FM Radio and Data usage on iPhone 4

1. yellowstone

yellowstone New Member

Hello all,
    For couple of years I used Samsung phone and I was able to make and receive calls without 0 call drops. I used to carry a 5th Gen iPod 60 GB and a tiny FM radio to listen to local radio stations and NPR.

People suggested me that I go for iPhone instead of carrying 3 different gadgets. As my AT&T contract was up for renewal I thought of taking this chance to buy an iPhone. I atlast got my iPhone 4 from the Apple store. There are many great things about iPhone as all you know.
    I went for the cheapest data plan 200 MB @$15.

I installed iHeart Radio and NPR on my iPhone and obviously configured my email.

2 days after using I promptly got an email from AT&T that I have exceeded my data limit and they are going to charge me $15 more and $10 for every 1GB.

Now I sincerely feel that iPhone is not for me. Though AT&T falsely claim with there crappy statistics that there is a few percentage of users who cross 2GB limit, I spoke to around 30 of my friends/Colleagues who use iPhone and they told that they all cross 2GB.

Without able to use FM radio on my iPhone I don't think I need an iPhone. My question to you guys is, is there any way I can have something like a tuner or something so that i can listen to radio without burning data and paying ransome to AT&T.

By the way I travel 3 hrs everyday in the bus and cannot kill time without FM radio.

Please advice.

2. Picazzo

Picazzo Zealot Gold

Sorry to say - it has nothing to do with your iPhone 4!? Sure...we need that FM-radio in the hardware, and not by downloading data, but still - it's your data-plan at AT&T...not the iPhone!

Go buy one of these small FM-radio's and use your iPhone headphones for that.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. casssax

casssax Member Bronze

The $200MB plan is a complete rip off if you use your iPhone for anything other than just a phone.

Think about it, for 60% of the price you get 10% of the data. Then if you go over your 200mb you get only 200mb more, so now your paying $30 for 400mb when you could have had 2GB for $25. So if you used 2GB on your plan you would pay $150/month.

I've never tried to stream audio for 3hrs a day, but in over a year of having an iPhone the most I've ever used is about 500mb in one month. I find it a little hard to believe that 30 of your friends have iPhones and all go over 2GB a month. (maybe you meant to say 200mb in one month. That makes perfect sense to me, I've used over 200mb every month my self and don't do any music streaming.)

You do have some options. You could do something other than listen to FM radio. You could put some music on your phone and listen to that. You could put a movie on your phone and watch that for 2 of the three hours. You could play a game or two. You could download some podcasts at home and listen to them on the phone.

If you really want to listen to FM radio, I used to have a little 4GB mp3 player by (SanDisk I think), that also had an FM radio tuner built in.

I still think it's a little strange to go over 200mb in 2 days if you only use it for three hours a day.

5. kyleplusitunes

kyleplusitunes Member Silver

or upgrade to the 2gb plan, without a jailbreak you'll be hard pressed to break 2gb. but don't buy a 200mb plan and whine that 2gb isn't enough. that's like buying a chevette, and saying because you drove a chevette a corvette isn't enough car for you.

6. maximo916

maximo916 Member Bronze

7. rangers85

rangers85 New Member

If you are planning to listen to radio on the phone for hours a day upgrade to 2GB immediately. Thankfully I'm grandfathered in with an unlimited plan because I go over 2GB every month listening to online radio while at work 4-5 hours a day during the week. Between pandora and the XM app it eats it up quick.

8. iiPaDFooT

iiPaDFooT Member Bronze

Wow I needa try to get my hands on a 2g after I buy my iPhone 4. That'll really help me cause I currently listen to Pandora 9 hours a day at work with my Droid, and I'm gonna have to cut down once I switch over.

9. mmanu74

mmanu74 New Member

Go for the ipod nano 5g or 6g mate........njoy;)

Sent from my iPod touch using iCafe app

10. Krabby1

Krabby1 New Member Bronze

I don't see why OP is blaming this on AT&T when it was the OP that fail to read the fine print or do proper researching before locking into such contract.

11. Chex

Chex Member

The first 2 emails you get are warning you that you are headed toward your 200mb limit. If you didn't receive them then you heve a legitimate beef with Att and I really beleve that they would credit you.

I have gotten these emails on my kids $15 plan. Then I can choose to upgrade on the fly (which I have done once).

Try the 2 GB plan it's really hard to use it up. Use wifi when ever you can.

12. iP5

iP5 Evangelist Gold

If FM radio is a must, then an unlocked HTC Desire should run on AT&T. It has a built-in hardware based FM tuner. You could easily trade your iPhone 4 for D+cash.

Sent from my iPhone4 using iCafe

13. Watcher

Watcher Zealot Gold

I can understand people's need to listen to the radio as it constantly plays "random" music but rarely do radio stations give that much variety to where you don't hear the same songs within just one hour. It's for that reason I stopped relying on the radio over a decade ago and worked on building my personal music library by gathering favorites from the past and present to such a point where I don't need to rely on any station for random music. As a result, my collection has exceeded 20,000 songs. It's funny the reaction I get when people will ask if I heard the "new" group or song on the radio to which I reply, "I don't listen to the radio. I haven't in over 10 years." They assume I don't know what new and interesting music has came out but I thoroughly keep abreast of current artists and selections with iTunes and Amazon just fine.

I mention this because it might be a consideration if you prize music as much as I do and are selective with what you listen to. Rarely to radio stations really and truly give you new artist's entire albums as they only regurgitate what has been spewed forth ad infinitum due to what the music industry companies decide to keep in rotation to increase buzz. The alternative? Paid music stations like Sirius and now free stations such as Pandora. However, even with Pandora, if you want a clear and crisp broadcast of your music not being under the sway of radiowave "reception" and such, you pretty much have no choice but to pay someone money whether it's through your cellular carrier, a dedicated service or, my personal favorite, your own music collection.

14. iP5

iP5 Evangelist Gold

Should also note that the OP listens to NPR so maybe its not just music that he/she is looking forward to. I for one also enjoy CBC Radio One which does not play much in the way of music (NPR in Canada).

15. casssax

casssax Member Bronze

16. Nosaj13

Nosaj13 New Member

17. Nosaj13

Nosaj13 New Member

works great

Just received it...works flawlessly for my needs. Using it to pick up the audio for the tvs at the gym which is broadcast over FM. No problem picking up my local FM radio stations either! Can't beat it for $16.

18. iP5

iP5 Evangelist Gold

I just found out that the iPhone4 and iPod touch have FM receivers that are used to work with the Nike+iPod app. Its a full fledge receiver. Is there an app in Cydia or JB community that couples the necessary FM Radio software?

19. gotta_luv_ct

gotta_luv_ct New Member

I listen to Pandora every day and average about 5 hours When I last checked, I average 1.8Gb a month.

I am not sure how he could rack up 2Gb in 3 days.

FWIW....I live the NPR and Pandora!

20. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius Platinum

He said he surpassed the 200mb in 3 days not 2GIG's, either way everybody was complaining before because they wanted an iPhone but they didn't want data, now they give you just enough, not happy still, what's next. Even I know that 200mb listening to the radio is not gonna be enough, use wifi.