For all those with horrible 3G reception

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I've been getting 3 bars or more lately of 3G. Once in a great while, it would switch to EDGE for some odd reason. Turning the iPhone off and on would fix that though.

Kentucky

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
^^

That's the most ridiculous black helicopter theory I've ever heard.
You can 'black-helicopter it' all you want . I had a problem a while back whereas my iPhone would start 'losing bars' every day until around 5-6 pm (coincidentally when lots of professional blackberry users would be doing less usage ?!) , Fine all nite then around 6-7 am would start being poor again. during this time , my psuedo 'GPS' would stop showing me as being less than a mile away and instead show me in the center of a town across the state border 8, EIGHT miles away . Lots of other poor reception problems were going on also. I talked to ATT help and of course they said it was an iPhone problem . They switched me to Apple help who advised me sending my phone to them to check out (giving ATT the benefit of the doubt) . Three days later , I received my phone back with an evaluation which said there was absolutely nothing wrong with the phone after an exhausting and detailed diagnosis and check . !
Sure , there are iPhones which can and do go bad , just as as heart pacemakers or any type of electronics , but I'll bet you that the percentage of iPhone failures are among the lowest of most any other type of equipment out there. If you live in big city metropolitan areas , you probably do receive good ATT coverage/quality, that's also a large number of professional, and service personnel and their account dollars they have to 'uphold' . I'm not in a real large metro area as such, but the 3G ATT coverage map shows I should be very well covered as a 'strongest' area of transmission/reception but you know what ?... I have pretty damn poor 3G . It's sure NOT the iPhones fault !

pdxrealtor

Bronze
Aug 7, 2008
I'm not in a real large metro area as such, but the 3G ATT coverage map shows I should be very well covered as a 'strongest' area of transmission/reception but you know what ?... I have pretty damn poor 3G . It's sure NOT the iPhones fault !

Kentucky, check out my website at www.fixmy3giPhone.com

This IS an iPhone problem. Att is going to bandaid it in the US, starting 9/30/08 IN MY AREA OF TOWN by going to the 850MHz band.

What are all the overseas companies without the 850 MHz option going to do? Apple screwed up and went cheap on the chips to sell phones for cheaper....

Check out my site, log your 3G issue and post your comments.

epyonjk

Aug 6, 2008
For some reason I do not get good 3g service at all. And it frequently goes to Edge network..like in my room i have full bars pretty much on Edge. and it is not switching back to 3g..problem?

Deltido

Bronze
Jun 27, 2008
I've been getting 3 bars or more lately of 3G. Once in a great while, it would switch to EDGE for some odd reason. Turning the iPhone off and on would fix that though.
You know..if you go to options and turn off 3g let it switch to edge..then turn it back to 3g that will get you the 3g back on. That's a lil faster than turning the phone off and on ;) Just something I discovered.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
im sure att is working on getting 3g to be better not just for the iPhone but for all the other phones and pc cards that rely on it

Deltido

Bronze
Jun 27, 2008
im sure att is working on getting 3g to be better not just for the iPhone but for all the other phones and pc cards that rely on it
According to quite a few posts, many other 3g AT&T phones are not having the same problems the iPhone's are.

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
because i mean...seriously...i didn't pay $300 ($200 for some) for a crappy network when I can be using a phone thats 10x's better and doesn't cost as much to use/own! WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO HAVE A FUNCTIONAL NETWORK

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
mine is functional, actually I've had two 3g iPhones so far, both had great reception. 4 of my co-workers have 3g iPhones, all have great reception.

epyonjk

Aug 6, 2008
Just search how much 3g activity you have around your house at attwireless.com. I literally live in no 3g network. Town over from me has 3g..when I am in 3g reception I generally get pretty good signal

pdxrealtor

Bronze
Aug 7, 2008
All of Apple's contact info, tons of articles, and you tube videos are up on my blog, posted above.

blulegend

Jun 12, 2008
Just search how much 3g activity you have around your house at attwireless.com. I literally live in no 3g network. Town over from me has 3g..when I am in 3g reception I generally get pretty good signal
The ATT map shows a blanket of 3G coverage over the Silicon Valley. But I can attest that 3G reception here is super spotty. Frequent dropped calls as well. Also, the EDGE service doesn't seem to penetrate buildings very well.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
in the uk the network in general isn't that bad, but i have similar issues mentioned previously, its like i'll have full 3g signal and safari wont load travian/skynews football scores etc.. it makes me want to pull my hair out!
then it comes up with some window on the screen saying network error and some little message that makes me want to snap my phone in half!

the only way i've found to temp fix the problem is do the settings/network and turn of 3g, but sometimes when i do that EDGE doesn't work either!
one other method that i've found which is far quicker than turning your phone off would be to go for airplane mode, cycle it and it starts working again! weird ay?

adlx21

Bronze
Jun 21, 2008
I just checked that site and there is a TON of BLUE(3G coverage) color where i live. In the sunset district of San Francisco. and yet my 3g gets 1 bar basically everywhere in the sunset district! >_<