For all those with horrible 3G reception

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
I also have horrible 3g service in Southern Cal. I can't figure out if its AT&T prematurely launching 3g or if its the phone itself? It seems *most* people on the East coast do not have problems with AT&T but I don't hear many success stories out here.
AT&T had 3g long before the new iPhone came out. my girlfriend has a crappy lg flip phone from almost 2 years ago that has 3g, and I had a blackjack II with 3g before the iPhone. reception is awesome here, we're in dallas, tx.

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
AT&T tells me there are five towers within a three mile radius (or vice versa; can't remember) of my home and there shouldn't be any issue with 3G reception. Personally I believe it's a hardware issue.

pdxrealtor

Bronze
Aug 7, 2008
I have one tower within 1.1 miles, and another in a different direction with 2.5 miles. Both 3G....

No doubt it is APPLE.

nbdiver

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
I have one tower within 1.1 miles, and another in a different direction with 2.5 miles. Both 3G....

No doubt it is APPLE.
I would have to agree, I was told by an AT&T representative that I had close to 100 towers in my immediate area, not sure what radius he was talking about but he said I should have no issue with 3g service in my area. The Apple tech that was on the phone with us was speechless at that point!

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Interesting thing is when I scheduled an appointment with the Genius Bar I had, get this, 5 bars strong 3G reception inside the damn Apple Store. Of course, the genius pointed out that the 3G was obviously working correctly. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I do but it makes absolutely NO difference whether the case is on or off. Always the same. I even had the first gen case on in the Apple Store when I got full 3G bars. I wonder if the better question would be when was your phone purchased. just curious

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
i was just asking because a ist gen case wouldn't allow the new iPhone to shut the screen off during a call, which could cause your cheek to hit the "end call" button making you think you had a dropped call. I got my phone on the 14th, it was fine, reception was great but I returned it on the 31st because the glass didn't sit right. No dropped calls on either phone, so let's recap: one on the 14th - no dropped calls, one on the 31st - no dropped calls.

I'm not that lucky..........am I?

pdxrealtor

Bronze
Aug 7, 2008
I had that 1st gen case probem.... I got a new leather case.

That is why I set up the blog, so people could report when they bought their phones, and what country they are in, prooving that it is an Apple problem.

www.fixmy3giPhone.com

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
i was just asking because a ist gen case wouldn't allow the new iPhone to shut the screen off during a call, which could cause your cheek to hit the "end call" button making you think you had a dropped call. I got my phone on the 14th, it was fine, reception was great but I returned it on the 31st because the glass didn't sit right. No dropped calls on either phone, so let's recap: one on the 14th - no dropped calls, one on the 31st - no dropped calls.

I'm not that lucky..........am I?
that's because Apple moved the sensor to the other side of the ear piece. A hole puncher can fix that.

YvilKittyInSpace

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
Interesting thing is when I scheduled an appointment with the Genius Bar I had, get this, 5 bars strong 3G reception inside the damn Apple Store. Of course, the genius pointed out that the 3G was obviously working correctly. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I was at the Apple store in Boulder Colorado two times this week. Both times outside the store, I had five 3G bars. Inside the store, it would fluctuate between 0 and 3 bars. It would literally fluctuate in my hand and the Genius hand. This alone got me an exchange and the new iPhone behaves the same way.

The new iPhone has 2.0 on it and I'm going to keep it that way till the next update is released. With 2.0, I seem to be able to get 3G service on most of the top floor of my home when under 2.0.1, I was lucky if I got 3G for a few seconds.

Kentucky

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
If other 3G phones are getting much better reception on AT&T's network it doesn't leave you with too many other possibilities as to who is really responsible.
It can STILL very well be all ATT's fault . Don't think for one minute that they can't, via their towers/software settings, give preference to which customers and when they want ?! They sold and provided for ,back in the beginning, the owners of the Blackberries and such who were their highest paying -doctor-lawyer-broker customers and do not now want to piss them off . They can stack any or all other calls to give preference to whom they want putting all others on hold, less power , late emails ....anything they want ! and don't think they can't . They know that the millions of iPhone users use high amounts of bandwidths with the internet-email-game-etc etc. and they have to appease the Blackberriers by limiting all others !

crupp

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Atlanta
For those couple people on this post who have GOOD reception, go to www.fixmy3giPhone.com and let us know when you bought it.

I'm willing to bet that if you sent my your iPhones, I would have the same problem here as I am having with my iPhone. I get great 3G service in some areas, but I get great 3G services in A LOT more areas with my other 3G phones, side by side with the iPhone!
I totally agree just put my SIM in Moto Q 3g and full bars, put the SIM back in my 3g no bars. There is no doubt the 3g coverage problem is an iPhone problem and not anAT&t problem

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
It can STILL very well be all ATT's fault . Don't think for one minute that they can't, via their towers/software settings, give preference to which customers and when they want ?! They sold and provided for ,back in the beginning, the owners of the Blackberries and such who were their highest paying -doctor-lawyer-broker customers and do not now want to piss them off . They can stack any or all other calls to give preference to whom they want putting all others on hold, less power , late emails ....anything they want ! and don't think they can't . They know that the millions of iPhone users use high amounts of bandwidths with the internet-email-game-etc etc. and they have to appease the Blackberriers by limiting all others !
LOL.

So let's piss off the iPhone owners and give them bad 3G bandwidth. That way the fastest selling and most demanded phone in our inventory will get a bad reputation and not sell anymore. And we can also take care of thousands of complaints about the coverage.

I myself am going to go with the more plausible explanation. The iPhone's reception on some user's phones is due to the phone itself.

Please tell me who really shot President Kennedy.