****for Everyone With Low Volume***

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
My earpiece volume is just fine. The speaker phone is somewhat low, but it's nothing that I can't live with.
headphones and/or bluetooth does work fine but if you have ever tried to use the iPhone as a phone with out a headset for bluetooth, forget it.

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
headphones and/or bluetooth does work fine but if you have ever tried to use the iPhone as a phone with out a headset for bluetooth, forget it.
And wouldn't you agree that such low volume is unacceptable for a 600 dollar device?

chakraj

Jun 30, 2007
The iPhone comes in a nice black cardboard box like thing. do you think if i remove the phone from that i will have a louder speaker? maybee thats been my problem all along. Just kidding guys. my phone has been perfect, i have a phone with the "5" screen maybee the low volume is an issue with the phones with the 7 screen? ( i know the screen wont affect the volume but maybee other components or settings are different also):)

gt1948

Bronze
Jan 30, 2007
Memphis
And wouldn't you agree that such low volume is unacceptable for a 600 dollar device?
bytch bytch bytch.....

Do you all work for MS?

My phone works great....nothing else like it on the market period.

Speaker could be louder , I agree, but that is something I can live with. Matter of fact I am getting use to it more and more.

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
i want my speaker louder for sure , but im not returning my phone cause of it . i hacked my v3xx's, krzrs's for higher volume i know you will be able to with the iPhone . im not worried.

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
bytch bytch bytch.....

Do you all work for MS?

Speaker could be louder , I agree, but that is something I can live with. Matter of fact I am getting use to it more and more.
I'm sorry that you're a semi-conscious drone that is hand fed thoughts instead of thinking for yourself and recognizing obvious problems and pointing them out.

daviddogma

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
The iPhone comes in a nice black cardboard box like thing. do you think if i remove the phone from that i will have a louder speaker? maybee thats been my problem all along. Just kidding guys. my phone has been perfect, i have a phone with the "5" screen maybee the low volume is an issue with the phones with the 7 screen? ( i know the screen wont affect the volume but maybee other components or settings are different also):)
Nope...I have a 5 and the speaker sucks.

daviddogma

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
bytch bytch bytch.....

Do you all work for MS?

Wow. Talk about a leap. Point out (keep pointing this out to keep this thread alive) an obvious flaw in an otherwise sound product and.....you work for MS. Why does one have to learn to "live with it" or "get used to it"? What happened when Apple demanded more from a product? You must enjoy reading the "bytch bytch bytch" as you have sifted through 11 pages of this. Notice the name of the thread?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I just got my iPhone the other day and I too think the volume should be better. Coming from a Sprint Treo 650 I am well-acquainted with poor volume. I doubt I would have kept my Treo if it weren't for the app VolumeCare, which turned things around 180 degrees.

After reading about the iPhone volume issue I was concerned that it would be like my Treo's, or worse. Fortunately--at least the headset volume-- is not as bad as my Treo's (otherwise I'd be returning the iPhone). It definitely needs improvement, but at least it's not quite bad enough to warrant a return.

One thing I have noticed is that the "fidelity" of the iPhone's speakers is better than my Treo's (even without VolumeCare--which can really distort sound). I wonder if Apple kept the volume to a minimum to prevent distortion? That might make sense for the headset, but not the speaker phone.

Either way my iPhone is still less distorted than my Treo is without VolumeCare. This leads me to believe an improvement is indeed possible, though perhaps at the expense of a little distortion, which I'd gladly take--as I did with my Treo--instead of the inability to hear at all in noisy situation.

As a side note about the only thing I used the speakerphone on my Treo for was when on hold or for dialing my bank's info line, weather, movie times, etc. Aside from the on-hold use the other items were replaced, before I got my iPhone, with equivalent Web use (my bank, BOA, recently added a nice mobile version of their site--finally). But that doesn't mean I still don't want louder volume from the speaker out of my iPhone: even though the speaker is adequate for non-phone use IMO it could still be louder (e.g., for showing someone a video in a loud environment). Again I'll take the extra volume at the expense of distortion if that's the only alternative. I've been overdriving the amp and speakers on my Treo for a few years now and they haven't had a problem yet.

