Florida, a good state to move to?

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Hello everyone,

I am considering FL as a possible place to move to within the next 2 years. I am from the northeast US in the healthcare industry. I've visited FL mainly during family vacations and always find it to be a great place to visit. Living there may be totally different. Anyone from this forum living there now? What do you like and dislike?

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I'm in Florida and where I am, there could be much more to do but there isn't. I have to make a good drive to get to the fun stuff like the water and putt putt etc.

Also when I was younger, of course the beach becomes the past as you've been here for so long you know it's there but it's not the same anymore, no more fun to go there too often.

Anyways, I like Florida, but it all depends on where in Florida you'll be.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Thanks MoneyMaker, I'm just looking for real life opinions, yours is greatly appreciated.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I've heard that there are at least 2 distinct parts of the state largely relating to age, political leanings, and likes and dislikes. It's not for me though I have friends who love living there.
YMMV

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I'm also in Florida and have been here for over 30 years. I'm located in the greater Tampa Bay Area. I agree that there can be a lack of things to do, but it depends on the area you're talking about I guess.
Beach and of course the theme parks are the big tourist draws. A lot of culture in the Tampa Bay Area with a large number of museums, Fl Aquarium, historic Ybor city ( also a large bar type population there )
Northern Florida is wonderful with St. Augustine area being one in particular.
@liberated, is there a certain area you are looking at?

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Thanks RoofMonkey I have family in the northern east coast. I don't know enough about the state

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Florida: Sink holes, snails, humidity and brain-eating amoeba.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Lol...sink holes can be anywhere, such as Alabama this past Fall, due to very bad weather, but yes we had a sink hole actually behind our back yard, 2 months back.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I live in Miami, FL. I've lived here all but the first six months of my life. I consider Miami to be fast-paced, busy, loud, at times fun, and perhaps even overcrowded. Miami's crowdedness will become extremely evident whenever you try to go from point A to point B during rush hour, which, unfortunately, consists of several hours during the morning and several more in the evening. The roads can become a battlefield at almost any time of the day.

Where in Florida you decide to live also depends on your lifestyle. If you are younger and like to party (or older and like to party all the same), then you will find Miami Beach to be a satisfying choice.

Orlando shares some of the features of Miami, but without the extreme craziness.

The most beautiful places I've ever been to in Florida are the islands of Sanibel and Captiva. It won't be cheap to live there, but if you can afford it, then go for it.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I live in Miami, FL. I've lived here all but the first six months of my life. I consider Miami to be fast-paced, busy, loud, at times fun, and perhaps even overcrowded. Miami's crowdedness will become extremely evident whenever you try to go from point A to point B during rush hour, which, unfortunately, consists of several hours during the morning and several more in the evening. The roads can become a battlefield at almost any time of the day.

Where in Florida you decide to live also depends on your lifestyle. If you are younger and like to party (or older and like to party all the same), then you will find Miami Beach to be a satisfying choice.

Orlando shares some of the features of Miami, but without the extreme craziness.

The most beautiful places I've ever been to in Florida are the islands of Sanibel and Captiva. It won't be cheap to live there, but if you can afford it, then go for it.
Thanks Rafagon, I'm not quite sure where in FL I want to be but I'm after warm weather and peace and calm (not that I don't like the party scene once on a while), your insight is appreciated!

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Thanks Rafagon, I'm not quite sure where in FL I want to be but I'm after warm weather and peace and calm (not that I don't like the party scene once on a while), your insight is appreciated!
What is warm to you? Just curious. It's cold here right now.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Warm to me is rarely dipping into the 50's lol

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Warm to me is rarely dipping into the 50's lol
Well where I am in Pensacola we have seen very cold weather which was uncommon in Oct and Nov. So did Alabama obviously. The high today is 61 but I don't like that either. I love 70+.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I've lived in Florida for most of my life. I now live in NE Florida and love it. I still go to the beach almost every other weekend most of the year. If you like living around water, Florida is the place. If you're not by the beach, there are lakes and rivers everywhere. The heat an humidity can be overwhelming during the summer if you're not used to it. Home prices are pretty good here right now. If you like night life, South Florida is the place to be. If you have a family, the theme parks are a great place because you get Florida residents discount. You never have to worry about snow tires or wintering you vehicles. The west coast is beautiful and have awesome beaches and sunsets. The only thing we have to worry about every year is hurricane season. Sports is really big hear with multiple professional teams and colleges. If you like hunting, there's lots of that here. You like island life, the Florida Keys have it. Taxes aren't bad. It's really flat here. Watch out for gators. Grass is really high maintenance because of St Augustine grass that needs lots of water. Weather can change drastically throughout the day. Especially during the hotter months. Fishing is great. People think that just because Florida is in the south, we have a bunch of Southerners here. Not true. We have a lot of snow birds and people from other states who retire here. I think it's a great place to live.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Brain eating?! Yikes!!!! I'll just stay out of the water LOL
But they only eat microscopic amounts. You'll never even realize they went missing.

The heat an humidity can be overwhelming during the summer if you're not used to it.
I moved here (Miami) when I was six months old and I've failed to get used to it. :D

People think that just because Florida is in the south, we have a bunch of Southerners here. Not true.
And if we did have a bunch of Southerners here, I think I would like it a little better. Southerners rock.

Last edited:

ricks2gtouch

Zealot
Silver
Feb 20, 2009
Florida
I grew up on the Space Coast (Kennedy Space Center area). Moved away for a bunch of years and then came back 10 years ago. Property taxes and homeowners insurance can be pricey depending on where you live. No state taxes. Low sales tax, where we are anyway - 6%. We live in a small city, the space program cutbacks had a negative economic impact, but we are starting to come back. Not much excitement around here locally, but we have the beach close by and Orlando is just an hour away. Fishing is great around here.

The amoeba issue is a concern for swimming in fresh water. Our kids aren't permitted. Salt water is fine, though.

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
I was originally from NY, but my family moved to FL in 1980 and my parents still live there now. I lived in West Palm Beach for 2 years and then Pompano Beach (just north of Fort Lauderdale) for 6 years. My parents now live just south of Daytona Beach. The one thing I love about FL is the beach and still miss it. I visit my parents every year and my daughter and grandson love the beach now. I'm not a fan of the heat and humidity and that is the main reason I never moved back to FL after the military. I always joke with my parents about FL being the sunshine state, but CO gets a lot more sunnier days than where they live in FL. FL is a great place to visit, but I could never live there again.