"Foggy Display" after sleep

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dmoskaluk, Jan 1, 2016.

1. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

I remember this "Sleepy Start" happening a few times when on Mountain Lion, but it was remedied from Mavericks on.. Now that I've done the El Capitan upgrade, once again my iMac will show a 'foggy' display when awakened from sleep. It also takes a few seconds to establish connection with both keyboard and mouse ( stock wireless keyboard, magic mouse ) ..Before the update I had simply tapped the space-bar or done a mouse click to awaken but I must now tap the power switch to start getting things back to life - not a serious issue but definitely a change. I imagine that the space-bar tap and or mouse click to awaken don't work right off because in its sleep state the bluetooth isn't active. This only happens after sleeps of several hours -i.e. I have it sleep after 45 minutes of inactivity, and most 'daytime re-awakenings' are thus normal, with only longer ( 4 hours or so +/- and overnight sleeps whether automatically entered or manually selected, causing this behaviour. My power preferences have display and computer sleep the same at 45 min, and 'put hard disks to sleep when possible' - Any thoughts would be appreciated

2. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

Further to last- on awakening I now see ( on the foggy display as dots, ) or if I get the white display with Apple logo, a 'progress bar' as one would see during a software update, for about 20-30 seconds as the awakening occurs... Ive never seen those before in the 3 years I've had this computer.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The blurred display upon wake is normal on OS X. The clear background appears after login. It sounds like your Bluetooth devices aren't auto-connecting. Remove (unpair) these devices and then pair them again and reboot.

4. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks - what has me scratching my head is why the fog happened a few times when the desktop was new ( 3 years ago) but didn't happen at all once I did the Mavericks update. I skipped Yosemite ( long story) but did El Capitan recently and the fog now happens every morning, and as well if the machine has had a longer sleep. I will un-pair and reconnect the mouse/keyboard as a few Bluetooth functions have changed as I can only now use Airdrop with the phones and my iPad. I am reassured that the computer is simply mimicking the behavior of its owner with the slow starts and foggy views first thing

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

If you prefer not to see this blurred wallpaper, you can actually get rid of it, if you don't mind following a few steps. I can confirm that it does work.

Note that if you change your wallpaper, you would have to perform these steps again.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

There is nothing wrong with your computer regarding the blur. It is a visual effect that is normal on El Capitan when you wake it from sleep. Apple programmed it to do this. It didn't do that on Mavericks when woken from sleep. I think it did it during the set up process on Maveriks.

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Yes, it is totally normal. It does not mean anything is wrong. But you have the option to avoid it if for some reason you would wish to.

8. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks kindly - considering I rarely change wallpaper and usually just give the computer a knock as I pass it I will probably just leave it as the delay less than a minute. I will bookmark your link with a fix however, as I'm inclined to procrastinate fiddling until the details escape me. All the Best for a Safe, Healthy, Happy and Prosperous 2016 and beyond..

9. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

OK- not wishing to sound like a total idiot - but I have two queries - assuming that the mouse and keyboard reconnect shortly after the fog goes away, I assume that un-pairing and re-pairing is moot as they have not 'lost' the connection, it is merely delayed..... BUT.... if I un-pair them, I'd be losing control of the computer, then to reboot I would have to use the power switch- & once it comes back would they r-connect automatically? I could plug in USB accessories ( keyboard & mouse) but my gut ( yes, I'm a big NCIS/Gibbs fan) tells me that in the reboot the reconnect should happen on its own (??)

10. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

Just did current 'bug fix' update for El Capitan.... Will advise tomorrow if it still is foggy after extended ( 4 hrs +) sleep......

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You might have missed my other posts. The blurred (foggy) wallpaper is not a bug. Apple programmed OS X to have this visual effect upon waking from sleep when the password is required. iOS also has a lot of blur effects.

If your computer is set to require the password after four hours, that is the point that you will see the blurred wallpaper and password box. Here are screenshots of mine.

When password is not required:
    Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 10.26.38 PM copy.png

When password is required:
    LWScreenShot 2016-01-26 at 10.28.21 PM copy.png

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Agreed. Checked it myself, and you are correct.

13. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

Interesting - I have never set a password to awaken, ( I used to protect laptops, but since the iMac sits in a den I figured it was overkill) so the fog never should have been happening ( only since the El Capitan Update) and guess what - since the bug fix, and an overnight sleep, a tap on the space bar, and voilĂ - no fog and instant usability. Also, while the fog was happening, I could awaken with a mouse click or keyboard tap so they were connected BUT it tool a minute or so for the mouse to be able to move the cursor - now all's like it used to be, instantly, so there has been some issue in its Bluetooth with has been rectified.

14. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

And speaking of Bluetooth, what might be of interest to some is that in my case, after the El Capitan Upgrade, "Airdrop" the iMac and the tablets and phones became very iffy. I didn't have time to fiddle around ( nor the skills and knowedge) however after the bug fix update, it now snaps right to it, so there were a few Bluetooth glitches dealt with successfully. I can't help but think that keyboard initial sluggishness and the delay with the mouse /cursor are all related. All are now working seemingly faster than I've seen since I've had the computer ( a but over 3 years)