Folks Expecting WAY too much from SDK!

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
Gonna be some dashed hopes for a while....in terms of the content and timeline of the releases.
Sources have reported significant controls over what's released.....certainly jailbreakees won't find anything to jump up and down about...except perhaps games.
To be honest, if I could get the capacity to configure a personalized homepage out of SDK, I'd be happy, but that's likely to be reserved for V2.
The 3G V2 release will also have camera upgrade, video recording, and businesss/office apps (including stuff we've been crying for).

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
As time keeps passing you are probably correct.. im sure we will see some upgrades though... flash and mms will probably be with the v2 iPhone.. I don't care though I plan I waiting in line for iPhone2 this time

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Who are these 'sources'? Do they include Apple? Because if not, you, like everybody else outside of Apple, can't confirm anything. My phone is jailbroken, and has been for quite a while; I'll be Restoring come the SDK. I'm very excited about it.

- John

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Who are these 'sources'? Do they include Apple? Because if not, you, like everybody else outside of Apple, can't confirm anything. My phone is jailbroken, and has been for quite a while; I'll be Restoring come the SDK. I'm very excited about it.

- John
i agree with everything you just said =]

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD

- John
I've noticed several rumors posted on sites like Apple Insider or Mac Rumors regarding the upcoming SDK announcement on the 6th of March. One item which has me particularly concerned is whether Apple will severely lock down what is eventually permitted to be developed for the iPhone. If the restrictions are particularly unreasonable, the SDK may turn out to be nothing better than an upgrade to the existing web apps currently available.

We'll have to wait and see, of course.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I've noticed several rumors posted on sites like Apple Insider or Mac Rumors regarding the upcoming SDK announcement on the 6th of March. One item which has me particularly concerned is whether Apple will severely lock down what is eventually permitted to be developed for the iPhone. If the restrictions are particularly unreasonable, the SDK may turn out to be nothing better than an upgrade to the existing web apps currently available.

We'll have to wait and see, of course.
wasn't the whole point of the SDK- to use apps thats arent web based?
Like any hand held device, I want apps that don't require me going to a webpage just for the ability to do some basic tasks.

Faralon

Jan 14, 2008
MMS for v2 would cause an outrage, since it's software related on Apples end. There's no reason this phone shouldn't have it.
AGREED, crazy how long we've been w/o MMS as far as I'm concerned. You can MMS w/ phones that are much more "simple" as we all know. What gives!

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
They're probably working on getting it to integrate nicely with the existing text message interface - i.e. having pictures and videos inline with the text message conversation. That can't be too easy a thing to accomplish...although it is the logical thing, the optimal user interface experience being Apple's biggest selling point, and all.

Faralon

Jan 14, 2008
I hope you are absolutely correct fury.