P.S. - I don't mean to be insulting to those who posted the "tips" about increasing the volume with the volume rocker or removing the plastic shield, but dayum, that was kinda funny. Ditto for the tip about changing volume in settings, which is the same damn thing as the rocker. Again, don't mean to be insulting!

Mike

el31415

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
The iPhone was designed for quiet people

G

gerardrj

Low volume here

I purchased an iPhone about a week after their release when my Nextel contract expired. I really like the phone overall with the exception of the most common complaint: low call volume.

In a quiet room I an use the handset speaker just fine with the volume set about 1/3 to 1/2 volume. But get in to a moderately noisy environment and things go downhill VERY fast.

A good part of the reason I purchased the iPhone was an upcoming vacation to NJ to visit the parents. I knew I'd be going to NYC and Philly, placed I'd not visited in years so the Google Maps and HopStop.com functionality would be a treat.

Unlike most, I don't have a real problem with the EDGE speeds. For what I used the network for it was plenty fast. What concerned me was the almost complete ability to carry on a conversation with the phone in a city. My first experience was when my sister called me and I was standing in Bryant Park; I could hear about every 5th word she said. Yes, I tried moving the phone around to align the speaker with my ear to no avail. I finally told her (blindly) to SMS me and I'd reply then I hung up.

Another call I was in a store down in the Village, off the street with the door closed, and was just barely able to hold the conversation with the internal speaker. On this call I tried enabling the speaker phone, holding the bottom of the phone up to my ear with the speaker phone at full volume I was actually able to hear the caller clearly and they could hear me.

This call volume issue might be aleviated by either a BT headset or using the supplied headphones, but I really don't cherish the idea of carrying around another device. I'm with a previous poster: this is completely unacceptable in a $600 device who's main purpose is being a phone.

My Nextel i860 was no looker, but I rarely had any issue hearing the caller like I do with the iPhone.

mrsackler

Jul 18, 2007
Okay, this may shed some light on the situation, for those of you who believe that those of us who report volume issues are just "complaining."

I exchanged my first iPhone after noticing several dead/stuck pixels. The volume of the speakers at maximum was so loud I was scared it was going to damage them, so I never set it above 3/4 of max. I am a drummer, and I usually don't wear earplugs. On the "new" iPhone they gave me, at 1/2-3/4 volume it is almost inaudible. Same with the earpiece. My first iPhone had a series 6 screen. The "new" one has a series 7 screen, which is also much much dimmer and not nearly as clear and beautiful as the first one. Not to mention the grid of little white dots that is clearly visible from every angle.
My point is that not all iPhones shipped with the same components. Those of us unfortunate enough to get one of these sorry pieces of garbage know this without a doubt. I NEVER should have exchanged it.

If you would like to know what version of screen you have, as well as other info dial *3001#12345#* [choose the Versions menu, and check the first digit of the LCD Panel ID value]. This will enter your iPhone into field test mode. Do not change anything in this mode, as you will almost certainly screw your phone up even worse.

Please believe me when I say this: One iPhone is NOT the same as the other. They all ship with different components and while most of them are pretty good, some of those are severely sub-standard. This is well documented in other forums and in this forum under other threads.

spscoral

Jul 3, 2007
I find the volume very low even after depressing the top button to max. The ring volume is very low also. I keep the phone in my shirt pocket while at work, and have missed several calls even with the vibrate feature turned on. Granted, I have a "bullet proof vest" on, and car stereo, work radio going, but I did not have the problem with my previous phone.

That is my main complaint so far (other than att service). The rest of the features work great. I don't know if the phone is not ringing, or if I am missing the tone and vibrate.

billchase2

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Okay, this may shed some light on the situation, for those of you who believe that those of us who report volume issues are just "complaining."

I exchanged my first iPhone after noticing several dead/stuck pixels. The volume of the speakers at maximum was so loud I was scared it was going to damage them, so I never set it above 3/4 of max. I am a drummer, and I usually don't wear earplugs. On the "new" iPhone they gave me, at 1/2-3/4 volume it is almost inaudible. Same with the earpiece. My first iPhone had a series 6 screen. The "new" one has a series 7 screen, which is also much much dimmer and not nearly as clear and beautiful as the first one. Not to mention the grid of little white dots that is clearly visible from every angle.
My point is that not all iPhones shipped with the same components. Those of us unfortunate enough to get one of these sorry pieces of garbage know this without a doubt. I NEVER should have exchanged it.

