Flashing Screen with a Bloody Gear

wolferene

Apr 29, 2008
HELP! I bought an iPhone off of eBay that I am trying to repair. Whenever I plug this iPhone in, to either a power outlet or a computer, immediately the screen starts to blink and a picture of a gear with blood on the upper right corner is displayed. I haven't been able to find this anywhere. Does anyone know what this is or how to fix it. Thank you.

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
Umm try to put in DFU mode? Hold top button and home button till it turns off then let go of top button and keep holding bottom. iit should say connect to iTunes

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
if u could take a pic of the screen on the bloody gear. This sounds very interesting. What chcorey said should work just fine.

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
if u could take a pic of the screen on the bloody gear. This sounds very interesting. What chcorey said should work just fine.
Ya i kinda want to see this screen too

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
If a pic were posted it would be a good start at finding the source of the problem as well as a warning for others who may come accros this same problem.

wolferene

Apr 29, 2008

these are kind of blury / dark but you get the picture. I tried to put it into recovery mode without any luck. It wont turn on without being plugged in. As soon as it is plugged in, it flashes this picture and cannot be but into DFU mode.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ok, now I'm starting to get freaked out for you.

I've never heard of such a thing. What DFU method are you using?

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
that *might* be a failed pwnage attempt..

there shouldn't be such problems though...

wolferene

Apr 29, 2008
to DFU I'm holding down both the power and the home button, but the screen never turns off when plugged in, nor wont turn on when not plugged in. However my dad is working on this too. He said that it has a defective power button. He swapped the power button from his own iPhone and tried to turn on the DFU (not sure what method he used) on another broken iPhone he is working on (kernel panic) and he told me that it didn't work. Both of these defective iPhones are the same one, he is just trying different boards on them. So, technically I am not sure if the power button that is currently installed is the working one. I'll have to wait until tomorrow night to verify this. Any other ideas are appreciated though.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
Ive never seen or heard of such a thing. Keep us posted please.

wolferene

Apr 29, 2008
my dad told me that the iPhone cannot be placed in the DFU mode with a functional power button, any other ideas?

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
Sounds to me like the phone is lost..... Too bad too because this is like the third phone I've read about today that seems unsalvegable.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
point me to the other two, will you, bone?

i need to make a list of unfixable symptoms.

paholler

Jul 26, 2009
Just wanted to bump this as I have the same issue.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Sounds like it's stuck at the boot logo, and it was jailbroken by someone who made a custom boot logo inspired by the SAW movies. Very cool boot logo (I think evolution would love it too)...that is until it gets stuck there. DFU mode doesn't work paholler?

paholler

Jul 26, 2009
Nope, I was not able to enter DFU. The phone is a formerly working prototype given to me by a friend who used to work for Apple. He didn't mention anything, but perhaps it was "disabled" before being sent out. I am replacing the logic board to see if I can get it working.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Definitely sounds like a custom boot logo, but if DFU can't be achieved in either case.. I dunno, it's pretty weird. Surely if this gear was some hidden part of the device's firmware, there would be other cases. Perhaps it's something specific to prototypes that were running an early version of a firmware, that, like the betas released to devs, expired at a certain date and then displayed this gear?