Food Poisoning?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I know this a completely random topic for a tech forum however, I think I'm suffering from food poisoning. I ate fish on Tuesday night and I've felt funky ever since!

Has anyone else ever had it? I feel rotten, as if something's going on inside my stomach...

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I know this a completely random topic for a tech forum however, I think I'm suffering from food poisoning. I ate fish on Tuesday night and I've felt funky ever since!

Has anyone else ever had it? I feel rotten, as if something's going on inside my stomach...
Very possible, but you should never ignore the possibility that something else may be going on, if you experience chest pain or discomfort, nausea/vomiting, malaise, you should see a Dr.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Has no one considered the possibility that this could be an alien?
Alien 6.jpg

Seriously though, I hope you feel better soon, John. Gastroenteritis and foodborne illness is no fun. I puked seven times in one day last December after I ate a soft pretzel at the mall. That was a miserable 18 hours.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I am sorry to hear that, John. I have had a couple cases of food poisoning before but the symptoms were always much worse than the ones you're experiencing. It always starts as a very hard stomachache, then turns into vomit, and later into diarrhea and the cycle keeps going on. If so, you'll have to take a shot every day for about three or four days in order to cleanse your stomach.

Another symptom I remembered is waking up and belching sulfur for a whole day or two, which is like a really bad taste in your mouth, almost like rotten eggs, when you burp.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Very possible, but you should never ignore the possibility that something else may be going on, if you experience chest pain or discomfort, nausea/vomiting, malaise, you should see a Dr.
I have felt nausea, especially when standing but it doesn't always happen. I've not been sick, although I have sometimes felt as if I need to be sick. Discomfort is definitely a symptom of what's going on, it's not pain, just not nice or normal if you get what I mean. I've not had chest pain as such but I've felt a weight behind my chest - it's weird. The last thing I want is to end up in hospital. Again. About two months ago I was admitted for a scan because I was getting pain in my groin. On the day of my scan I felt extremely unwell, the scan person told me to go straight to my doctors. I visited the doctor straight after and got sent directly to hospital... ended up on morphine and was a complete zombie for a few days. Had further ultrasound scans and a CT scan. My stomach felt as if someone had their hand inside squeezing my bowel, stomach and everything else in there. 5 days later (after receiving nothing but painkillers) I started to feel better. The cause of the pain is still unknown.

I had to wait a month to have a camera put inside to have a look round - came back clear. Now after a few weeks of feeling quite happy and well, a week after the camera I feel terrible. My stomach feels as if it's bubbling a little bit. It's Sunday today, I'll probably book in at the out-of-hours doctor to see if they can advise anything.

I'm really really bored with feeling crappy, 2013 hasn't been the best year for my health.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Not sure where you have been or what you have eaten. Perhaps you should think parasitic (not being funny) invasion and not food poisoning. Whatever is going on you are certainly wise to seek medical attention.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm a little bit surprised that they let you leave the hospital in February without determining the etiology of the pain. At the hospital I work in, we don't send people home who are having significant abdominal pain, especially not before scoping them at the hospital first. I remember you saying you were on strong painkillers at home. If an upper and lower scope came back negative but the pain continued, they sometimes do exploratory diagnostic laparoscopic surgery to determine the cause.

I wish you the best of luck with this. Hopefully the other problem is resolved and this illness quickly improves. Since this could be related to the undiagnosed abdominal problem from a couple months ago, I recommend returning to the hospital if the symptoms don't resolve very soon.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I'm a little bit surprised that they let you leave the hospital in February without determining the etiology of the pain. At the hospital I work in, we don't send people home who are having significant abdominal pain, especially not before scoping them at the hospital first. I rememeber you saying you were on strong painkillers at home. If an upper and lower scope came back clear but the pain continued, they sometimes do exploratory diagnostic laparoscopic surgery to determine the cause.

I wish you the best of luck with this. Hopefully the other problem is resolved and this illness quickly improves. Since this could be related to the undiagnosed abdominal problem from a couple months ago, I recommend returning to the hospital if the symptoms don't resolve very soon.
I've been on the phone to NHS Direct this morning, I am worried that it's connected to what's previously gone on. I only had the camera thingy under two weeks ago. NHS Direct service thinks I've just got a standard tummy bug, and it'll clear on it's own. With regards to my previous hospital trip I'm waiting to see a consultant to discuss the colonoscopy and previous hospital visits. I don't really have much faith in our hospital services anymore.. they get people in and push them out as fast as possible.

I don't think it's anything to do with with my bowel, this issue is to do with my stomach. It might simply be a tummy bug, but I am worried that it's something else. But I imagine the CT scan I had a while back would have picked something like that up. Just wish there was a tablet you could take which fixes everything instantly.