Followup to My Nexus 7 Purchase

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Napoleon PhoneApart, Nov 5, 2012.

1. A followup on the Nexus 7, running on Jelly Bean 4.1.2:

Not a bad little device, but still plagued by rendering problems in browsers, ala the checkerboard effect of older iPhones. Some apps are nice, but many really are written for other devices with different screen sizes and firmware revisions. For instance, my Xfinity TV app is totally unusable on the Nexus 7. A lot of Nexus 7 owners online are reporting similar problems with the app. Many owners are also reporting that the Xfinity TV Player app doesn't work, either.

Don't get me started on email. A lot of users are reporting that outbound emails end up stuck in the outbox, especially if pictures are being sent. I researched possible solutions, including using third-party apps, but nothing has worked so far.

AirSync works well, though, for moving music and video over to the 7. Videos look good, and apps such as Dice Player play a wide range of video formats. Battery life is very good for me as well.

The 7 has also spontaneously rebooted on me once in the short time I've had it, though I don't really count that as a minus; other devices do this occasionally.

For those interested, the Nexus 7 Geekbenches at around 1400.
  2. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius

That's cool man, I'm glad you're happy with it. I recently went the Android route when I bought the HTC One X and I upgraded it to a custom Jelly Bean ROM since the official one is not out here yet, or not for the One X in general (not sure).

It is a pretty nice phone with decent specifications and a great camera, at least compared to my BlackBerry's, and I am happy with it overall. However, maybe it's just me but I feel like it's missing something. I mean when I had the iPhone I used the phone a lot, I wouldn't let it out of my sight, it had something special about it and iOS in general was user-friendly and nice to play around with, whereas with Android the only time I actually use the phone is to make and receive phone calls or periodically check my email. For some reason it won't push my emails through even though I have it set to do that, and I tried playing in the settings to no avail.

Also the applications on Google Play store aren't as good as the ones on the App Store, if I am honest, and iOS certainly has a better variety and quality of applications, at least from the ones I've used I cannot generalize.

As for bugs, I have only been using it for about a week and a couple of days now but I have not experienced any serious bugs or technical problems yet. Also the battery life is superb but that's probably because I rarely ever use the phone, I actually charge it like once every couple of days and it never drops below 50%.
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Uh, I'm not that happy with it. It's cool, but for a supposed quad-core running 4.1.2, it's a bit laggier than I'd expect. The other issues I described are ridiculous. There are some things I like about the 7, but the negatives, at least for me, are pretty strong.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius

I wouldn't know, to be honest. The One X is a Quad-core 1.5 GHz as well but it's pretty snappy, but I am guessing the larger screen of the Nexus may have something to do with the laggyness? After-all is said and done, though, Android still feels a bit laggy and sluggish compared to iOS.
  6. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist

Lol! Thats what I got from your post.
  7. Breadbag

Breadbag Member

I felt the same way...more than anything I wanted to learn the OS. BUT I sold it on eBay last week in a quick one day auction to go toward the mini.
  8. It's definitely not a piece of junk, but the basic problems I and many others are having with it or the system that surrounds it really put me off. If you bought a computer that had problems sending email, would you return it? I would.
  9. Breadbag

Breadbag Member

yes I liked the screen, size, & feel but it seemed sluggish at times. I really wanted to like it more, but I didn't. I had some email issues also.
  10. dokken2007

dokken2007 Member

I thought you used an iPhone, or do you have both ?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe app
  11. I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad 3. I was looking for a smaller, lighter tablet that I could use as an e-reader and perhaps a bit more.
  12. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius

I liked the size but choice of quality tablet apps just aren't in the Play Store yet.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. The size, weight and display are very nice. Still want some more time with it.