FM Transmitter for iPhone 3G?

Jul 12, 2007
Melbourne, FL
I'm a little upset because I bought a Belkin FM transmitter for my car in April for the first generation iPhone and now I got the iPhone 3G and there's no way I can use it again because of the tapered edges.
Does anyone know if there's an FM transmitter for the iPhone 3g? :mad::mad::mad:

Sep 7, 2007
It appears that the Kensington LiquidAUX for iPhone and iPod works with it, the latest guy to review it says it works.

joeg679

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
A friend of mine just got the new belkin tunecast at the Apple store for 99.00, he said it works great, but I want one where I can hold the phone in my hand and change the music if I want, the belkin is basically a holder that plugs into the cigarette lighter.

Sep 7, 2007
If you have the dough, the Griffin iTrip AutoPilot works very very well, no airplane mode message, charges it and plays music. It also has an international setting where you can put your setting for Europe or Japan and it will play through those stations and it sounds amazing.

iphonebob

Jul 8, 2007
A friend of mine just got the new belkin tunecast at the Apple store for 99.00, he said it works great, but I want one where I can hold the phone in my hand and change the music if I want, the belkin is basically a holder that plugs into the cigarette lighter.
I'll second the "Belkin Tunecast" ---- the older version (model # F8Z176) works great with the 3G phone. The "airplane" pop up comes on when you dock it, but you choose to stay out of this mode and it works fine. Most of the Apple stores carry the old version (listed for ipod) at their stores in stock

I Really like the point of just pluging it in to the cig lighter and sliding the 3G in and out of the cradle. It's way more conveniant than others and charges the phone as well as streams music over the car speakers, even "Pandora" works great

I have been serching for the newest model "F8Z183" which is compatible with the iPhone but Apple website shows 6-8 weeks out on availability. I'm also told that Target may carry the same product.

DJXP

Dec 12, 2008
I have the Canada Drive Safe Complete, its really good, the clarity of the fM transmitter is clean and the handsfree is great, www.canadadrivesafe.com

Its the OEM brand, there are cheaper knock offs on eBay but those ones beep every 45 seconds where the Canada Drive Safe version doesn't beep.

M.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
We found a Belkin Tunecast model F8Z182 at our local Apple store and it's great. It works with the 3G and has a much better signal than others we've had. It was about $80 but worth it.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
If you have the dough, the Griffin iTrip AutoPilot works very very well, no airplane mode message, charges it and plays music. It also has an international setting where you can put your setting for Europe or Japan and it will play through those stations and it sounds amazing.
This is a very good unit and if you go ahead and put it in international mode and use 87.7 or 87.9 FM you will be good to go.

Flyingstar

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
So. Cal
I have the Canada Drive Safe Complete, its really good, the clarity of the fM transmitter is clean and the handsfree is great, www.canadadrivesafe.com

Its the OEM brand, there are cheaper knock offs on eBay but those ones beep every 45 seconds where the Canada Drive Safe version doesn't beep.

M.
On your advice I bought the canada drive safe complete. Music works great but hands free has LOTS of static and volume of call is VERY low even with phone turned all the way up!

Flyingstar

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
So. Cal
A few more flaws: The flex neck is not strong enough to keep the unit (with iPhone in it) in place, it constantly moves out of the position I set it in from road vibration and soon becomes in the way of the shifter. My phone keeps making the same sound it makes when first plugged into my computer, over and over at about a fifteen second interval. sometimes there is no sound and I have to unplug and replug it before it works again. all in all I can't recommend this product to the forum members.

DJXP

Dec 12, 2008
On your advice I bought the canada drive safe complete. Music works great but hands free has LOTS of static and volume of call is VERY low even with phone turned all the way up!
I have this also and the voice is very loud so im not sure what could be wrong, also there are NO beeps, so obviously you received a defective unit, have you emailed them at all about this? Ive not only bought this myself but have another few close friends buy these from them & again, nothing wrong, so for sure there is something wrong with yours.

You may want to check with them

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
This is the one i have http://store.apple.com/us/product/TR015LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0Mw&mco=MjE1NTkzNA

it works well , the only trouble i have with it is the station doesn't lock so it can be bumped and changed and where i live there are tons of tv towers within 2 miles and in that area i get a lot of static. but overall it works very well

I also hate fm transmitters but its the only option i have i drive a Volvo XC90 and its damn near impossible to put an aftermarket stereo in it

Kareless

Mar 9, 2009
How do I set the Griffin Autopilot?!

I have a griffin autopilot and I don't know how to set it to my radio. It's not the itrip so idk what station to tune to so kan u help me kuz I hate listening to the radio!

Flyingstar

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
So. Cal
Replacement

they are sending me a replacement
The replacement worked about the same as the first one. iPhone constantly makes the "charging chime" the whole time it's in the unit. the flex "neck" is not strong enough to hold the iPhone in one place and "droops" until it interfears with the shift. THUMBS DOWN on the canada drive safe complete.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
Forget the FM tranmitter they all suck. Get a cassette tape adapter.