FM transmitter messed up iPhone 3G

iAsh

Jul 31, 2007
She plugged it in her car to see if it works.. it did. However, after leaving her vehicles she noticed that the picture of the white Apple keep flashing on and off. The only way to turn it on was to charge it. After turning it on while charging, the sleep button stopped working and when it automatically sleeps (1min setting); it would turn off the phone and it will do that flashing white Apple screen again.

The silent switch 'broke off' of its grove as well when we were tryin to mess with it to get it to work. We just stuck it back in.. looks like it just need some glue\adhesive to hold it down better.

Just going to return it and get a 16 gig (white).

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
hopefully theyll take it. because usually they don't do returns or replace anything that shows accidental damage. scratches are ok but large dents and broken parts arent

iAsh

Jul 31, 2007
the broken silent switch wasn't actually 'broken' it looks like the glue they used to put it on wasn't strong enough. it easy goes right back in just its still loose unless i put some loctite on it.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
oh ok so they wont even notice it then because theyre not gonna flip the silent switch lol

iphone1027

Bronze
Jul 2, 2008
She plugged it in her car to see if it works.. it did. However, after leaving her vehicles she noticed that the picture of the white Apple keep flashing on and off. The only way to turn it on was to charge it. After turning it on while charging, the sleep button stopped working and when it automatically sleeps (1min setting); it would turn off the phone and it will do that flashing white Apple screen again.

The silent switch 'broke off' of its grove as well when we were tryin to mess with it to get it to work. We just stuck it back in.. looks like it just need some glue\adhesive to hold it down better.

Sounds like the transmitter created a short circuit.

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007

How are you gonna return it for another one? It's her fault. First of all, why would she plug it into her car anyway? That's pretty dumb.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
How are you gonna return it for another one? It's her fault. First of all, why would she plug it into her car anyway? That's pretty dumb.
from what i understand she only plugged it into a car fm transmitter for ipods and stuff which should work. so it isn't her fault unless im reading wrong. and also you don't have to give them a full story at the Apple store just tell them you don't know why but its acting up tehyll look at it and see that its actin up and give you a new one.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
your statement seems kinda dumb i charge my iPhone in my vehicle all the time . Ive never harmed it. Sounds to me like the phone may have had the problem

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
your statement seems kinda dumb i charge my iPhone in my vehicle all the time . Ive never harmed it. Sounds to me like the phone may have had the problem
My statement is dumb? People who just plug in the iPhone using any plug into their car are dumb.

iphone1027

Bronze
Jul 2, 2008
My statement is dumb? People who just plug in the iPhone using any plug into their car are dumb.
Just wondering how you can plug any type of connector to the iPhone when it takes a specific kind of plug? Its not like it were a generic type connection.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
Are they made by Apple or 3rd party? Most 3rd party plugs always mess up the iPhone.
most fm transmitters are made by 3rd party i don't even think Apples made one for the iPhone

Joon

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
I would fail to mention to the Apple genius how this happened. I would just say it was on the kitchen table and then when you looked at it, this is what you got. If they say anything about the silent button, I would say you were trying to see if you could fix the phone and it just fell off. The less you say the better off you will be.

iAsh

Jul 31, 2007
stop flaming, not cool calling her dumb.

first of all, it was her first iPhone. plugging it into an fm transmitter so she can listen to her music (which worked). fm transmitter is an alternative to getting an aux port.

chill. its returnable anyways.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
We wouldn't be flying airplanes if it weren't for...dumb. This will actually save a few phones out there if people come across this thread. I would've assumed an iPod/iPhone intended device would be ok to plug into. There will be many more of these "I fried my iPhone" threads in the coming days. Remember this is the first "work week" with the phones getting plugged into devices at work sites and friends' carpools. Good luck!