 2009
You can't go wrong with the iPhone plain and simple all devices are inferior.

sheelz

Bronze
Jan 13, 2009
Viewing MS Office files

Ok here. You can view PDFs and MS Office files. You can't view flash (yet), but you can watch virtually every flash Internet videos (if you jailbreak it) via iMobileCinema.
Hi - I wasn't expecting to have this enabled in iPhone. If it's possible to view Word documents, that'd be awesome (my phone isn't JB'd). Must go and have a scurry around the applications!;)

jdinner

Bronze
Dec 14, 2008
I just purchased a new 8GB iPhone yesterday (I presume it's the G3/3G), that I was hoping to use as my primary phone and Internet device, however, I was unaware that a lot of the bells and whistles I'm used to on a PC were done away w/ and possibly won't be available. For example, there are some videos I've got saved on my ancient laptop, that I usually view in Media Player, and I occasionally like to use QuickTime as well, but I couldn't even get QT to download, nor did I see it as an option in the APP store. I would also like to view things in PDF format that are e-mailed to me, or sites that require a PDF reader, in addition to using MS Office apps, like Word, Excel, and PowerPoint primarily, or at least download the viewers for each one. I know there are MS and other programs geared to work w/ the Mac OS', but I am having a hard time finding things to work w/ the iPhone.
I still can't get my iPhone to take my temperature rectally, there must be an app out there. I can't believe this phone can't shift gears on my car either.

jdinner

Bronze
Dec 14, 2008
Hi - I wasn't expecting to have this enabled in iPhone. If it's possible to view Word documents, that'd be awesome (my phone isn't JB'd). Must go and have a scurry around the applications!;)
Try "Files lite", it's free and works with Wifi, I love it. No need to JB.

sheelz

Bronze
Jan 13, 2009
Last edited by a moderator: