Flaws and Uneasiness I've noticed so far with iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

crazyperk

Sep 17, 2007
In General:
(i) No date on the Home page, I hate to go to the Calendar section to find out what’s today’s date is.
(ii) It would be nice to have touch screen option to go the Home screen, instead of pressing the button at the bottom of the phone.

Calls:
(i) There’s no way to distinguish between a Dialed call and a Received call.
(ii) Both for Dialed call and in Received call, there is no indication about the duration of the call.
(iii) Doesn’t overlay the calls from the same phone numbers in both Dialed and Received calls (Siemens mobile have this kind of feature, I hate this).
(iv) There is no way to erase or delete a particular Dialed or Received call. (I need this the most)
(v) In Usage section in Settings, it gives only the life time of calls, not the duration of received calls and dialed calls.
(vi) Call quality, ring tone volume is below par when compared with Motorola, and Nokia.
(vii) It would have been great, if there’s a Hide/Show ID section in Phone Icon. Every time, I have to go to the settings Icon and change it. Also it permanently hides ID’s until we reset it. It would be nice to have an option Hide/Show ID option for next call only.
(viii) Can’t jump to a particular contact in the Address book.
(ix) Can’t list the contacts by category (Family, Friends, General, and Personal).
(x) There’s no speed dial option (12 for Sam, 09 for Robert).

SMS:
(i) There’s no option to save the unsaved messages as Drafts.
(ii) I don’t think so we can compose an MMS message, also there are no pre-loaded multimedia templates.
(iii)There is no quick notes section. (Like messages “Hi”, “Where are you?”, “On my way”).
(iv) Unable to copy the text.

Photos:
(i)Not possible to assign Titles or Rename Titles to Photos.
(ii)No way to know about the details about the picture, like Size of the image, Type of image, Resolution, Date taken and stored.
(iii)Can’t delete photos, to do this go to iTunes in computer and remove the photos from the folder containing them.
(iv)We can’t use photos as screen saver.

Camera:
(i) There’s not Auto-timer option.
(ii)No flash option.
(iii)No pictures setup options: Lightning conditions (Automatic, night, sunny modes), Resolution options (MMS, Medium, High).
(iv)Not possible to view the free space through Camera Icon.
(v)No option to capture videos.
(vi)No zoom and exposure options.

Miscellaneous:
(i) Would be nice to have a Home page option in Safari browser.
(ii)There’s no way to personalize the home screen.
(iii)Not possible to reorder the icons in Home Screen.
(iv)There’s no greeting option when the phone is switched on.
(v) Only Digital clock option is available for the Home screen, I would love to see Analog clock option too.
(vi)No multi-langauge option.
(vii)There’s no Battery meter option, to indicate the strength of battery.
(viii)No car settings option (Auto Answer, Auto Hands free, Charger Timer).
(ix) There’s not an option to restrict calls.
(x)YouTube can’t play all type of Video file formats.

I have been using the phone for 3 days, I'm not really comfortable with call quality, ringtones and battery life. Brower, ipod, touch screen options are so amazing. Please let me know if you guys have any edginess in using iPhone and also any inputs.

Thanks!
CrazyPerk:)

Last edited by a moderator:

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Lots of little complaints. I especially like the "(iv)There’s no greeting option when the phone is switched on." That's a big mistake in my opinion too :p

About half of these things you CAN do with either hacks or a special way of doing it (like MMS), but as stated, if they bother you enough you have 14days :cool:

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Yep, if / when Apple gets around to adding all the little details that many other phones have (or should have), the iPhone could become an unstoppable powerhouse.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
It sounds like you're pretty unhappy with it. You know that you have 14 days to return?
This is getting ridiculous.

Why do some of you keep saying this to people who notice what's missing?

Are you that inexperienced with other phones?

Or is that you're just very simple in your needs? If so, good for you, but why act like you're the only person whose needs matter?

In case you forgot, one of the major selling points of the iPhone is that it's supposed to get software updates paid for out of the monthly royalty to Apple. That's tens of millions a month, which should pay for some REALLY NICE SOFTWARE ADDITIONS.

Sep 17, 2007
In General:
(i) No date on the Home page, I hate to go to the Calendar section to find out what’s today’s date is.
(ii) It would be nice to have touch screen option to go the Home screen, instead of pressing the button at the bottom of the phone.

