"Flash will NEVER appear on the iPhone..."

soma4society

Bronze
Dec 9, 2008
Here is a quote from an article I came across only recently so I hope it hasn't been a topic for discussion a thousand times already: if so, sorry. I just would like to know if there is logic behind what the author's appraisal for the likelihood of flash is, particularly from anyone out there who knows more about Apple/iPhone/tech stuff than I do (this, for the record, is not hard to accomplish). The link to the full article is below, and the emphasis was added by me...

"Allowing Flash — which is a development platform of its own — would just be too dangerous for Apple, a company that enjoys exerting total dominance over its hardware and the software that runs on it. Flash has evolved from being a mere animation player into a multimedia platform capable of running applications of its own. That means Flash would open a new door for application developers to get their software onto the iPhone: Just code them in Flash and put them on a web page. In so doing, Flash would divert businesss from the App Store, as well as enable publishers to distribute music, videos and movies that could compete with the iTunes Store."

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2008/11/adobe-flash-on/

Any thoughts? Problems with this logic? Something I'm missing? I sure hope so...:(

Best to all
C

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I've always hated reading this...
"In so doing, Flash would divert businesss from the App Store, as well as enable publishers to distribute music, videos and movies that could compete with the iTunes Store."
...I can navigate Safari on my iPhone to Amazon and buy things, anywhere on the web and buy music that the App Store has. If that is their reasoning then it's just stupid.

soma4society

Bronze
Dec 9, 2008
I've always hated reading this...
"In so doing, Flash would divert businesss from the App Store, as well as enable publishers to distribute music, videos and movies that could compete with the iTunes Store."
...I can navigate Safari on my iPhone to Amazon and buy things, anywhere on the web and buy music that the App Store has. If that is their reasoning then it's just stupid.
Agreed, one can use the iPhone to navigate to any online retailer and purchase/download items--I don't think Apple views this as a bad thing in and of itself. Not all items so purchased, after all, would directly threaten what is arguably becoming one of the company's major revenue generating streams (i.e., the app store). So this is the part I'm most curious about: can software "coded in Flash" really become software that is then a part of the iPhone, thereby--in theory--circumnavigating need for the app store? Or if not circumnavigating the need, at least doing an end run around it for SOME things? I think it's this aspect that the author speaks to when he says allowing Flash would voilate the terms of service, and I just don't know enough about Flash to verify this.

C