****for Everyone With Low Volume***

Jul 3, 2007
Lehigh Valley PA
Yeah myself and a friend of mine also think the speaker phone is too quiet but the headphones are great IMO. If I had to guess about why its soo quiet is that they are worried about the speaker blowing out somehow. I had 2 Treo 700Ws speakers blow out on me and think that was the issue. Just a thought. I love my iPhone though, BEST PHONE EVER! :laugh2:

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
My volume is really bad too-unacceptable for a phone that was suppose to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

spud2007

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Agreed.... The volume ringer and speaker phone is a little hard to hear. Once the recipient answers the call its fine though (ring out is kind of hard to hear).

VegetaDad

Jul 14, 2007
My Solution for Volume Problems

I was having the same low call volume problem that everyone else was having. I found a solution that worked for me....

While on a call I pushed the Volume Up button and the volume went up to a useful level. It's not great but it's much better.

Apparently the volume settings on the iPhone are at half for everything until you find them and change them. When I was using the earbuds, I turned up the volume and it got better but when I unplugged them it was back at half for normal phone use. I haven't tried this with the speakerphone yet but I would wager that it would hold true as well.

I hope this is helpful.

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
I was having the same low call volume problem that everyone else was having. I found a solution that worked for me....

While on a call I pushed the Volume Up button and the volume went up to a useful level. It's not great but it's much better.

Apparently the volume settings on the iPhone are at half for everything until you find them and change them. When I was using the earbuds, I turned up the volume and it got better but when I unplugged them it was back at half for normal phone use. I haven't tried this with the speakerphone yet but I would wager that it would hold true as well.

I hope this is helpful.
I'm pretty sure anyone that has ever owned a cell phone realizes you can turn the volume up and down.

chakraj

Jun 30, 2007
BRILLIANT I say, who would have ever guessed that the volume level could be fixed by turning it up. Oh my gosh, next you will tell me you can save the battery by doing something like turning the phone off when you are not using it, now that would be a cool feature.

VasiliosKN

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
NY - Miami
I sure hope they fix this volume issue, its funny how my music plays so loud but when i get a phone call (at max volume mind you) the ringer is pretty low. I also find myself putting the speakerphone right onto my ear just to hear anything which kind of defeats the purpose no?

eric1952

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
low volume

I'm going to Apple in an hour. We'll see what the story is with the low volume, if it's just my phone or all iPhones. I'll up date about 3 hours from now.
my phone also has low volume,but the volume through the headphones is loud and clear and the mic is clear.hopefully there will be a update to fix the problem.

GQmacguy

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
So did this guy get banned for this thread? It had to be something different than this....
I'm sure it was not the thread... on reviewing all his posts, they were all increasingly negative. He was an unhappy individual I guess.

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
many are unhappy with the volume on the iPhone... What sucks more is that there is only one speaker and that one is low and distorted when loud sometimes... Too bad the other thing that looks like a speaker is only a mic

Jul 15, 2007
I'm going to Apple in an hour. We'll see what the story is with the low volume, if it's just my phone or all iPhones. I'll up date about 3 hours from now.

For all iPhone LOW volume, Please check the RECEIVER ( at the top of the phone) not bloked by any plastic screen protector. I phone volume is quit good. I also had low volume, when my receiver was covered by the plastic sheet. Remove a rectangle slot in the plastic screen prodector to expose the receiver to the ear.

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
For all iPhone LOW volume, Please check the RECEIVER ( at the top of the phone) not bloked by any plastic screen protector. I phone volume is quit good. I also had low volume, when my receiver was covered by the plastic sheet. Remove a rectangle slot in the plastic screen prodector to expose the receiver to the ear.
You should note that this advice will only help people who are actually idiotic enough to not remove the plastic.

Hecubus

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
tkrishnamurthy said:
You should note that this advice will only help people who are actually idiotic enough to not remove the plastic.
QFT! I think there was only one other person on here who had that problem. Now there's two (still, I checked anyway. :sick:)

In all actuality, to poster tkrishnamurthy... thanks for the advice, but informally, I'd think most people who have an iPhone are complaining about the low volume from the speaker phone and the actual ear receiver. If you're not having that issue, then I can truthfully say I'm jealous.

woodb

Jul 16, 2007
I think I remember reading (from the logs of the iPhone hacking irc channels) that one of the things they found out that the max volume was set to "7" on a 1-10 meter. I think that they were implying that they could hack it to be lounder (or more likely, Apple could address this in a firmware update).

I might have daydreamed this whole thing, but I honestly think I remember reading this..

PS: I love my phone regardless of my opinion of the speaker phone volume :)

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Yes, I too am in love with my phone and settling I guess. I have to just quit thinking about the $500 and accept it.
Now I must go,
my precious awaits for me to pick it up and see if it has any missed calls or missed txts for me. lol:laugh2:

daviddogma

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
WOW! I did not think about removing the plastic! I've had the phone going on 3 weeks now and....

THE SPEAKERPHONE STILL SUCKS!

Yep, the plastic has been removed.

I agree that the volume control needs work. If I am in a quite environment with no other ambient noise it works just. i.e. my house or office (I have an enclosed space - not in a cube farm) but if I am driving in my car the speaker on the iPhone is pretty useless if they are a lot of other road vibrations, air conditioner running etc. It doesn't seem to be a problem with volume per se but it seems to canceled out by other noises in particular in the lower spectrum. Another "volume" issue however is the controls do not seem calibrated either with headphone or speaker. By that I mean that I usually don't hear much until the slider is around 75% to the right and then it goes way up but it's practicially silent until I'm between 50% and 75% of the slider. It seems I should hear a little something around 20% but I don't and my ears are usually very sensitive.