Calls:
(ii) Both for Dialed call and in Received call, there is no indication about the duration of the call.
(iii) Doesn’t overlay the calls from the same phone numbers in both Dialed and Received calls (Siemens mobile have this kind of feature, I hate this).
(iv) There is no way to erase or delete a particular Dialed or Received call. (I need this the most)
(v) In Usage section in Settings, it gives only the life time of calls, not the duration of received calls and dialed calls.
(vi) Call quality, ring tone volume is below par when compared with Motorola, and Nokia.
(vii) It would have been great, if there’s a Hide/Show ID section in Phone Icon. Every time, I have to go to the settings Icon and change it. Also it permanently hides ID’s until we reset it. It would be nice to have an option Hide/Show ID option for next call only.
(ix) Can’t list the contacts by category (Family, Friends, General, and Personal).

SMS:
(ii) I don’t think so we can compose an MMS message, also there are no pre-loaded multimedia templates.
(iii)There is no quick notes section. (Like messages “Hi”, “Where are you?”, “On my way”).

Photos:
(ii)No way to know about the details about the picture, like Size of the image, Type of image, Resolution, Date taken and stored.
(iii)Can’t delete photos, to do this go to iTunes in computer and remove the photos from the folder containing them.

Camera:
(ii)No flash option.
(iii)No pictures setup options: Lightning conditions (Automatic, night, sunny modes), Resolution options (MMS, Medium, High).
(v)No option to capture videos.
(vi)No zoom and exposure options.

Miscellaneous:
(i) Would be nice to have a Home page option in Safari browser.
(v) Only Digital clock option is available for the Home screen, I would love to see Analog clock option too.
(vi)No multi-langauge option.
(viii)No car settings option (Auto Answer, Auto Hands free, Charger Timer).
(ix) There’s not an option to restrict calls.
(x)YouTube can’t play all type of Video file formats.

I have been using the phone for 3 days, I'm not really comfortable with call quality, ringtones and battery life. Brower, ipod, touch screen options are so amazing. Please let me know if you guys have any edginess in using iPhone and also any inputs.

Thanks!
CrazyPerk:)
Up in the right hand corner of the home page is a battery meter...:)

indydenny

Jul 4, 2007
Not really! Almost everything on the OPs list is easily learned with a few minutes of research before buying the phone.

We discussed these issues "ad nauseum." The software update will fix some of these issues and not others. If it's not right for you don't buy --or return.

We've all had other phones and know well what their features are/were and we've chosen to buy or return the iPhone. Don't really need another list of another perspective on shortcomings!

Just my $.02.

eufo

Bronze
Aug 22, 2007
Miami
I think most of the things you've mentioned are "fixable" via future updates.

I use the Apple feedback page to voice my opinion on options I think should be on the iPhone. I have faith that if enough people ask for certain features, they will eventually be included (if possible).

Here's the link:
http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007

Or is that you're just very simple in your needs? If so, good for you, but why act like you're the only person whose needs matter?

In case you forgot, one of the major selling points of the iPhone is that it's supposed to get software updates paid for out of the monthly royalty to Apple. That's tens of millions a month, which should pay for some REALLY NICE SOFTWARE ADDITIONS.
Perhaps I was a bit sarcastic and as a new owner if he had a problem that he needed assistance with, it would have been different, however... everything on the OP's "list" has been well known, well documented, well discussed, or in some cases, even wrong.

If he was this misinformed before he bought it, perhaps he also isn't aware of the return policy.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Not really! Almost everything on the OPs list is easily learned with a few minutes of research before buying the phone. .
*****ing head to one side* No, I don't think it's that easy.

I side with those who think you shouldn't have to read a 140 page manual, and hang out on geek phone forums for weeks, in order to figure out what common functions are missing.

We discussed these issues "ad nauseum."
That, I think that is more the problem. Yes, we've heard it all before. Doesn't negate the primal need for newbies to do the same :)

The software update will fix some of these issues and not others. If it's not right for you don't buy --or return..
To me, that's the same as saying that no one should've demanded a price rebate. They should've "known" what the price was.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
In General:

It's right in the date app's icon. Strike one.

