for every one with dropped calls.. or "terrible" service

Devori

Jun 15, 2007
Long island NY
March 25
The importance of power-cycling
Hey folks.

If I may, I'd like to take a second here to make an important public service announcement that I hope all wireless phone users will keep in mind: Regularly power-cycle your phone.

I recommend once or twice a day, minimum. Take your phone, turn it off for about 30 seconds and turn it back on. You'd be surprised how often that will fix those dropped calls, delayed voice/text messages and other "Network Errors". Trust me people, I've been in the wireless industry for 6 years.

I know, I know, you never turn your phone off because you just may miss an important call. If you have voicemail then why are you worried? It's only 30 seconds, people. Twice a day. More so if you happen to be roaming out of your home area. If you drove from Vancouver to Halifax (or maybe from California to New York) without turning your phone off, the network will have a hard time finding you. It's true.

The average range of a cell tower is anywhere from 1 to 20 kilometers, depending on what's around it. For every so many towers there's a switching station that processes all the calls going through the towers. Every now and then, calls and text messages and ringtones and such will get stuck.

Also, think about this: There are MILLIONS of wireless customers all trying to share the same towers. The company I work for has 54 million customers! Sometimes the system gets a little plugged up. When you turn your phone off, then back on, your phone will automatically search for the best available connection to the network. So if you're talking to your friend and y*crackle crackle* sudde*crackle*y drop the call, don't swear and throw your phone into the lake (the warranty department won't help you AT ALL). Just turn it off for a few seconds, you don't even have to wait the full 30 seconds, 20 will do just fine.

There you go. No need to bother the customer service reps at the call centers. We're trying to sleep.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It's a good point to stress. We must remember that the iPhone is a computer with a phone application on it. Just like any app, the phone app is subject to memory constraints and other OS issues that can cause unreliable performance over time without rebooting.

The iPhone is pushing its built-in memory very hard with the rich applications it runs. Rebooting helps keep things running smoothly.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I turn the phone off every night and have done so since the V1 days. I really believe this is why I don't get the dropped calls, freezes, crashes, ect. It is a good practice to follow. If you use the phone as an alarm, do as OP suggested and find 2 minutes in the day to reboot. It will pay off in the long run.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Since 2.2.1, a reboot on my stock iPhone takes less than a minute.

If you don't want to have to think about it, just wait until you're done using your phone for a moment and are about to put it in your pocket. Do a hard reboot (press and hold home and lock for 10 seconds) and just put it in your pocket. It will take a bit longer, but unlike a normal reboot, it will power up to a locked screen, so you don't have to worry about waiting for it.

ktownerxx213

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
Los Angeles
same with blackberry and same with iPhone 3g...
Hope there was a battery pull for iPhone 3g :D haha

Skiergary

Dec 8, 2008
reboot APP needed

Can anyone program an app to do this reboot automatically?

Mar 14, 2009
Dropped calls

I work tech support for Tmobile and I shut my phone off for about 5 min at a time in the morning and mid day and STILL drop calls. I cancelled my employee line that was $10 a month and switched to att for better service. I am still getting dropped calls. I have not called att yet, (just started service with them last Week) I called tmo many times for the issue and power cycle is all I would hear. Sometimes there really are issues that power cycling and cancelling the location on the network just won't fix. Is anyone else having the same issue?