FM Transmitter for iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by LivePsalm91, Jun 24, 2011.

1. LivePsalm91

LivePsalm91 Member

My husband and I an iPhone 3G and 4. I want to purchase a good FM transmitter for an upcoming road trip. Can anyone offer any expertise on this product?

2. LivePsalm91

LivePsalm91 Member

Is there anyone out there who can help me purchase a FM Transmitter for use with an iPhone?

3. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Have you got an aux jack to the car deck? Superior to an fm transmitter IMO.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

4. LivePsalm91

LivePsalm91 Member

I'm not sure. But I'll know by tomorrow. My husband is talking car for final check then. I can call and ask the dealer if I cannot easily find the answer. I drive a Cadillac DTS and have no idea where it would be. Thanks for steering me toward a better solution.

5. Rictur

Rictur Member
    Bronze

6. Rictur

Rictur Member
    Bronze

If you have the Bose system in your DTS, you should be able to get a connector cable directly into the stereo. I just set this up in my Escalade. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using the iCafe app.

7. LivePsalm91

LivePsalm91 Member

Thanks Rictur!

8. LivePsalm91

LivePsalm91 Member

Plug and go. I wanted to get something mounted but my husband didn't. Not important enough to
    push the issue.

9. LivePsalm91

LivePsalm91 Member

Thanks. I saw the products on Amazon (my second home ;)), but I also wanted some advise. This is helpful though. I couldn't find a article on consumerreports.com. I like using Amazon when nothing is on CR because of the customer reviews. Thanks again!

10. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Threads merged and moved to the iPhone Accessories section.

11. dturner

dturner Zealot
    Gold

They are pretty much junk. Very hard to get a clear channel. I would stay away from them.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

12. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I agree with dturner. What about using an app like pandora, I heart radio, etc...?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

13. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

If you're looking for a radio app, try WunderRadio.

14. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Totally agree, FM Transmitter's suck on any/all platforms. Just didn't want to be the first to post it as I try to observe a general rule of not being the first to post negative comments on this forum given my bent ;)

I don't understand though, how an internet radio app helps her need. I think her intent is to play her iPhone media through the car speaker system. I'd only recommend two routes on this; cable via an Apple connect or aux port on the deck to do male-male 3.5mm or whatever that pin size is and/or BT deck but other's will need to chime in on BT compatibility as Apple products have a history of being finicky in this arena. No jibe intended.

15. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

I wire or BT a feed from my media device(s) for those long road trips where you're out of range from your usually radio station and/or can be in territory that is not served by radio in general. I don't know if such space can be found in the southern US but up here in Canada, it's quite typical of our cottage country.

16. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

For the life of me I'm not sure what the Op is looking for. The iPhone will not transmit FM & it will not receive it. Maybe needs an App like radio.com or WunderRadio that will allow access to FM stations.

17. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Simple, imagine a speaker dock but instead of speakers, transmit the audio signal to an FM frequency that the car radio can pickup. It works fine as long as the transmitter is stronger than actual radio signals around the channel being transmitted. Typically the accessory also charges the iPhone/ipod.

With said accessory your music collection is heard through the car system for the benefit of all the passengers.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

18. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Well then you could get an A2DP BT speakerphone that transmits on an FM frequency. I happen to have one of these. But, you're right. If there is a frequency too close to the one selected by the BT device, you can get a lot of bleed over.

19. LivePsalm91

LivePsalm91 Member

I purchased the Satechi FM Transmitter through Amazon after reading lots of customer reviews online. It was defective, but the company was great and immediately replaced it in time for our vacation. We used it throughout our vacation road trip (2000 miles) and it worked fantastically the entire time. Thanks!

20. Dynamic8

Dynamic8 New Member

For your upcoming road trip,it would be more fun for that if you own one All kit charger with USB+Car charger.Or you could simply get one FM Transmitter as we all did while traveling.