Florida?

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I have finally decided to travel to the States for a couple of weeks on a half leisure half medical trip. I wanted to do that last year but unfortunately things didn't work out the way I wanted them to, but hopefully this time it will as I am already in the process of renewing my passport and visa.

I have already been to NYC twice and I want to visit a new place, and I thought about LA but I heard it was really expensive and it does not have the clinic I want to visit, which is Mayo Clinic. That clinic is in Jacksonville, Florida which is a 5-hour drive from South Beach, where I was going to be staying.

Has any of you ever been to Jacksonville? Is it a nice play to stay in? Friends told me that South Beach is probably the best place for a tourist in Florida as it has a lot of activities and such. Or should I just go to LA and find another similar clinic for diabetes over there?

What do you guys think? I'm probably going to be renting a car for the two weeks but a 5-hour drive is too long!

As for the accommodation, I checked and found some good offers on Booking.com and a good car rental service called Thrifty. Does anyone know any better places to check? I believe the going rate for a compact car is around $25 USD per day.

When I calculated the flight, accommodation, and car rental in South Beach, Florida, I found myself paying around $3700 USD for the whole trip which is good.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Oh and any tips on staying safe? I know that sounds funny but Google rendered some not-so-nice things about crime and theft in Jacksonville.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Unfortunately, I stopped playing the game after reaching level 15 because everyone is hacking so it is no longer fun. :D

Do you recommend a specific area for vacation in Florida, besides Jacksonville (which according to many, many people on the internet is not very safe)? Or should I just go for a place in LA?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Unfortunately, I stopped playing the game after reaching level 15 because everyone is hacking so it is no longer fun. :D

Do you recommend a specific area for vacation in Florida, besides Jacksonville (which according to many, many people on the internet is not very safe)? Or should I just go for a place in LA?
Never been to Florida.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I'd like to, but I'm probably going to LA this time after talking to friends of mine who have been there. I've always wanted to visit Hollywood and Las Vegas, which is like a 4-hour drive away from LA right?

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I can probably find some affordable motels or such to sleep in while I am at Vegas, correct?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Cool. You can cruise the back alleys looking for Pokemon with Rafagon.
Just had to pick on me and my Pokémon, didn’t cha? Gonna have to send in my Vaporeon to kick your behind. :D
I can probably find some affordable motels or such to sleep in while I am at Vegas, correct?
I’ve never been to Vegas, so I can’t comment on that. South Beach is a lot of fun. I used to go there often in my 20’s and early 30s when I still had a life. My last time there was to go to the Apple Store to get my iPhone 5s.
Oh and any tips on staying safe? I know that sounds funny but Google rendered some not-so-nice things about crime and theft in Jacksonville.
Yes, always be aware of your surroundings and, if possible, be with a buddy with street smarts and who can fight effectively, and carry a stun gun and/or can of mace. I would say get an actual gun but I don’t know what the laws surrounding that are (i.e. can you shoot someone in self-defense?, etc.). But those are general recommendations and not specific to Jacksonville.

Orlando is also a fantastic place to stay and it’s much closer to Jacksonville than Miami Beach. Plus there are dozens of theme parks there. Well, maybe not dozens, plural, but probably about a dozen or so.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I’ve never been to Vegas, so I can’t comment on that. South Beach is a lot of fun. I used to go there often in my 20’s and early 30s when I still had a life. My last time there was to go to the Apple Store to get my iPhone 5s.
Rooms there are pretty reasonable, especially during the week. They want you to spend your money on gambling.

LA will be overwhelming. But quite an adventure. Not sure you should be driving there given the tales we've heard here about your, um, skills ;). It is crazy driving. Lived north of LA for 28 years and avoided going whenever possible.

Orlando is a great city, clean, fairly safe, lots to do and see, and closer to your clinic than South Beach. I lived there for a year and loved it!

And ignore the suggestions regarding stun-guns, mace, street fighting, and especially real guns; you shouldn't be going anyplace where you might need them.

You didn't way when you were going but Florida will be nicer than LA if it is wintertime (before about March).

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
A.png

The only little problem with that logic is that you never know for sure “where you might need them.” It’s not like they post signs that say “You might need a weapon when entering this area.”

I’m sure you remember the Orlando gay nightclub mayhem earlier this year, and you (and I) both just recommended Orlando.

Headlines like this are far too common:

Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 2.29.33 PM.png

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I appreciate and understand Raf's concern, but to be honest I'm not too big on weapons at any case. My country has been in turmoil since 2011 and I pretty much had to learn how to take care of myself and how to stay safe, but of course it will be much harder to do in another country, especially in states as big as California and Florida. I'm still undecided on where I should go, but I have at least found a couple of apartments I can rent in either state for a good price; do you guys know anything about Sherman Oaks in LA? I found a decent apartment for a really good price and it has great reviews but I'm unsure about the neighborhood.

As for the clinic, I found a couple of other clinics specialized in Diabetes in LA so that's not going to be a problem. I'm honestly leaning more towards LA, especially since Vegas is a 4-hour drive from it.

...do you guys know anything about Sherman Oaks in LA? I found a decent apartment for a really good price and it has great reviews but I'm unsure about the neighborhood....
Although I haven't been back to CA in a number of years, the Sherman Oaks section was a pretty nice area with lower crime rates than most of the LA basin. A quick look at recent online information suggests that it remains a fairly nice neighborhood.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Good luck driving in LA. Lots of police chases and road rage. Jacksonville isn't bad. Every city has its bad places. LA has South Central, Jacksonville has the Northside. Mayo Clinic is downtown so you won't have to deal with the Northside. The Gulf Coast has beautiful beaches and sunsets, Tampa area. Orlando/Kissimmee area is great with all the theme parks, Disney World, Universal Studios, etc. Just be prepared for the heat and humidity if you visit during the summer months.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
Sorry RAF, I just don't think that suggesting our friend from Egypt should pick up weapons to travel as a tourist in the USA is wise or warranted.
Oh, cmon now, even our current vice pr silent advocates for everyone to buy a shotgun!!