If you would like to know what version of screen you have, as well as other info dial *3001#12345#* [choose the Versions menu, and check the first digit of the LCD Panel ID value]. This will enter your iPhone into field test mode. Do not change anything in this mode, as you will almost certainly screw your phone up even worse.

Please believe me when I say this: One iPhone is NOT the same as the other. They all ship with different components and while most of them are pretty good, some of those are severely sub-standard. This is well documented in other forums and in this forum under other threads.
i have version 7 and have none of the problems you've mentioned. it looks great!

mrsackler

Jul 18, 2007
i have version 7 and have none of the problems you've mentioned. it looks great!
Well then count yourself lucky , because thats exactly what you are :). Check this pic out:

http://rama2.homelinux.net/maxbrightqb9.jpg

Notice the grid and the obvious brightness difference. It really sucks, especially if you've had the good one then got stuck with a bad one.
Also, if you have a good screen like I did at first, you might be able to see that little grid very very faintly in the background, but only if you look very closely. I think it serves some function as a component of the touch sensor. But on screens like the one in the pic above it is plainly visible from any angle or distance.

If they were all like this it might be easier to cope with, but knowing there's one out there that looks and sounds so much better really makes it hard be satisfied. I know this isn't how Apple intended it to be. I just want the one like I had, but with no dead pixels or almost inaudible volume :(

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Well then count yourself lucky, because the problem does exist. Check this pick out:

http://rama2.homelinux.net/maxbrightqb9.jpg

Notice the grid in the back ground and the obvious brightness difference. It really sucks, especially if you've had the good one then got stuck with a bad one.
This is off-topic in this thread, but I wouldn't say he's lucky regarding his LCD. Based on the threads I've read he seems to be in the majority.

I'd also bet that if in a test x number people were told they were getting a swapped out iPhone, but instead got the very same unit back, a certain percentage would think the replacement-that-wasn't-really-a-replacement was somehow better or worse. (Generally speaking! Don't mean to be pointing the finger at anyone specifically.)

--
Mike

Zorn

Jun 25, 2007
Columbus, OH
My iPhone is a 5 series screen, and while the screen looks fantastic the phone is insanely quiet, and I find myself constantly wishing for more volume in calls. Plug in the headphones, however, and calls are blaringly loud and I have to turn down the volume. I see no reason this can't be addressed in an update.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Version 7 screen

Sir,
I am not disputing your claim to your phone being defective. I understand, it's your phone and only you know what is right and wrong with it. I am replying to your post because you may have gotten another bad phone. The screen version on my phone is 7, and it's bright and clear as ever. I am truly impressed with the clarity. I do wish the volume could be louder. I mostly use a headset, so that issue doesn't bother me much. I do understand the people who hold the phone to their ear, may be dissatisfied. I have a PPC-6700 from Sprint also, you can only use it with a headset, if you want to hear the other caller. So the iPhone in comparison to that phone, sounds like I'm in a concert hall. I guess that is how I got used to, constantly using a headset. Anyway, other than the handset volume. I have had absolutely no problems, with my phone. You might need to go back to the Apple store, why be unhappy with your purchase? M

Sir,
I am not disputing your claim to your phone being defective. I understand, it's your phone and only you know what is right and wrong with it. I am replying to your post because you may have gotten another bad phone. The screen version on my phone is 7, and it's bright and clear as ever. I am truly impressed with the clarity. I do wish the volume could be louder. I mostly use a headset, so that issue doesn't bother me much. I do understand the people who hold the phone to their ear, may be dissatisfied. I have a PPC-6700 from Sprint also, you can only use it with a headset, if you want to hear the other caller. So the iPhone in comparison to that phone, sounds like I'm in a concert hall. I guess that is how I got used to, constantly using a headset. Anyway, other than the handset volume. I have had absolutely no problems, with my phone. You might need to go back to the Apple store, why be unhappy with your purchase? M
I have a 7 also and my screen is perfect.

As far as call volume in my car, I have my phone paired up to my GPS so with that I have no volume problems. I also know when I get a call, it is displayed on my GPS screen with an audible alert and the option to ignore or answer.