This is a design decision, not a flaw. I for one would rather not waste screen space for a function that is readily available by the main button on the device. Strike two.

Calls:

These are issues that can be addressed via a software update. Most of the data is already being captured in a DB right now.

What's the point? If you want accurate minute counts get it from AT&T. The usage stats are never going to differentiate between peak, off-peak, M2M, free calls to AT&T, etc.

This is not true as a blanket statement. My iPhone sounds better than the RAZRs I've compared it to, and the last Nokia I'd owned. Ring tone volume can be improved by using Old Phone, or by adding your own volume-adjusted ringtones. My ringtones are extremely loud.

This is not a flaw at all--I would expect the setting to be retained. If you want to hide your CSID on a per-call or per-user basis add *67 to the beginning of the number. That's what I do.

Strike three?

Most everyone here knows all of this--it's not a revelation. Perhaps instead of coming here after you bought an iPhone if you read just a little bit beforehand you wouldn't act so surprised. Did you think the reviews were lying, and you really could jump to an exact contact?

As for speed dial numbers, that is what favorites are for. I'm not sure I see the need to have them "numbered" when we have to use a touch screen anyway. Perhaps 1-9 for the dial pad, but that's about it (and 1 already is used for redial).

OK, now you are complaining about the obvious. As yet undiscovered tribes hidden in the remaining Brazilian rain forest know the iPhone doesn't yet have MMS and copy-and-paste, why didn't you?

That's the way it is designed right now. I don't have a major problem with it as it forces me to manage the photos I want on my iPhone on my desktop PC. I wouldn't characterize it as a flaw though (not sure how the heck "Uneasiness" fits into any of this).

What screen saver? If you meant wallpaper then of course you can use photos for it.

Camera:
(ii)No flash option.

No, and that was known since before one. Accept it or move on to a device that has a flash. It's hardware for crying out loud--it's not gonna change on this version of the iPhone. Timer can be easily added, naturally.

Did you buy a .5 GB iPhone or something? Seriously, I have less than 500 MB free on my iPhone and the remaining number of photos I can take is still 1630. Sounds like you are trying to find things to whine about now.

You should see what has been done with personalization.

It is possible.
OMG
yer killing me here!

What? Guess the battery meters on my iPhone are a figment of my imagination...

--
Mike

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC

agreed. it's ridicules that yesterday a friend sent me an MMS and i could only view it by going back and forth from it to safari to enter the password and username for it

he has a free phone and mine costs $599. it doesn't matter that is wasn't advertised! jobs stated very clearly that software updates would add missing features "that's the good thing about this phone"

so, if tomorrow doesn't shed some light on new features other than iTunes wifi, i will be pissed. it's sad that this phone lacks basic functions. yes, it's the best phone i've ever used, and has a great ipod and browser. but sometimes i wish it could just be a basic phone. that aspect of it is mediocre.

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
*****ing head to one side* No, I don't think it's that easy.

I side with those who think you shouldn't have to read a 140 page manual, and hang out on geek phone forums for weeks, in order to figure out what common functions are missing.

That, I think that is more the problem. Yes, we've heard it all before. Doesn't negate the primal need for newbies to do the same :)

To me, that's the same as saying that no one should've demanded a price rebate. They should've "known" what the price was.

Wow...I didn't know we were all "geeks."
Thanks for pointing this out.

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
no, we aren't. but we do care more about technology than the average joe. 95% of americans don't even know what 3G is--yet many of us are angry that our phones don't have it. the point that i agree with kdarling is that people shouldn't have to read the manual, read mac user forums, or anything like that before they buy an iPhone. for $599, the thing SHOULD have the basic phone functions that every cheap phone has. IM, MMS come to mind. voice dialing is another that should be here. people should just assume they are all there. it's like buying a 60" plasma TV and having to ask if it's color. you shouldn't have to ask that or read the manual to figure it out.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
You know, I see a lot of you telling him that he should have looked here or the other online forums for these issues. But it's not that easy to find out things like this until you try it out for days. If you had to create a list of questions about what teeny tiny details to expect on a cellphone, the list would probably total about 5000 entries. You cannot possibly do a search for every single detail. The only way to research is to read reviews and to do an exhaustive search of discussion groups like this, and that is no easy task because no one has so far (to my knowledge) enumerated all of the flaws in the phone on one single list.

