FlashPlayer 10 coming to mobile phone, except the iPhone

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10270274-1.html

Looks like other mobile phones are getting mobile flash except the iPhone. I guess Apple doesn't want to let go of their stronghold on being on the only way to distribute apps to the phone (since flash would open up many web apps). I'm guessing we will have a fight with Apple for Flash like we did with MMS and they'll finally announce it next year with iPhone 4.0 and say look we are giving you this new technology called Flash... C'mon Apple seriously

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10270274-1.html

Looks like other mobile phones are getting mobile flash except the iPhone. I guess Apple doesn't want to let go of their stronghold on being on the only way to distribute apps to the phone (since flash would open up many web apps). I'm guessing we will have a fight with Apple for Flash like we did with MMS and they'll finally announce it next year with iPhone 4.0 and say look we are giving you this new technology called Flash... C'mon Apple seriously
It's because Apple wants real flash not mobile flash. They also want no battery drainage flash.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Flash has been talked about many times on this forum as to when or why it's coming or not already on the iPhone. The link below was originally posted by JWiPhone and may answer at least a little of your concerns.

Flash for iPhone complete

It was announced early this morning that Flash for the iPhone has been completed and will be a part of the iPhone 3.0 firmware update scheduled for summer 2009. Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen issued the following statement;
“The Apple/Adobe collaboration was a success and while Flash on the iPhone is still limited, we have completed what we feel is a version suitable to be integrated into the mobile Safari app on the iPhone. Users will be able to stream Flash media and enjoy streaming movies. At this point in time, interactive Flash content is still too resource intensive to be functional but our team is working on that as well.”
Development of Flash for the iPhone has hit major roadblocks when it came to the limited hardware capacity of the iPhone. Last time we reported on the issue, both Adobe and Apple had engineers working to bring Flash support to the iPhone. The beta version of the iPhone firmware 3.0 will not have Flash so don’t upgrade unless you want to brick your iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
If Apple wanted flash they would of had it on the 3G S. It's the fact that they'll release it in a different model in order to keep people to upgrade or perhaps welcome new users. Why make a phone with everything. That defeats the purpose of making money. Next year a new feature will be added but again a feature that we all want will be left out.

giantbrownguy

Bronze
Oct 15, 2008
Canada
First off, I don't really think there's many features left people are craving. Maybe a couple (folders, etc.). Secondly, I'm just curious if Watcher noticed that the Adobe post was made on April Fool's Day? Flash won't come for the iPhone, but it should... It's a pain in the ass to not view certain websites.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I've said it before and I'll say it again:
the iPhone doesn't need to conform to flash, flash games/apps conform to it lol.
I can't even think of anything off the top of my head that can't be created into an app or is already on youtube...

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Also, a lot of people (not me personally) research restaurants on their iPhones, and a lot of menus are done in flash. Maybe not a big deal to some, but important to others.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Flash has been talked about many times on this forum as to when or why it's coming or not already on the iPhone. The link below was originally posted by JWiPhone and may answer at least a little of your concerns.

Flash for iPhone complete

Wed, Apr 1, 2009
Apple News

It was announced early this morning that Flash for the iPhone has been completed and will be a part of the iPhone 3.0 firmware update scheduled for summer 2009. Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen issued the following statement;
“The Apple/Adobe collaboration was a success and while Flash on the iPhone is still limited, we have completed what we feel is a version suitable to be integrated into the mobile Safari app on the iPhone. Users will be able to stream Flash media and enjoy streaming movies. At this point in time, interactive Flash content is still too resource intensive to be functional but our team is working on that as well.”
Development of Flash for the iPhone has hit major roadblocks when it came to the limited hardware capacity of the iPhone. Last time we reported on the issue, both Adobe and Apple had engineers working to bring Flash support to the iPhone. The beta version of the iPhone firmware 3.0 will not have Flash so don’t upgrade unless you want to brick your iPhone.

Yes, unfortunately when I posted that I thought it was legit. Afterwards, with egg on my face, I saw it was just an April Fool's prank by the website iPhonespies. I posted a retraction to that thread. I give them credit for making it all sound plausible.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Hulu.com - The biggest reason for flash that exists right now.
That can be created into an app and I thought I read something about them working on it anyway.

As for menus on websites done in flash, that is a downside but most flash sites have a html version.