I applaud his effort at making the next generation of newbies' job of researching the phone easier. Thank you very much kdarling. Rather than berate him, why don't you contribute to the discussion and let's keep a running total of the flaws in the phone. When they get updated, or we discover a workaround, or the problem gets hacked/modified we can include THAT information too! Shoot! A thread like THIS should be a STICKY, JUST to make it easier for the next newbie who comes along to comply with your recommendation!

keep up the good work kdarling. Keep the list maintained, okay?

And WHY do you people keep telling people who point out deficiencies that they should give up the best phone they have ever owned?
The iPhone isn't perfect!

[sarcasm]
Oh SHOCK! How DARE SmartAlx point this out, and in bold letters too! Why if he doesn’t think his iPhone isn’t absolutely perfect, well he should just go back in time to when he stood in line for 10 hours on iDay and knock his own lights out to save himself the aggravation of purchasing the best phone he’s ever owned. Why if you don’t think the phone is absolutely perfect, then you shouldn’t buy one! And if you have already bought one and you don’t think it’s perfect, then you had BETTER return the phone and lose your restock fee because we aren’t having any of your iComplaints anymore!
[/sarcasm]

Now if you will excuse me, I'm going to go and enjoy a nice game on my iPhone.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
no, we aren't. but we do care more about technology than the average joe. 95% of americans don't even know what 3G is--yet many of us are angry that our phones don't have it. the point that i agree with kdarling is that people shouldn't have to read the manual..
Shouldn't have to read the manual? That's crazy, IMO. Sure one can skip the manual, most things are self-evident, particularly if you are used to this stuff. But I wouldn't say everyone (or "people") shouldn't need to read it.

Would you say the same thing to someone learning to drive? Of course not. I wouldn't even say that to someone buying a $600 TV--or even a $400 TV.

The iPhone is a very complex device. If you don't want to learn how to use it properly by, OMG, reading the user guide then don't. But don't complain if you don't take even a modicum of effort to find out how the thing works--when it's right in the manual. What ever happened to personal responsibility--about RTFM?

That said, you don't need to read the manual to discover the items the OP wrote about. I mean, if you don't see a flash bulb on the camera, it's not much of a leap to come to the conclusion that the phone does not have, well, a flash. If the phone doesn't jump up and down to greet you when you turn it on, well it's safe to assume it's not designed to do that.

--
Mike

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Shouldn't have to read the manual? That's crazy, IMO. Sure one can skip the manual, most things are self-evident, particularly if you are used to this stuff. But I wouldn't say everyone (or "people") shouldn't need to read it.

Would you say the same thing to someone learning to drive? Of course not. I wouldn't even say that to someone buying a $600 TV.

The iPhone is a very complex device. If you don't want to learn how to use it properly by, OMG, reading the user guide then don't. But don't complain if you don't take even a modicum off effort to find out how the thing works--when it's right in the manual. What ever happened to personal responsibility--about RTFM?

That said, you don't[/d] need to read the manual to discover the items the OP wrote about. I mean, if you don't see a flash bulb on the camera, it's not much of a leap to come to the conclusion that the phone does not have, well, a flash. If the phone doesn't jump up and down to greet you when you turn it on, well it's safe to assume it's not designed to do that.

--
Mike

you shouldn't have to read the manual to see if the phone has basic functions before you buy it, like IM, MMS, SMS, voice dialing, etc... you shouldn't have to read up on that to see if a phone that is that high end has it. and the iPhone lacks all that except SMS, which is a terrible thing. i mean, i knew it lacked it when i bought it on iday, but many people don't and don't know to look. it's time Apple added MMS and IM at least!

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Hey, I'm here too :laugh2:

The difference is, I'm an OLD geek. I designed and WIRED (that's individual wires, folks) my first home computer. With 256 bytes of RAM.

I also was once a SysOp of a couple of CompuServe forums back in its heyday. That was bigtime stuff, when it cost ~$10 an hour just be online at a glacial 300 bps. We made sure that users stayed civil to each other.

So when a bunch of people act like kids and turn what should be intelligent discussions into immature snipes ("You should've known", or "Take it back if you don't like it"), then I'm eventually going to say something.

I wonder how many of these people would act the same in person?

Regards, Kev